SAU Community

Big Brake Group Buy - Skyline / Silvia / Stagea / Wrx / Evo / All Makes/models

R31Nismoid

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of those wondering about caliper clearance, I just did a little measuring and while these are not 100% perfectly precise (due to me being unable to measure the D2 while mounted on the car, just dummied up on the bench) - so they're give or take a a millimetre or so

Factory BNR32 GT-R caliper protrudes approx 40mm past the disk mounting face where the wheel bolts up

Factory BCNR33 GT-R/34/V-Spec BNR32 Brembo caliper protrudes approx 40mm past the disk mounting face where the wheel bolts up

The D2 8 Piston caliper with 356mm disk protrudes approx 33mm past the disk mounting face where the wheel bolts up

This means that purely from the point of view of clearance to the back of the spokes, with the D2 you actually gain around 7mm of clearance.

Now the only complication that we bring into the equation is that these calipers will sit out further from the hub than the stock ones, so if your spokes taper back in aggressively, close to your stock calipers than this will reduce the clearance available. Very few wheels do this. So long story short - if you have 18" rims and they clear your factory brakes, be it Brembo or sumitomo 4 pots, you can be reasonably sure they will go over these brakes :)

And the reason there is more clearance for the D2 calipers compared to stock, even though they are physically much larger over all is because the materials used in the construction of the D2 are superior and able to provided the stiffness required to prevent caliper flex, while using less material. Stock calipers are a cast construction and require a lot more bulk to provide the same level of stiffness.

Still can't believe more people have snapped this group buy up!! Need some more people so we can get the first sets out. Next years track days are approaching quick.

Once we have 10 sets - will get those sorted out.

So ONE MORE, and you guys will have presents sometime late Jan most likely - tell your friends! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate,

Looking at some black-anodized D2 front calipers. Going by what I've read above seems 330mm for 17" rims or 356mm for 18", this correct? Have an R32 GTS-t so not sure on what the details required would be - but definitely interested.

EDIT - remove. Just realised the date of last response was on the 19th December - apologies.

Hey Mate,

you're spot on. the 356mm ones need 18" min, the 330mm will go sweet under 17"s

The second round of this group buy will be cranking up very shortly I believe, so you are not too late if you want to jump on board :)

Cheers

Aaron

Hey mate,

Looking at some black-anodized D2 front calipers. Going by what I've read above seems 330mm for 17" rims or 356mm for 18", this correct? Have an R32 GTS-t so not sure on what the details required would be - but definitely interested.

EDIT - remove. Just realised the date of last response was on the 19th December - apologies.

Confirmed the order has been placed after talking with Aaron @ Import Monster

I've started a thread for the 2nd Round as I'm getting PM's from people asking if it's closed, so see here if you want in on ROUND 2:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/417253-big-brake-group-buy-2-skyline-silvia-stagea-wrx-evo-all-makesmodels/

• 2 weeks later...

Update is above mate, that was 10 days ago. Order placed, waiting for completion and shipping (order was placed days before i posted, just had no internet to update over NYE period).

Once i know more, I will post for everyone. It does take a few weeks for the orders to fill. :)

Yep order was submitted to D2 in the first week of Jan, after they returned from their New Year holidays. From experience, it usually takes around 2-3 weeks for them to complete an order of this size and then around the same again to get shipped, clear customs and quarantine and land in the shop. I'll keep Ash updated as we reach each step :)

Hey Guys,

just an update, manufacture of the kits will finish this week and the freight has been booked. The ETA for the ship to arrive is approx 13/02 and it would usually take 3-4 days to clear from port and customs and arrive to our shop.

Cheers

Aaron