SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

It's all good, the ankle will always be a problem, no different to my elbow, but the elbow can now be beaten on without too much issue, the ankle will get there too.

The back I expect to get a bit better yes as it was fine before I started squatting again so I'm doing things wrong.

I had physio today and she wants me to use a small step under my heel to give better ROM through my ankle while squatting to stop my feet splaying out as I go down, we did some practice movements, I also need to sit up straighter, no back rests, and continue working on my TA activation, she also gave me a different ankle stretch and worked on the ankle itself as she said the lump I have prohibiting the ankle ROM is fibrous tissue around the sheath in that area.

So we're making progress at least.

At least this is costing me nothing.

As per the main thread.

Anyway, finished rack last night (left band pegs and push up handles off as not needed) and I don't think it was intended to be a one man job lol

Tried dip handles and chin up bar, head just clears roof on chin up bar, dip handles seem sturdy enough but having a bar on the pegs gets in the way.

I'm now thinking about the logistics of using it (I was hoping it would save me some time) but now I'm thinking it might cost me time to move from squat to bench etc etc.

I'll have a play tonight.

post-23873-481744_thumb.jpg

Edited by ActionDan

As per the main thread.

Had my first session with the rack last night, it's different, added some weight to squats, bench, RDL and row, nothing much just an extra kg or two here and there as that's how the plate config came out.

This is how it looked. Completed everything but started to feel it and had to work for the last reps on the chins. Everything is sets of 8 except squats which is sets of 10.

Squat 54

Bench either 92 or 93kg, we'll say 92.

RDL 54

Row 54

Chins BW

Dips BW

Got my pin locations sorted and worked out my positioning for movements, the actual bench etc. The bench takes some getting used to and requires more horizontal stability from me/my legs while benching. Made more obvious by the longer bar too.

A few things I noticed. As I've been trying to move away from curling like a bro, I've been really keen to get the chin up bar and did chin ups (or whatever they are called with an underhand shoulder width grip - pull ups?) and didn't find that I felt like my biceps got much out of it certainly not as much pump after exercising, maybe at the top of the motion with some explicit contraction but otherwise not much and it's mostly in the upper lats I feel it today.

Also, used the dip bars instead of doing weighted bench (spa) dips and didn't feel like my triceps got much out of that either, to be fair my bench dips were sets of 30 because I could only fit 11-12kg in my pockets lol and the actual dips were just 3 sets of 8 but I just expected more burn on the triceps and if anything felt it more across the shoulder girdle, I think I need a belt for chin ups and dips to get some weight in there asap.

Am I wasting time doing chin ups and dips if my main goal there is to try and get some decent bi's and tri's during a compound motion? I want to stick to purely compound stuff where possible for efficiency and max calorific burn (with the exception of some dumbell lunges that I do for ankle stability improvement).

Also, put some 1/2" wooden blocks under my heels for squats and that makes a big difference. I can get to parallel and a bit below without my feet splaying outwards and straining up the inside of my bad ankle. Feels good man.

Edited by ActionDan

Upper lats still tender from pull ups, so clearly they need some work.

Foam rolled last night, had a stretch and heat bagged, back felt better but still tender today.

Had a go at rolling the lats, can't say it helped heaps but it hurt during lol

You're the same as me mate...I used to do stiff leggeds and found regular deads awkward as fk. Stuck with it thought and in no time at all I was climbing up the weight on regulars and MAN did it work my body harder than the stiff legged...even with much less weight. Eventually I passed the weight I was doing on stiff leggeds and I've never looked back. <3 deadlifts

Yeah I just did deads with the weight I was using to RDL, definitely harder so that's good.

I watched a Ripptoe video today which I think will help me, I had the order wrong as in when to break at the knees.

I'll know tomorrow night if I'm on the right track.

Start with a lighter weight until you're happy with your technique. Don't assume that because you're doing another form of a similar exercise, that you can just transfer the weight across. You're using a completely different synergy between muscle groups and joints.

Man, I am so confused.

Had a good stretch last night watching the F1, foam roller, heat pack, the works.

Back feels like crap today and I didn't do a lot on the weekend, maybe held some awkward poses while polishing Kate's car but otherwise nothing strenuous.

FML

Yeah I know, just shits me. I'm sitting up straight at work and not using the back rest like asked, not crossing my legs ever (when awake) as asked, doing the stupid TA activation exercises as asked, stretching, foam rolling, etc etc. Taken 2x 1 week breaks, no change.

Might still go and see a Chrio just to rule that out, but every physio and Myo that's looked says structurally there's nothing obvious.

At least it's not acutely painful when lifting :)

Despite back feeling average last night I did my session anyway and it feels a bit better today, and felt fine during as usual once it's fully warmed.

Still working out my spacings etc and I would've liked my bench to be wider as it requires more core stability/leg stability to remain stable during bench.

I added 5-6kg to the row because it's been very easy and still managed it though it was obviously that bit harder, more so on the sore part of my lower back.

I had another go at deadlifting and after 3 sets did another 6 reps but video'd it to look at the lowering phase (thoughts?)

http://youtu.be/CHhaB2WOTcA

I mixed up the dips at bit too, I need a dipping belt it seems, I did a set of 8 and felt nothing so waited 10 secs and did another set of 8 and then put 4.5kg in my pockets and did a set of 10 and started to feel it by the 10th rep so I'll start adding weight to my dips and I'd say my chins soon enough also.

Upper lats have recovered from initial shock of chins and I can get out my 3 sets of 8 without too much fuss now.

I'll look to start adding squat weight too as I'm feeling more comfortable there now I have my heels up on a block.

Edited by ActionDan

Physio yesterday, she did some more work on my ankle and measured a few things, there was an improvement in my range already so she seems to have a good handle on whats going on.

She swapped out my bum raises TA activation exercise for a kneeling then arm raising one, it is much harder and somehow manages to flog my lower back, she said this is a good sign that my "inner" core strength is not great despite my posterior chain being strong enough.

I'm very surprised that not a single person commented on the DL video here or in the main thread given how quick everyone normally is to point out flaws lol

Gym tonight.

Had a decent session last night.

Squatted 60kg

Bench felt weird and lopsided for the first 2 sets, checked bench location, grips etc, realised I'd left 1x 3kg plate off one side... so added that back on and added another 4.5kg for a good 96kg+ and got that set out so was happy.

Had another go at DL, still only 54kg, but it felt better. Also tried mixed grip and that felt good too.

Rowed at 60kg - with this, are you guys rowing from the floor with your back parallel? I see a lot of talk about what is the right way. I am doing them at 45 deg to the waist.

Chucked 4.5kg into my pockets for chins and managed to get those out.

Kept that in my pockets while doing lunges, so carrying around 28kg on those now.

Kept the weights in my pockets for dips and did 3x 10 instead with shorter breaks and had no issues.

Might get a dipping belt.

if it were me, and I was forced to use 10kg plates, I'd get measurements of a proper 20kg plate, work out the difference, and cut some blocks to put under them.

Having said that, deficit deadlifts (which you are doing) are a great assistance exercise for deadlifts.

But not a replacement.

/my opinion.