SAU Community

Coil packs cunundrum

Does anyone know about how the coilpacks on a rb25det fire.

Have just wired up Microtech ltx12 but can not get a spark. Everything seems fine everywhere else on the conversion, thouhgt only could be is coil packs. Does anyone know how you can test them.

I doubt all your packs have failed at once. I believe they are fired sequentially...did you set your program for this??

The CPU was already setup for the engine and it was set for sequential fireing the only other on it was direct fire which is off.

are you using the ignitor module or are you earth the coils straight from the computer

There is no earth from the computer to the packs, the two wires from the computer are power and pulse the earth is on the packs. Where is the ignitor module located, I was led to believe that the LTX12 controlled all of that.

The igniter is the rectangular box located on top of the head at the rear, up against the firewall, sometimes it's actually on the firewall. About 4ins x3ins x1ins deep

yes i know that there is not individual earths ect what i should have said was are you still using a nissan ignitor module or is the computer pulsing the coils for you????

The computer pulses the coils or is meant too, the thing is i have pulse up to the packs but no spark at the plugs, plugs are all fine, and I thought I may have wired somthing wrong somewhere.

The packs themselves have three wires earth, power and pulse the microtech LTX12 has one main power wire and individual pulse wires(one wire for each pack) but no earth. I have wired the earth to the body but to no avail and because it is an engine conversion can't look for ignitor, even though the comp is meant do all that.

Any and all ideas are welcome because I go home and try them all out.

found a diagram of the LTX12 wiring for the packs looks easy but nothing happens. Have to find way of posting it is to big.

is there an earth to the cradle that holds the coils thats also earths to the head, make sure thats there and try using the earth off the engine before using the body.... check your plugs casue if they are iridiums or anything the foul up easily and once they have been drowned ie sitting there trying to start the car they will be rooted for life they are a waste of money get some stockies and gap them down to .8mm....

is the rb25det a series 1 or series 2 motor??

series 1 have a igniter pack on the back or the coil cover .

series 2 motors have the igniter in the coils themself's or in the comp..

you may have to get a igniter pack or module to fire the coils..

is there an earth to the cradle that holds the coils thats also earths to the head, make sure thats there and  try using the earth off the engine before using the body.... check your plugs casue if they are iridiums or anything the foul up easily and once they have been drowned ie sitting there trying to start the car they will be rooted for life they are a waste of money get some stockies and gap them down to .8mm....

Getting confusing, keep forgetting how my own computer works. There are the six wires for each individual pack (pulse) and two earth wires that join into one which was attached to the heads but i have moved to several other locations to no avail. I have even attached the earth from the packs to the computer earth, still nothing. I have tried to download the wiring diagram to the thread but it is to big, but you can check it out at, http://www.microtech-efi.com/downloads/65.pdf. Might give you some idea rather than my ranting.

is the rb25det a series 1 or series 2 motor??

series 1 have a igniter pack on the back or the coil cover .  

series 2 motors have the igniter in the coils themself's or in the comp..

you may have to get a igniter pack or module to fire the coils..

It is a series 2 the computer is supposed to ignite the packs thats why I have the LTX12 microtech computer. you can see it at, http://www.microtech-efi.com/downloads/65.pdf if you wish.

Having a closer look at that diagram, I reckon those are direct-fire coils, not coilpacks.

Instead of having a coil that fires into a distributor which then directs the spark to the appropriate plug, these are coils that fire directly to the spark plug, via a plug lead ie no distributor required, but multiple coils required.

I'd get back to Microtech and ask them how to solve the problem.

Having a closer look at that diagram, I reckon those are direct-fire coils, not coilpacks.  

Instead of having a coil that fires into a distributor which then directs the spark to the appropriate plug, these are coils that fire directly to the spark plug, via a plug lead ie no distributor required, but multiple coils required.

Thanks Blind_elk, this is becoming an ever increasing nightmare, the projected budget has blown out of all proportion and simply can't afford to the car on the road all the help I get is very much appreciated.

Have been told to take the packs out and send them to microtech for testing, do you know how i can test them at home before i go to that expense.

Thats right the paks are attached to the plugs and are wired direct to cpu.