SAU Community

Skyline(s)Inexpensive driving pleasure

Having had the opportunity to test drive the General's new Monaro offerings, both the GTO and the quieter versions, as well as having owned some worked Commodores and other performance vehicles I quietly ponder the value that imported Skylines offer. Without going into detail suffice to say that during recent driving of the 5.7 litre beasts Iwas looking forward to hopping back into the seat of my R33, just simply, in my opinion, a better car to drive in all respects. For around $20,000 for a good example of this great car it has to be the best value motoring around. I am not interested in track performance and would not be tempted to put mine into a circuit situation, I have however put this R33GTS-T through its paces on the tar in an out of the way environment so I have some knowledge of the capabilities of the car. I just commend this series of R32>R34 Skylines to anyone who understands good motoring! Cheers from JB.

Skylines are an awsome car, no doubt. Sure there's other cars on the road that are appealing but the skyline allways has that superrior feel to it imho, it's hard to explain. There will allways be more expensive cars that go faster, but they are few and far between, but bang for buck the skyline is just such a good option. Before I got mine I was looking to get a worked rx3 13b rotary or a worked VL. After driving in both cars then going to a skyline I was sold, as simple as that.

Skylines are an awsome car, no doubt. Sure there's other cars on the road that are appealing but the skyline allways has that superrior feel to it imho, it's hard to explain. There will allways be more expensive cars that go faster, but they are few and far between, but bang for buck the skyline is just such a good option. Before I got mine I was looking to get a worked rx3 13b rotary or a worked VL. After driving in both cars then going to a skyline I was sold, as simple as that.

Thanks Dynamix for following this thread! I have driven a few Skylines and have the same model as you, without the front skirt and elevated spoiler but with a bypass valve, 3" Trust exh with custom dump pipe (critical) K&N cotton filters and a couple of other little tricks and this baby rocks! Even though it is a 4 speed auto the changes are so precise that little is lost (and my wife drives it too!) 68000k's and in beautiful condition it drives like a new car. This one is actually quicker than two of the 5 speed manuals I have driven, guess it comes down to original build and treatment recieved during the life of the car. Sadly I am parting with this one as it cannot be used as a shopping car (lack of respect form other drivers, especially in car parks) and only sees the light of day very occasionally. Cheers from JB

Hello People. (First Post)

I currently drive a Supercharged VT with a couple of mods so far (Twin 2.5 inch cat back, 12 pounds of boost, K&N Pod) and am now wanting to get a R32 GTR :headspin: so I am hoping that what you are all saying is true :rolleyes:.

If anyone has any feedback on the R32 GTR's I would love to hear more.

Thanks.

I personally think there's not a cheaper way to get some high powered RWD action.

Or 4wd action if owning a "Godzilla" is your bent.

I personally never much dug the CA18/SR20 or Silvias. Once you go 'inline six' you never go back.

For a 200+kW, manual, RWD car with some semblence of driving dynamics, I think there is no other choice.

I don't dig on rotors nor do I particularly want something 15 years old.

T.

I dont think I've been in a more stylish car for the price, the handling, the timeless body lines, the mod cons... and when the boost kicks in, it's just something I'm greatful to be driving. For something that's my day driver, I couldn't be happier. It's funny when I think about the friendships I've made just through the car and the people I've met just for owning a skyline. I didn't think getting this car would have had such a large impact on me and my life... as I said, there's just something about a skyline... :thumbsup:

Johnny B - good to hear a decent account from somebody obviously with a few years driving and different cars I assume under their belt. Not often that we hear much from those in that position, and good to see they stack up well. I'm surprised a little why there are less 30+ drivers out there who have given it a try, but I guess many don't want the stigma attached that goes with driving an import car, even though much is unfounded.

To be honest I've never driven a Commodore ever in my life, and hopefully never do :thumbsup: but it doesn't sound like I'm really missing much.

For me it came down to this....

I had drven nothing but bombs in my time, and driven them to within an inch of their lives. When it came to getting a new car i knew that i could get another bomb for peanuts, or if i wanted something new i could buy a barina or sommin else naff for 20 odd grand. Now i wanted a performance car, i've lived with no accelleration (something which i think is very very bad and at times more dangerous than too much accelleration) and decided it wasnt for me.

When i took my options into account really there was no other option BUT a skyline...

silvia 2ltr 4cylinder.... i could get a rex for the same price and have 4wd

soarer .... boat

supra... very nice but bland without a turbo... which is pricy

or

SKYLINE 6 read it 6!!!! cylinders.... 2.5 ltr (in my op 2 more cylinders and .5 of a ltr more is worth more than 4wd) plus a turbo... plus 4wheel steer... plus plus plus plus

it won all hands down.

Really whe u look at the alternatives... there are no alternatives, no where will you get the same ammount of features and performance for the same price.

So in my eyes the skylines a supercar, but the important difference its an AFFORDABLE supercar.

also who wants to buy a second hand bomb which the past owner just wants to get rid of. atleast with a line most owners have taken pride and tlc in their lines

Yup, there's no shortage of old timers in Skylines. Because you're only as old as the woman you feel, & my girl makes me feel younger without the tosspot pretension of a roadster/convertible (not that old yet !) - plus it's different, but not that different that you're outcast, and just...well, better !

