SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

Just had a a visit with the physio and I might be off to surgery again.

I've had some noticeably different swelling at the very top of the scar in my leg and some discomfort around that area, she thinks that I may be getting migration in the metal work, that is, at least one of the screws is starting to come out.

I asked straight up if that would be due to squats/deadlifts and load going through it, she said not at all and that it's more to do with how your body reacts to the intrusion, how quickly bones heal etc etc. I've also been told that I've had good bone strength based on no breaks through some of the injuries I've had so we'll just assume that my bones no longer need the assistance and are too awesome to rely on metal work so they're now spitting the metal out.

She normally this process takes quite a while so to get it at this point implies that the rate my bones heal at is quite good.

I'll hear this arvo about when my x-ray is then go from there. If surgery is required she said there's a good chance everything will come out but that I would not need to take any time off gym and just to be mindful of pain in the first few days tops so that's good news.

Still awaiting results of the X-ray.

In the meantime, minor progress.

Decided to go straight for the higher 5th set of squats and stalled on the 5th rep on the 5th set, pushed through it but had an oh shit moment. That's a double bonus as the last set used to be lower weight and low bar for practice so my legs are not used to doing the 4th set weight twice let alone adding 5kg. These were all high bar. Kind of sad in a way that 95kg had me concentrating to get it =\ Such is my shitful leg strength. MY goal remains to get my squat and DL above my bench so I am leaving bench where it is.

Squat high bar

75.5 80.5 85.5 90.5 95.5

Bench, DL, and Row unchanged

Chins and Dips had a go with the new belt, not a bad thing, was easier to use different plates so the increments meant I added a little bit of weight to both exercises and there's easily more in the tank.

Chins

2.5 5 7.5 10 12.5

Dips

10 12.5 15 17.5 20

Edited by ActionDan

Minor progress.

Consolidated at the increased squat weight, all low bar this time which felt easier but I now have a light groin strain as per the main thread.

Increase on deads and rows, consolidated on increased chins and dips.

Gym

Squat low bar

75.5 80.5 85.5 90.5 95.5

Bench

95.5 99.5 104 106.5 109

DL

80.5 85.5 90.5 95.5 100

Row

73 77 79.5 82 84.5

Chins

2.5 5 7.5 10 12.5

Dips

10 12.5 15 17.5 20

I have an appointment Monday to see the fracture clinic about my X-ray results.

Edited by ActionDan

Well it was a mixed bag at the Fracture Clinic.

The good news is the metal work has not moved and the Dr is suggesting we wait another few months to give it a full year before making any calls.

The bad news is that he's also suggesting that removal might be the better long term solution because then there's no question of if it's causing me any irritation. That would mean up to 6wks off any impact sports/exercises etc, so no squatting and no DL. Everything else I could do and walking would be fine. I'm wondering if ham string and leg curls could be OK but I have no provision for doing those at home.

I'll be seeing the physio on Friday to talk about it more now that we know that at least the metal work is staying put.

Part of me wants it out never to have to worry about it again, part of me doesn't want 6 wks off when I'm just starting to get some momentum in things. Then I think well whats 6wks in the grand scheme of things if it means not having to think about the metal any more.

If I just go ahead and leave it in and then find out it's an issue say 5yrs down the track, it's a more serious surgery to remove it as the bone grows over/around it over that length of time. 1-3yrs is the ideal window for removal.

What would you do?

Edited by ActionDan

Minor update for chins and dips, what is considered OK numbers for these as I don't feel like I'm struggling too much with these, I could probably add another 5kg on on both right now and be OK. My issue is the strength of the dip bars, which I'm discussing with the rack seller, I may look at a better rack.

Everything else was unchanged, dd my squats low bar this session which I think I prefer.

Feel like I could up the bench again but as mentioned trying to leave it as is for now until other things catch up. I could add some more to the DL but at this stage the ankle is a little tender so I'm waiting for it to get used to the current load and simmer down.

I want to really lay on some kgs on the squat and DL so that when I have my surgery and stop I'll be further ahead but realistically I don't think I'll be making any great leaps. 95kg still feels like a semi struggle on the last rep of the 5th set so I'm either doing it very wrong like I was with the DL or I'm just that weak.

Squat low bar
75.5 80.5 85.5 90.5 95.5

Bench
95.5 99.5 104 106.5 109

DL
80.5 85.5 90.5 95.5 100

Row
73 77 79.5 82 84.5

Chins
5 7.5 10 12.5 15

Dips
2.5 15 17.5 20 22.5

I was contemplating picking a Friday every now and then and doing the first 2 sets of say squat/bench/dl then for the last few sets trying to do whatever I can above my previous PB just to surprise the body and make it realise it's OK to go higher. Kind of like the 5x3x1 thing that people use when doing 5x5s.

Edited by ActionDan

Just add the weights to your normal routine and see how you go!

You'll find that if you did the exercises that you do last, first or second, you will do more weight straight away!!

Gym is at home and yes, same routine, M/W/F takes about an hour.

EDIT: Same session as in exercises, but over time slowly adding weight. I take it pretty slowly as I've had injuries in the past from rushing it and have a bit of a bum leg at the moment.

Have also paused bench for now until legs catch up a bit, more of a mental thing more than anything plus not sure how strong this new bench is =\ Supposedly rated at 200kg including user and I'm pretty much at that now. Should have read the fine print.

Edited by ActionDan

Increases all round tonight, will be interesting to see how I pull up and if I consolidate on Friday.

Finally into triple squat figures. The more I do the more I prefer low bar.

Squat

80.5 85.5 90.5 95.5 100

Bench

101.5 104 106.5 109 111.5

DL barefoot

88 93 97.5 101.5 104

Row grip giving out on this

73 78 83 88 93

Chins

7.5 10 12.5 15 17.5

Dips

15 17.5 20 22.5 25

Edited by ActionDan

You know what nigga, I'm not liking that attitude.

If you're not enthused an upbeat about the work you're doing you're going to have a much harder time of it.

It's important to find an activity(ies) that work for you both mentally and physically.

Especially for the long term if you;re going to make it a lifestyle change.

My progress is small too but I'm still happy to see it. It's all forward motion baby.

Edited by ActionDan

Had one of those sessions tonight where everything feels a bit heavier. Probably because I was hungry.

Good to know I could thug it out and get through it though.

That's the sort of thing I mean when I say I like consolidate and know that on my bad days I can still do the same numbers before I increase.

I may look for a small increase on some things towards the end of the week.

Having a doubt period too where I start to wonder why I'm doing this :/

I hate working out when I'm hungry, makes me lose focus so easily :/

We all have doubt periods; I just had one recently as you're aware, but as you said to me, keep on trucking :)