SAU Community

Skyline(s)Inexpensive driving pleasure

Well they been doing that since 1979 or whenever the VB (how appropriate) commodore was hatched. Each year they change a little, but not in leaps. They're never going to go the radical approach in case they stuff it up. Just look at what happened to Ford for a while with the AU, etc -- nearly sunk them.  

I reckon they new Ford's look a stack more tougher than the current commodore. Probably better car too.

Yeh, im not saying i dont like holden or ford, ive got nothing against them. They make great family and work cars. But in terms of a performance cult car such as the Xr6t, they really dont have anything that stands out.

I read somewhere that they are releasing the GTO in a 4wd version. So what, it still weighs 1700kg, and thats the rwd version, how much is the 4wd going to weigh?

Power to weight will always be the starting factor in a performance vehicle. Atleast the japanese know this and make their cars with this in mind.

For all the money, resources and time holden have i seriously would have thought theyd have some more exciting cars by now.

Whats their latest release? ohh the adventura, wow, its a bloody vx commodore or whatever just raised with some extra plastic body bits. Pffff

My father was a die hard supporter of the ford falcon 351 GT. Owned and drove a few examples that where far from stock. Still loves them to this day.

Took my skyline for a ride, and i mean a RIDE 200+ kmhr with me sitting in the passenger seat. He loved it, now he wants a gtr.

Ive driven a VR SS, few mods, went hard, 185rwkw ( yes at the wheels i dont mean 185i HSV motor) could probably beat my skyline in a straight line, but get to a corner....cya later commodore!!!

I remember the first time i drove an R33 skyline. it was misfiring on low boost etc etc, but i was still lovin it. the next weekend we gave it a huge service re gapped the plugs, adjusted the boost controller etc etc and it was marvellous, smoked the tyres when it came on power, exhaust note was beautiful, LOVED the induction noise from the Gracer pod filter. absolutley in heaven. i took my old man for a spin in it and he couldn't beleive how smooth it was and effortless to drive. (he is mid 50s and has really only driven falcons all his life). i have now pretty much got him hooked on something along the lines like a stagea.

and a work mate of his recently bought a S2 R33 thats tuffas and he reckons its sweet too.

how could you complain!!!

oh and the comment from someone saying that they don't 'dig' silvias, i totally agree, driven N/A and turbo silvia and they didn't do much for me, which is why i opted for the inline 6 in mine! now that makes it a totally different car again (read: not the same as as a silvia or an R33).

The R32-33-34 series is a work of art, and i wish they would keep it running.

yet to experience an R34 yet, but my expectations are high

I have just become a proud owner of this baby. Cost me $19K on-road and no regrets whatsoever. The cons of a Skyline I can sum up with: bootspace! (can't fit my bodyboards in) otherwise the pros are endless. Heaps of power, good handling, looks awesome especially with the 400R front bar. And shit-easy to modify. Some of the parts are interchangeable with the VL (e.g. oil filters) My last car was a NA VL Commodore and before that a ST Celica and there's just no comparison. Note about the Celica however - AWESOME gearbox, never driven anything like it. I doubt I'll ever go back from a Skyline now, go the R34 when I'm done with this one!

I remember the first time i drove an R33 skyline. it was misfiring on low boost etc etc, but i was still lovin it. the next weekend we gave it a huge service re gapped the plugs, adjusted the boost controller etc etc and it was marvellous, smoked the tyres when it came on power, exhaust note was beautiful, LOVED the induction noise from the Gracer pod filter. absolutley in heaven. i took my old man for a spin in it and he couldn't beleive how smooth it was and effortless to drive. (he is mid 50s and has really only driven falcons all his life). i have now pretty much got him hooked on something along the lines like a stagea.

and a work mate of his recently bought a S2 R33 thats tuffas and he reckons its sweet too.

how could you complain!!!

oh and the comment from someone saying that they don't 'dig' silvias, i totally agree, driven N/A and turbo silvia and they didn't do much for me, which is why i opted for the inline 6 in mine! now that makes it a totally different car again (read: not the same as as a silvia or an R33).

The R32-33-34 series is a work of art, and i wish they would keep it running.

yet to experience an R34 yet, but my expectations are high

R34......Like any skyline they only get better. Lighter and more powerful than the 33 in standard form but I wouldn't complain if I had a 32/33. Just happened to be able to afford a 34.

cheers

Muz