SAU Community

Question On Durability Of Rota Wheels

B-rice

If you are been economically smart, then dont mod your car, because anything you do to it, is a waste and depreciate in value :)

I think I speak for most of us genuine wheels supporter are, quality is one thing but copying someone's design and selling it as their own, is downright wrong

Let's wait for some other cheap company in China to copy Rota and sell it and see how they feel

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

by economic I didnt mean stopping. when they say economical at petrol they dont mean that its doesnt use any at all. anyway im not reall up for a wheel war just posted this for literati purposes and making a better decision based on what you have found

To me it's more about what suits the car.

Back when I had my 06 wrx I would have had no hesitation in putting Rota's on if I was going to change the wheels.

Now that I own an r34 gtr v spec there is no way in hell I would let those near my car. TE37sl's would be my first choice.

If you have a car that you bought for <25k then yeah Rota's why not... But if you spent 40k+ on a car then surely you'd be able to fork out the extra cash for an amazing lightweight set of rims that the car deserves.

I dont get why people need to write so many words to justify buying rota, if you are cheap, you are cheap, enough said

this whole thread is about this person justifying to themself and aother about using rota wheels, that is it

people that buy good brand wheels don't need to make threads like this, they bought work/volk/whatever and are already a boss

Edited by mystery_kid

I was trying to find the Youtube vid that Works wheel post up regarding wheel testing durability but failed to find it, maybe someone can post it in here so people actually learn something, instead of "saying" their rota is durable/good enough for street/ok/good to use/look good/economical

The thing that confuses me more is, why buy rota when you can get cheap quality brand new rims (Enkei RPF1) for example for almost the same price as Rota?

Funny enough in class today it was shown on how some commodities are overpriced the cost of goods sold is like 25% of sell price.but people have this perseption that it costs more therefore it is good."your paying for something overly engineered" if you love your car to buy expensive rims you will love it enough not to ride the kerb or drive without scanning the road enough to see potholes that will not just damage your wheels but your suspension aswell etc. This perseption is not just for wheels its for other products especially on threads were people tend to get on a band wagon.

I had RE30s on my 34, bought them new, was super careful with them but when i still accidentally gutter rashed one wheel, i was shattered. Sold them immediately after, and got drifteks, now when i scrape some gutters, no f**ks given, I just paint over the rash.

That's the beauty of cheap wheels, and they're not even that heavy.

and people wonder why originality and innovation is slowing despite a growing market?

justify your junk as long as you want, end of the day it's companies like ROTA who choose to imitate and create inferior products at a fraction of the cost that make in not viable to innovate.

Innovation costs money, whether it's the process of creation or simply the losses associated with learning from failures, these costs must be recuperated some how, after doing all the leg work to create a popular design, to have a company come in and near on replicate the wheel and reap the benefits is bullshit, and who ever thinks this is ok needs a kick in the dick. It's one thing for a few manufacturers to create similar designs, it's another for a company to base their whole product line on replica's.

Not only this, but the reputation of many of these good brands have been tarnished by photos of cheap replica junk broken in ways which could only be caused by poor manufacturing, mistaken for the real deal.

I have run a lot of different wheels in some of the harshest conditions possible for wheels, and for people to tell me their cheap junk is anywhere near the strength of the good stuff is a joke, i have bent every type of wheel possible on pot holes and curbs that you couldn't even imagine exist, i have seen the failures of wheels on other's cars first hand time after time. Put simply, your chinese/taiwanese junk doesn't compare to well manufactured wheels, i don't care if your wheels have a big Japanese brand on them, chances are they were still outsourced from some shitty factory in china. I don't care if a "competition drift car" runs rota's, you think they are going to say no to free wheels?

Maybe it's just me, but despite what my car may look like to others, i still believe in taking pride in your car, and for me that's not using cheap replica junk which is destroying the industry, and is clearly an inferior product, just to save a few $$.

and people wonder why originality and innovation is slowing despite a growing market?

justify your junk as long as you want, end of the day it's companies like ROTA who choose to imitate and create inferior products at a fraction of the cost that make in not viable to innovate.

Innovation costs money, whether it's the process of creation or simply the losses associated with learning from failures, these costs must be recuperated some how, after doing all the leg work to create a popular design, to have a company come in and near on replicate the wheel and reap the benefits is bullshit, and who ever thinks this is ok needs a kick in the dick. It's one thing for a few manufacturers to create similar designs, it's another for a company to base their whole product line on replica's.

Not only this, but the reputation of many of these good brands have been tarnished by photos of cheap replica junk broken in ways which could only be caused by poor manufacturing, mistaken for the real deal.

I have run a lot of different wheels in some of the harshest conditions possible for wheels, and for people to tell me their cheap junk is anywhere near the strength of the good stuff is a joke, i have bent every type of wheel possible on pot holes and curbs that you couldn't even imagine exist, i have seen the failures of wheels on other's cars first hand time after time. Put simply, your chinese/taiwanese junk doesn't compare to well manufactured wheels, i don't care if your wheels have a big Japanese brand on them, chances are they were still outsourced from some shitty factory in china. I don't care if a "competition drift car" runs rota's, you think they are going to say no to free wheels?

Maybe it's just me, but despite what my car may look like to others, i still believe in taking pride in your car, and for me that's not using cheap replica junk which is destroying the industry, and is clearly an inferior product, just to save a few $$.

