SAU Community

Varex Exhaust Connection Question

hop1308

Hey guys, I've got a R34 GTT and it has a varex exhaust system on it, the kind that is supposed to close a butterfly within the cannon and make the exhaust quiet at the press of a button.

Anyways, i bought it with the exhaust already on the car, and the power for the box controlling the butterfly wasn't connected, so i couldn't test it out.

I connected everything up after buying it and as always, turns out it wasn't connected for a reason, the butterfly in the exhaust doesn't open or close when i use the remote.

Pretty much there is power from the battery going to a small black box which is placed in the boot. from that box another set of wires connect to the cannon end of the exhaust.

I've checked the battery on the remotes and everything and it still doesnt work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things i should do or check?

Thanks heaps guys

Might be a bit of a pain but can you put battery power directly on the motor for the butterfly. That will tell you for sure if its dead

X-force are pretty good to deal with and should help you out with replacement parts

Varex mufflers... pretty good exhausts. Not something that belongs in the same sentence. They've been reported to be restrictive even when the butterfly has been fully open, not to mention illegal anyway.

thanks callan, should i just take the two wires that go to the motor and connect them directly to the power? how will the butterfly know when to open and when it should close though?

moodles, they aren't illegal, thats what a lot of people believe though. im sure about this as i actually looked into it, and ive gotten this car through a check after getting a defect for noise pollution, and they let me through it with the varex exhaust when it was closed.

thanks callan, should i just take the two wires that go to the motor and connect them directly to the power? how will the butterfly know when to open and when it should close though?

moodles, they aren't illegal, thats what a lot of people believe though. im sure about this as i actually looked into it, and ive gotten this car through a check after getting a defect for noise pollution, and they let me through it with the varex exhaust when it was closed.

Email Varex and ask them for a replacement control box perhaps? It could be the remote too I guess.

Hooking direct power to the motor will fu*k it.

I've seen it done where voltage was applied to the motor to test it. Reverse the polarity makes it go the other way. This may have been done acoss the circuit board so not sure if it was full 12v

They are restrictive closed but not to bad when they are open. The one I saw wouldn't make full boost closed but open it was fine

It wont damage it. I was running mine through a switch in the dash for 6 month with frequent use and never had a single problem. Just hook the power wire power wire to one side and touch the negative on the other. If it moves then its not the motor if it doesnt try swapping the wires around. Still doesnt work it could be the remote or control unit. Does the light come on the remote when a button is pressed?

so do i use the control box at all? or do i cut the wires and just hook up the cannon and motor directly to power without the control box?

and yeah the remote's light comes on and everything

Theres a way to do it by bridging curcuits on the circuit board, but i wouldnt recommend doing this if you dont have the wiring diagram or an understanding of electronics.

There should be a plug that goes to the motor from what I remember, if its a 2 pin plug, you cant go wrong, positive one side, negative the other, reverse polarity will make it spin the other way.

To test the motor you dont need the control box. Just get 2 pieces of wire connect one to the positive of your battery and one to the negative then connect the other ends of the wire to the terminals of the plug coming from the motor. And reverse the wires to go the other way.

I had one fitted to my falcon not too long ago, I just had mine dynod on the weekend.

Valve open: 198.9rwkw

Closed : 138.0rwkw

When open there was no restriction at all compared to my previous straight through muffler. This was with a full 3" system and a very big cam.

They feel very gutless when closed. I would only use it when you really need to be quiet.

ive looked into it a bit more, and i really cant figure out what the problem is, and im a bit hesitant to apply 12v directly to the motor without any resistors or fuses in between, just not willing to risk blowing the motor (if its not already blown)

i called up a shop near by and they said they'll have a look at it and diagnose the problem for free. guess thats worth a go.