/end of "back in my day, Sonny" rant/

A lot of us grew up with really shitty cars.

Like the SLR 5000 Torana, old holden GTS monaro or the Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase III ???

I don't think they would have been too bad :thumbsup:

Johnny B - good to hear a decent account from somebody obviously with a few years driving and different cars I assume under their belt. Not often that we hear much from those in that position, and good to see they stack up well. I'm surprised a little why there are less 30+ drivers out there who have given it a try, but I guess many don't want the stigma attached that goes with driving an import car, even though much is unfounded.  

To be honest I've never driven a Commodore ever in my life, and hopefully never do :D but it doesn't sound like I'm really missing much.

Hey Predator, there are a surprising number of my generation behind the wheel(s)

of Skylines, WRX's and other similar machines. Most of the guys I know had quick (for the era) Xy's, Toranas etc and were driving the relatively unrestricted roads, doing stuff that would either coffinise you or have you away for life nowadays! Not that I condone that sort of activity around town, just too many targets now. The mate from whom i bought the GTS-T imported it, he is 50 years and my junoir by two! Only reason he parted with it was to teach his kids to drive in something a little more sedate. When the kids are off their P's he will be straight back in to a Skyline...Cheers and beers from an old timer JB

Indeed, ive noticed alot of older people in GTRs lately, im not talking 20s-30s i mean 40s-50s

Personally i think Holden have lost the plot when it comes to designing cars, they keep making the same looking cars, with either the same, or just bigger CC engines. Its silly if you ask me. I had a go with a new 300kw GTO on the freeway last weekend, and we were dead even. My car has 166.6rwkw and is auto

Im not saying i dont like holden, i just think they need a new approach to what they call performance vehicles. The 300kw GTO weighs 1700kg! and costs $70,000

I commend ford for releasing the xr6 Turbo, its probably the best thing they have made in a long time.

I'm always looking at the barrage of falcons and commodores. I was going to say falcodore but don't want to annoy shaolin with my prejudices. Not gonna dis anybodys car.

But... I just can't help thinking that these falcon and commo drivers think they own the road cos theyre in a big powerful car. In some ways i think these peeps should test drive a line and feel the dif. Although that would mean more lines on the road devaluing our cars. Oh well cars not an investment anyway. Well not a 25t.

Boost is joy. Its almost like too cars in one. A Dr. Jeckyl and Mr Hyde effect. We get to choose which with our foot, as opposed to a V8 with more linear power. Am i making any sense or just babbling. Sigh.

I just sold my line and I luved it.

Im now contemplating a soarer TT.

These are very cheap now, 17K for a 94 model with just under 50,000km.

My line was fairly stock, except for full 3in exhaust and pod filter and the soarer is completely stock, but feels just as fast. Also far more comfortable.

I was going to say falcodore but don't want to annoy shaolin with my prejudices.

HAHAHA thats very nice of you.

I have enjoyed the commodore and am still finding it hard to sell as I do like it BUT it is not as practical as a R32 GTR :).

a 10year old car with 50,000k on the clock?

Sounds suspect IMHO

I just sold my line and I luved it.  

Im now contemplating a soarer TT.  

These are very cheap now, 17K for a 94 model with just under 50,000km.  

My line was fairly stock, except for full 3in exhaust and pod filter and the soarer is completely stock, but feels just as fast. Also far more comfortable.

Personally i think Holden have lost the plot when it comes to designing cars, they keep making the same looking cars, with either the same, or just bigger CC engines. Its silly if you ask me. I had a go with a new 300kw GTO on the freeway last weekend, and we were dead even. My car has 166.6rwkw and is auto

Well they been doing that since 1979 or whenever the VB (how appropriate) commodore was hatched. Each year they change a little, but not in leaps. They're never going to go the radical approach in case they stuff it up. Just look at what happened to Ford for a while with the AU, etc -- nearly sunk them.

I reckon they new Ford's look a stack more tougher than the current commodore. Probably better car too.

Hey Predator, there are a surprising number of my generation behind the wheel(s)

of Skylines, WRX's and other similar machines. Most of the guys I know had quick (for the era) Xy's, Toranas etc and were driving the relatively unrestricted roads, doing stuff that would either coffinise you or have you away for life nowadays! Not that I condone that sort of activity around town, just too many targets now. The mate from whom i bought the GTS-T imported it, he is 50 years and my junoir by two! Only reason he parted with it was to teach his kids to drive in something a little more sedate. When the kids are off their P's he will be straight back in to a Skyline...Cheers and beers from an old timer   JB

Hey JB,

I'm another of the 50+ brigade and couldn't agree with you more. I have had all sorts of vehicles and did all those stupid things you touched on. Used to work for a leading (at the time) car rental outfit and had access to all sorts of m/v's and I have to say, my R34 has given me the greatest pleasure of all cars I have owned or driven.

More cheers and beers to ya.

Muz