SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

Thought I was cured when I woke up today, back felt great. Bit stiff/tender now but was fine on the morning walk. I think those oblique stretches are on the money so that's something positive.

Will do another 2x sets tonight and see how I feel Thursday, I also have a Myo appointment that day.

I was thinking about this last night and come to the realisation that when I had the busted leg in plaster I was exercising with my leg up on a chair and doing what I could sitting/laying down, I'd say that has caused some of this imbalance.

Just did a 2.5sets session, as in 2 full sets, half of the 3rd. Had a good 10min stretch first including the oblique stretch which loosens my back up nicely.

Didn't do 2.5x on the OH press where I did 1 set at 44kg, which the shoulder didn't like, then another at 41.5 which the shoulder was slightly happier with.

With curls I stuck to 41.5 for 2 sets, but failed out hard on the last 2 reps due to different technique, see below.

I found a way to make my lady dips stronger, put a box under my heels to elevate them and carried a few kg's in my pockets, did 40/40/20, could do more but stuck to 2.5x sets so to speak.

After all that I managed a 90sec plank and had more in the tank, maybe another 30 sec at a stretch but I was starting to feel it across the shoulder blades.

I took the advice about setup on board and tried to lock things in place, tighten things up before exercises, I like how that feels despite it feeling like it burns up the oxygen faster if you get me, the motions feel more stable and less strain on the wrong areas if that makes sense. This ate up power very quickly on the curl I noticed. I feel like I'm going backwards there, maybe in numbers but hopefully that's due to improved form.

I went back to the 49kg (or is it 49.5) row, but went further parallel which made it harder but doable.

Chucked in a couple of light lunges at the end too as my legs are not getting much of a workout at the moment.

Also tried lifting the bar off the ground sumo style when preparing for squats, SLDL, rows, which my back and knees like better further to that, did a push press to get the bar over onto my shoulders for squat instead of a strict press which helped too.

So some new/good things in there. Let' see how I pull up tomorrow.

if the OHP is hurting your shoulders leave it alone for a bit and concentrate on your rows, pulls... buy some light dumbells so you can do some laterals for your shoulders

stricter form will make the weight feel heavier and lead you to struggle to get the same reps you used to... there's no problem with that, your still making progress

I've got dumbells, I can do laterals instead and I may just do that as OHP hates me for whatever reason.

Not feeling too bad today, as in maybe a touch more sore than yesterday in the specific back spot but that's to be expected.

Did some light jogging on the walk this morning, ankle seemed to deal OK with just general discomfort.

Off to the Myo today to get a rub then she's gone for a month so I'll fend for myself.

you can try pressing with the dumbbells instead of the barbell... the dumbbells allow your hands to move and rotate throughout the movement which means you might by able to press in a way that doesn't bother your shoulder

Got my dates mixed up, Myo is next Tuesday.

A mate who works at defence told me they are having an open to public auction soon and theres' a Magnum Fitness squat rack there, I've asked him to verify if it's a squat rack or cage and get back to me but all of the Magnum stuff on google looks good.

Edited by ActionDan

Yeah good idea.

I noticed too with the rows and bending over more, it targeted the shoulders more directly where as standing up felt more like lats/traps.

If I make the next track day will determine when I get a rack as in sooner or a tad later.

try rowing into your stomach, rather than into your sternum/chest... and keep your elbows in tight... that should work your lats and mid back... I like heavy single arm dumbbell rows too

rear dumbbell flyes for shoulders... lie face down on the bench, only need light weights

Jogged probably 2 of the 3ks in my walk last night, ankle was a bit tender for the first 1k of this mornings 2k walk but loosened up OK.

I did some stretching last night before bed and my back feels a touch better today, discomfort is more localized to that area and requires specific movements to aggravate it now instead of just being generally sore at all times from all movements. Seems that oblique stretch is helping.

Oh I've started having rolled oats for breakfast too instead of Weet Bix. Which seems to keep me feeling fuller for longer.

I've been having a glance through that food thread and will make a few adjustments here and there but I already eat pretty well, as in a few pieces of fruit a day, low fat this and that, mindful of sugar contents etc, mostly drink water etc.

Still a few changes here and there should be a good thing.

For the weight your doing, your form looks fine from what I saw on the bench and squat vids.

Overall good going and keep it up. If you train long enough you'll see results.. if you train correctly, you'll see them quicker.

It must be a pain taking all those little weights off and on everytime you swap exercises!!!

Cheers, my SLDL was a concern for me also in terms of form.

I'd like to make some more videos now that I'm following TTT's advice on setp and locking things in/tightening up etc, seems to help a bit.

That said, I ust got out of the spa as my back has been killing all weekend.

On Friday I did full weigh 3 sets of everything.

Everything was fine except curls where I had to cheat (lean) the last 2 reps, but part of that is improved form I think making it more taxing.

With the tighter firmer setup my shoulders and back felt it plus then I spent all weekend doing physical things. Mowed the lawns at both houses, put the baby seat in the car, worked on the silvia, moved the gym room and the guest room around (so had to move all weights etc).

We'll see how I pull up tomorrow after my spa.

As for the weights, I only move a small handful between each bar as I have them split in such a way as to only need to move 5 small plates (which I can grab in one go with both hands).

I'm waiting for some info from a mate who works at defence as they are having an auction soon, he said there was a Magnum Fitness squat rack there, just need to find out of it is just a rack or a proper cage as it should be cheap.

Everything was fine except curls where I had to cheat (lean) the last 2 reps, but part of that is improved form I think making it more taxing.

Remember you aren't doing movements to make a number, it's to stimulate muscle growth only.. Cheating is asking for injury. Increase the weight when the load is too easy and drop it when it's too hard. Keep the form.

That's a very good point actually.

What defines too hard? If I can do 8-8-6 is that too easy or too hard? I'd be inclined to say it's pretty much right? Room to see the development over the last 2 reps and not too easy?

Feeling a bit better today and found this bad boy so I might grab it as it seems like OK value.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/350586113300?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That's a very good point actually.

What defines too hard? If I can do 8-8-6 is that too easy or too hard? I'd be inclined to say it's pretty much right? Room to see the development over the last 2 reps and not too easy?

8-8-6 is what you did. Is it enough to stimulate muscle growth is the only question to ask yourself. Do you need to work more? That's really upto testing the results , by seeing if you gain between the workouts.

Bad form is never a good plan (even partial/cheat curls have a correct form).You want 2 more reps? If you think you need more work then alter the other variables but, also consider avoiding overtraining.

Did 3 sets again tonight but made a few small changes. Been trying hard to lock everything in and tighten up prior to movements which as I said I think helps quite a bit.

Squat as normal, bench as normal, SLDL as normal, then rather than OH Press I did rows sooner, then some dumbbell lunges as I wanna work on my leg/ankle strength, then curls (8-8-7 this time) then my lady dips with 2.5kg in my pockets and heels up on the box for 40-40-40, need more weight on those. Worth me doing Lateral Raises or something as OH Press kills me.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow and I have the Myo in the afternoon, probs for the last time for at least a month.

Want rack... want to squat/dip more and do pull instead of curls.