SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

Tried the heatbag while stretching for warm up last night, it made a noticeable difference in comfort, I used it again before bed and don't feel too bad today.

I'm going to stretch/heat bag daily and see what affect that has before seeing an Osteo.

Mixed it up a bit last night as I'm not as worried about my back being an actual injury from gym. This is the order, 2min breaks between sets.

Squat: 53kg - Success (ankle protesting a bit and has been a bit swollen of late as I've been up a lot doing things at home with the new arrival).

Bench: 91.5kg - Failed 8th rep of 3rd set, got close, couple of inches off the hooks.

SLDL: 53kg - Success

Rows: 53kg - Success

Curls: 43KG Failed 8th rep of 3rd set.

Bench(Spa) dips: Managed to get 8.5kg of weights into my pockets lol - Success 3x 30reps and slowing them down so they are harder.

Dumbell Lunges: 16kg total in hand - Success

Lateral Raises: 4.5kg each hand (I do 4 out to the front and 4 out to the side in each set and 3 sets) Success but starting to feel it towards the very end.

Did a set of 10 slow narrow hand position pushups (on my fists), no problems.

Did a 30sec side plank each side just for the sake of it, Success but tiring by that point. I honestly do not think my back issue is a core strength problem.

No big DOMS issues today but tomorrow is more so when I'd feel it.

All in all happy with that given I increased the weight on everything in one session, even if only by a small amount.

I miscalculated, the new weight is actually a touch over 52kg, not 53.

Anyway, managed to succeed at everything tonight, but took a 2.5min break before the last set of bench and curls to ensure I got them out.

also my ankle is giving me a bit of a twinge up the inside at this weight so I will take it slowly despite being able to get the reps out without too much leg drama.

Also managed to stuff 10kg in my pockets for bench dips.

Just choosing a bench and then I'll order my rack :)

Edited by ActionDan

Still undecided on a bench =\

Can't seem to find a middle of the range one.

As for exercise, completed everything except the curls but went straight 2min breaks instead of having the last set be a 2:30 break for the bench and curls. Got there with bench, not with curls.

Feel like a lot of exercises could take more weight, especially squats and rows but taking it slowly for the ankle.

Getting a rack will help but I need a new bench first...

From the main thread.

Rack, bench, new bar, and foam roller ordered and paid for.

Also had a promising session with the physio today, that is, I was handed over to the resident SIJ expert.

She did say something I thought was interesting too, she'd rather see me only squat half way but with my feet pointing ahead "properly" than have an angled foot position and go lower.

Thoughts?

She said she is very confident she can "smash" my ankle to get better ROM and wants me to start working on what she calls "inner core" strength and had me doing this weird "tuck your tummy in" exercise but without tensing abs or obliques, she thinks my inner core is shot from being laid up for so long and said I need to learn to reactivate it which is what's giving me grief.

She said fitter/active people can muscle their way through weakness like that by recruiting other muscles which is what she thinks I'm doing.

She also jammed her fingers into spots in my hips to test for some reaction which apparently was shit and was very uncomfortable.

Completed everything last night without issue, looking forward to getting the rack so I can get some more weight into some things. Managed to cram 11.5kg into my pockets for bench dips lol

Had a go with the roller last night after looking at some clips on how to target the SIJ, it does target them but I can't say I feel any different today, I'm going to have another go shortly as my back is a bit sore/stiff with some referred discomfort down the back of my left leg.

I think I have the muscle worked out that the physio wanted me to learn to activate again and have been trying to do so while exercising, definitely a different core stabilising feeling.

Built my bench this morning, pretty happy with it. I'll take some glory photos when the rack is here with all my new gear.

The missus informs me my rack arrived this morning, she didn't make the door in time (shower) so they left the 2m tall however heavy box on the door step lol

She said she took it through to the gym room piece by piece to get it off the door step.

Also played with the roller a bit more, not sure I think it helps all that much though it is uncomfortable.

Heat seems to be the best thing for it. Stretching and rolling only give limited relief.

Physio again tomorrow, we'll see if I've learned to activate the muscle she wanted me too.

The missus informs me my rack arrived this morning, she didn't make the door in time (shower) so they left the 2m tall however heavy box on the door step lol

She said she took it through to the gym room piece by piece to get it off the door step.

Also played with the roller a bit more, not sure I think it helps all that much though it is uncomfortable.

Heat seems to be the best thing for it. Stretching and rolling only give limited relief.

Physio again tomorrow, we'll see if I've learned to activate the muscle she wanted me too.

It's all about getting blood flow into the muscles. heat helps, as does massage.

Hah, actually, since the arrival of the baby the missus does have a new and splendid rack... but no pics for you.

Yeah I stretch, use heat, foam roller etc and it all "helps" but I am looking forward to it being solved.

Edited by ActionDan

Short on time tonight so reduced breaks between sets and still competed everything then started rack build.

Got the pulley mount to do yet. Will need to put something solid underneath as a pull up makes it want to lean forward when on the double layered carpet.

Not sure what I think about the dip handles only being welded one side.

post-23873-0-59868800-1367844488_thumb.jpg

post-23873-0-92572800-1367844553_thumb.jpg

post-23873-0-42652800-1367844614_thumb.jpg