SAU Community

Bellhousing Fail In 2010 Adm Gtr R35

Wardski

Well, seems my garage queen GTR with only 3500kms on the clock (and never been launched) has the dreaded Bellhousing issue. My GTR was in for the 20,000kms 12 month mandatory service today, and the Nissan tech reported there was >1cm play in the tailshaft.

Means new 2013 bellhousing, shaft, flywheel and bearing replacement will be installed under warranty (thank god). Nissan are ordering the parts today, so should be in stock in a few weeks.

Nissan have said I can drive the car, but my question is how hard? While I don't launch the car, is it still ok for spirited drives like mountain climbs, etc?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you did the 20,000 km service at 3500km?

i thought i was bad doing the 20 at 15k

launching has nothing to do with it, it's a design fault

Hahaha, yeah, well following the servicing handbook, I have to do the 12 month mandatory service or the warranty = void. Just so happens to be the 20,000kms one at the same time. I tend to do about 4000kms every 12 months, so my GTR is babied. Mind you, the first set of Bridgestones are almost bald, so its spirited driving lol

Good to know launching it doesnt cause the issue. I assume the car is still ok to drive until the parts arrive to repair it? Mark @ Moorooka Nissan said the Bellhousing is no longer an engine out affair, but the subframe has to be dropped. Sounds like they know what they're doing.

yeh there's no issues if it's just making some noise

most R35s are driving around with rattles and owners don't realise it's an issue

it's not too hard to do, just requires removal of alot of parts

mine makes a bit of noise ive been told, but tbh imo its been making the same noise since i drove it off the showroom floor. i might have to do it at some stage but would prefer to do it myself at my own mechanic if/when

what seemed to really quieten my car was doing the cobb tcm update, gear shifts up and down are so much smoother and quiter
Edited by domino_z

Nissan have kept my GTR in over night. Tomorrow they have to start the serial no trail on current parts, and order replacements. I asked if I could have the defect parts, Nissan responded by saying all of them will be shipped back to Japan for inspection....

Yeh standard practice for defect parts to go back

I have an imperfection in plastic grain on a door trim on my evo, Mitsu aus are happy to replace full door card under warranty but won't let me do the install, so I ended up just buying it

Edited by domino_z

Be aware that even in a current generation MY12 bellhousing there is a degree of float. Is it making a shocking noise?

On the downshifting when warm - from say 4th to 1st as you come into a stop, there is a massive rattle as the transmission releases to coast. The actual rattle while stationary in P & N isnt that bad (IMO hasn't changed since new with 43kms on the clock and isnt as bad as some youtube vids I've seen), but Nissan said the play in the shaft exceeds 10mm, and therefore requires replacement.

Nissan also indicated late yesterday that the parts will be from the 2013 car.

I don't know how long it will take Nissan to get the parts in and do the work, but I hope it's before xmas!

Edited by Wardski

Well, it's good that the dealer id's the issue and offered to fix it without issues.

Mine was replaced recently and I have never launched either.

How long did it take Nissan to get the parts in mate?

It was funny talking to the tech when I was chasing a pick-up time yesterday. He kinda sounded embarrased that they found the issue and that the bellhousing had to be replaced.. Certainly have gained some trust with Moorooka Nissan in Bris. They seem to know what they're doing. I was also glad they decided to keep the GTR in over night in order to follow the "Nissan Diagnosis and reporting Flow chart" in order to minimise the order/replacement time.

Edited by Wardski

Same thing on my 2010!

Had it replaced early this year during my 30'000K service at Von Bibra on the Gold Coast.

They did a great job with NO delays.

I sure hope the replacement is stronger than the original????

When Nissan Obviously know World wide that this part is rubbish, they should cause u to experience NO delay!

Hey Wardy when your pick your car up. Ask them how much all the work would have cost if the car was out of warranty.

$12k. The main cost is the 2 days x 2 technicians in labour.

I picked up the GTR this morning at 9 after a lengthy diagnosis and Moorooka Nissan receiving confirmation from Japan that the Warranty replacement is required and approved. Has been booked in for a new bellhousing in 2 weeks... Lucky for me the GTR isn't a daily, I was almost committing suicide having to drive the base model Dualis courtesy car around waiting for Nissan to give me the all clear to collect..!

What saddened me a little though, was another totally stock super silver 09 GTR sitting silently in the corner with rear wheels on casters and a fully locked up rear diff which had been delivered to Moorooka yesterday afternoon... The tech mentioned the issue with it has Japan stumped, as well as it being out of warranty...... :(

Edited by Wardski

Hi Guys, does anyone know if this bellhousing issue applies to the 2011 model? I am looking to buy a used GTR at the moment and was warned about pre-2011 models and their transmission failures.

All models of the GTR are prone to transmission issues. The bellhousing issue is present in the 2007-2012 models AFAIK.