SAU Community

Urgent Help Needed!

Hi all,

Got my engine rebuilt forged internals etc standard head just with 256 cams

Cranked the engine to build oil pressure, cranked it for like 5secs got 80psi pressure, started the car up and straight away lifters started tapping off its head,

Before anyone says take it to engine builder, I will on Monday when he open but been weekend Ill like to try work out what's wrong with it,

Nitto oil pump, still running VCt, blocked middle, 1.5m rear restritors,

Only thing I'm thinking is engine builder didnt do cleanances right? But I highly doubt it,

Bad lifters? How can I tell?

I was so nervous to start it as I have had so many issues in regards to work that was done on it, I didn't wanna start it... But just from

How loud they are and all the time doing it, I didn't wanna risk driving it and causing more damage, but yes they have been out of the motor for about 7months dry,

If its a fresh build you shouldn't be idling it or taking it on a light/brief drive.

You should be seating the rings or you'll stuff the build entirely. Tow it to the builder/dyno Monday and don't keep starting it now. All you should do on a fresh build is let it run for a couple mins just so you find any potential water/oil/air leaks etc.

As above.

Get the car to your tuner so they can run the motor in, refresh oil and filter then take it for a belt. Any issues should show within the first couple of hundred kms if any.

Was the previous engine blow up a spun bearing by any chance??

It's so common this happens when a small bearing particle blocks the head oil feed from the previous blow up and you end up with stuff all oil to the head.

It's bloody hard to have the galleries cleaned out perfectly unless the original restrictors are removed.

A lot of engines I've seen built by various Motorsport teams like the supercars have external feeds to the cylinder head with inline filters to prevent this happening.

Hole bottom end was destroyed in the old motor, started again with block and crank, only think that didnt change was the head, but engine builder knew what happen with old motor and I told him to wash the head and he said he would do that,

Only thing that was used from the spun bearing motor was the head, lifters and cams? Could these of been f**ked from the old motor? I asked the engine builder to check everything to make sure it was all good to go back in