I dont think people look at it that way, its not about not caring about your car or taking buisiness away from the top brands but more having wheels that dont cost an arm and a leg. I personally have had expensive wheels and cheap 'knock off's' , doesn't mean I dont care about my safety or pride in my car. IMO unless your car get's driven rarely ie weekends only, you'd be crazy to have a set of 4k wheels on it, your only going to get annoyed at little scratches and marks on them.

As mentioned in the main article Rota are prob making the wheels for a whole bunch of vehicle brands, not just under the rota name. Even Enkei rpf1's are only cast.

I personally have never seen anyone have issues with rota's or cheaper wheels, the ones you see exploded from hitting a gutter prob had stretched tyres and no sidewall give, wheels dont just crumble in normal driving, potholes and all.

But you are right about the enkei's, they are the same price as rota's, even xd9's arn't to expensive, when I eventually get another skyline I wont be fussed if I have either rota's or works on it, both will be fine.

Edited by eightsixboy

If people want to buy ROTA's then it's their choice, i have an issue with these cheap wheel fanboys trying to justify their cheapness by spouting shit about them being as good quality, or it not mattering that they are copying other brands etc, that shit is utter garbage and you're bound to cop an earful if you try saying that shit in earshot of me or many others.

As mentioned in the main article Rota are prob making the wheels for a whole bunch of vehicle brands, not just under the rota name. Even Enkei rpf1's are only cast.

I personally have never seen anyone have issues with rota's or cheaper wheels, the ones you see exploded from hitting a gutter prob had stretched tyres and no sidewall give, wheels dont just crumble in normal driving, potholes and all.

But you are right about the enkei's, they are the same price as rota's, even xd9's arn't to expensive, when I eventually get another skyline I wont be fussed if I have either rota's or works on it, both will be fine.

I would question the creditability of the article esp if it's written by some cheap wheel fanboy, and i never said Enkei RPF1s are forged, at least it's not copying someone else

The message we're trying to carry through is

Rota = Company ripping off the design from companies who PAY to have these wheels design/tested

@gtsttrk - Is this you?

build-shitty-car-call-everyone-haters.jpg

To me it's more about what suits the car. Back when I had my 06 wrx I would have had no hesitation in putting Rota's on if I was going to change the wheels. Now that I own an r34 gtr v spec there is no way in hell I would let those near my car. TE37sl's would be my first choice. If you have a car that you bought for <25k then yeah Rota's why not... But if you spent 40k+ on a car then surely you'd be able to fork out the extra cash for an amazing lightweight set of rims that the car deserves.

+1 on this, no point buying 5K rims on a car that you buy for less than 15K on, its stupid, especially if you're planning to upgrate to a turbo(if you're on your P's) in a few years.

im with him^^^^^^ wheels dont crack too easily, i have rota's on my gtr and i love them they are light and anybody from NSW would know that our roads would be the shitest in the counrty,

and if they cracked the second time... old mate must not have done a proper job, but hey if its a rota, $200 gets you a whole new rim :)

better than a $900 TE37 :P

the point is a genuine te37 wont break in the first place. rotas are just made cheaply, and like stewy said, their blatant copies that are bad for the industry.

oh yeah this is what happened to a rota that was on my car (wheels came on the car i didnt but them)

556929_10151169620553652_1276309902_n.jpg

compare that to my mate who had a similar impact in his car that runs on gram lights and the rim was fine, hardly even a scratch. the impact may have bent his subframe and suspension but the wheels were fine lol

+1 on this, no point buying 5K rims on a car that you buy for less than 15K on, its stupid, especially if you're planning to upgrate to a turbo(if you're on your P's) in a few years.

Exactly my point about being economical with your funds and I would rather buy something "best bang for buck" and spends that extra four grand on perfomamce to cater for the 4kg added weight the vehicle I can still do some mortage payments or whatever. What this thread is just saying is that people should get too conclusive to judge specially when a car is not even tracked. Hate to be always talked shit against by the "RICH" people to us poor guys.

And lemme guess someone is going to say Ohh if your "poor" then don't get a skyline.

I would question the creditability of the article esp if it's written by some cheap wheel fanboy, and i never said Enkei RPF1s are forged, at least it's not copying someone else

The message we're trying to carry through is

Rota = Company ripping off the design from companies who PAY to have these wheels design/tested

@gtsttrk - Is this you?

build-shitty-car-call-everyone-haters.jpg

im sure the big names such as RAYS etc have patents on their designs do you ever ask yourself why they have not launched a lawsuit against Rota or any other wheels manufacturer.Im sure if i did an RD on anything i would not want some other person making money off my fruits. If you can find an article with them filing a lawsuit i will have to reconsider my posts otherwise don't jump to the conclusion before the intro.

good wheels dont have to have to be expensive. just have to be patient and look in the right places, like the auctions.

ok fair enough patience is a virtue but that rarely ever happens.

I normally don't weigh into these debates but the amount of Rota's that I see dead is phenomenal... The drifter losers over here use them a fair bit and they seem to disintegrate at the sight of an apex/slightest curb/pothole!

This is only just from this weekend of someone running over a pothole...

156932_10151205122818768_1127163212_n.jpg

I normally don't weigh into these debates but the amount of Rota's that I see dead is phenomenal... The drifter losers over here use them a fair bit and they seem to disintegrate at the sight of an apex/slightest curb/pothole!

This is only just from this weekend of someone running over a pothole...

156932_10151205122818768_1127163212_n.jpg

there are pictures around of good quality wheels broken, but it's how the wheel fails that tells you how shit the quality of it is. this picture shows a classic failure from a poorly built wheel, you will very rarely, if ever find a well build wheel failing like this, i've see a million cheap wheels fail like this however.