SAU Community

Project ; Rev210 Fit At 40

rev210

Giving the compound movements a go now. With issues I still have, starting out light.

Very short rests 30sec between everything (inc movements).Got my heart rate right up , feel very sore in the legs today.

Squats

10 x 100kg

5 x 100kg

5 x 100kg

5 x 100kg

5 x 100kg

Bench

12 x 90kg

5 x 90kg

5 x 90kg

5 x 90kg

5 x 90kg

Pendlay Rows

5 x 90kg

5 x 90kg

5 x 90kg

5 x 90kg

5 x 90kg

Try standing on one leg with your eyes open, then try it with your eyes shut. You will feel the stabilising muscles trying to compensate . its the connection with the muscles that I am trying to fast track a bit.

I am just getting back into squats so I can concentrate on the muscle engagement . try it out with a light weight or no weight.see what you think.

I have been doing this with a few movementsjust hadn't mentioned it before.

Edited by rev210

Cool, I assumed it was something like that. My issue is that I can't feel when I'm out of alignment, unbalanced etc. I have to use my sight. As I can't see when bench pressing, I have to get birds to straighten my position on the bench; what I feel as straight is apparently very crooked

What it does is cause you to force stabilisation muscles to work harder.

You 'wobble' as one balance mechanisim is switched off(sight) and inner ear and muscles take up the slack. Feeling into the control of the muscles takes time, till then stabilisers get a workout. You aren't going for heavy with this training.its training proprioceptive.

Ages ago when starting out I use something to obscure the vision working up to eyes closed.mostly its because you get distracted more by noises and things initially.

I used to train at a gym where there was a blind guy. Very strong dude, he was blind from birth. Trained alone,no spotter. Perfect form

Edited by rev210
  • Like 1

I've found similar things when squatting in racks with mirrors vs squatting without.

My gym has their racks in front of their full length wall mirror and it was only when I trained at a gym with no mirrors that I realised how much I relied on sight for my squatting form. It felt weird at first and I thought my form would be worse, but I ended up lifting more weight with better feeling form, instantly. Felt better in tune with my body; could actually feel the whole motion. Upon returning to my gym I achieved a similar thing by squatting and forcing my eyes out of focus so that I couldn't see my reflection easily. I've since trained my form up to a point where I can look at the mirror and not throw my form off.

Related: there is a belief I read about not long ago that most men at 6ft and above (and not overweight) already possess the muscular strength for a vertical leap to dunk a basketball, but the muscles simply do not work together in perfect synergy and timing until you've trained them with a lot of jumping exercises. Basically, you can squat all you like and this will of course help your vertical leap through explosive strength, but if you don't actually jump and train the muscles to work together it severely limits your potential in the vertical. I don't know about the dunking a ball part, but certainly your vertical leap increases dramatically with jump exercises before you've even gained extra strength in the legs.

One armarm dumbell rows (fatgripz)

50kg x 8,8,8,5,5

Dumbell Rear delt raises (incline bench , fatgripz)

22kg x 15

32.5kg x 8,8,8

Grip hold from rack (overhand grip , fat grips)

150kg

200kg

Triceps cable pushdown (latpulldown machine)

72kg 8,8,8,8,5

Squats . Trying to get low bar form right so dropped the weight to nanna level

10 x 70kg

5 x 80kg

5 x 80kg

5 x 80kg

5 x 80kg

Bench (paused) Taking it easy

97.5kg 5,5,5,5,4

80kg x 15 (fast)

Pendlay Rows

5 x 100kg

5 x 100kg

5 x 100kg

5 x 100kg

5 x 110kg

• 3 months later...

haven't checked in for a bit. Bodyweight sitting on about 100kg now. Probably no real change in % fat. Just eating a little more to accomodate the gym 3-4 times a week.

Been doing very basic movements mostly focused on upper back and shoulder health. Not really training intensely . Been taking it easy.

My shoulders & back have grown a bit and caused wardrobe stress. my tailored business shirts are a tad tight now. Not training legs yet... but, scary times ahead for the scales as I am about to ha ha...

Edited by rev210

workout today. ( typical of what I do every week).

100 Cal warmup on bike.

I do all of the movements below with the blue fatgripz inc. pullups (makes the bar 2.5 inches thick - harder to hold onto).

* Cable row machine - narrow grip. (all the weight stack). Done fast /explosively

- 20 /12 /12

* Pull up knee raise combo . Basically a pullup (strict) with a knee to elbow movement at the top. Lower knees , then lower body in slow controlled manner . then repeat.

- 15 /10 / 10

* One Arm rows . 50kg dumbell

- 12 /12/ 12

* Barbell Pendlay rows 100kg

- 10 /10 /8

* Barbell Grip holds (till failure) . standard overhand grip

- 180kg

- 140kg

- 100kg

100 Cal on Bike to finish.

• Like 1

My shoulders & back have grown a bit and caused wardrobe stress. my tailored business shirts are a tad tight now. Not training legs yet... but, scary times ahead for the scales as I am about to ha ha...

Know that feeling, I've gone up a whole size and I also can't wear anything tight or dresses with zips at the back as they don't do up; so the majority of my wardrobe is now unwearable. I've bought bigger jeans and a few dresses to get me by Wah

Know that feeling, I've gone up a whole size and I also can't wear anything tight or dresses with zips at the back as they don't do up; so the majority of my wardrobe is now unwearable. I've bought bigger jeans and a few dresses to get me by Wah

The positive side is you probably look even more fantastic than before , so any new wardrobe additions will be icing on the cake for you. Just a bummer that the process costs money.

Living in a colder state , you probably need more winter gear too. Melbourne at least has no shortage of good places to buy clothes so at least you are in the right location