SAU Community

R32 Workshop Manual(S)

66gt40lm

So, I've been chasing a HICAS issue off and on for a few weeks, and I am having no luck. I have an R32 GTS-4, but I'm using a GTR manual for wiring and I don't think they are similar at all. I was wondering if anyone has either a GTS-4 or GTS-T manual for download or that you can send me. I have checked every link on all of the main Skyline websites, and had no luck. Either the links are to a GTR manual (which I already have) or they are dead links from 10 years ago.

I also tried to do the self diagnostic, and it doesn't work. I'm leaning towards a steering angle sensor for that issue, and my speedometer for HICAS/power steering getting heavy while driving since it's completely incorrect (it's not in MPH or KPH). But like I said, the wiring isn't the same and I can't accurately shoot the steering angle sensor for voltages to check if it's bad.

Unfortunately, I have that manual already. I need the GTS-4 or GTS-T manual because the wiring in that one is different than my car.

Well, right now it's a possible toss-up as to the solution to my problem. I'm getting very strange readings for the steering angle sensor, so I'm sort of leaning towards that considering I'm also unable to enter diagnostic mode (the remedy for which I've heard is VERY likely to be steering angle sensor related). It could also be the speedometer as it's reading incorrectly, but I don't know. I just wanted to see how different the wiring is between the two, because I've heard (and also seen first hand) that the GTS-4 and GTS-T use the same HICAS system, while the GTR had "Super HICAS".

I'm just trying to ensure I'm shooting the correct wires before I start ordering more useless parts and wasting my money. I've already ordered a speed sensor only to find out it didn't help at all.

Jiffo, I'm not looking at 4WD, I'm looking at HICAS which are two completely different systems. 4WD is the engine power going to all four tires, HICAS is four wheel steering. I know I'm fairly new to the Skyline, but I'm not a complete idiot considering I read wiring diagrams and shoot wires every day for my job (using PDF files, ironically).

Right now, I'm thinking it's 75% chance of steering angle sensor and 25% speed inputs being jacked up. I want to make sure it's 100% of one and 0% the other.

Well, right now it's a possible toss-up as to the solution to my problem. I'm getting very strange readings for the steering angle sensor, so I'm sort of leaning towards that considering I'm also unable to enter diagnostic mode (the remedy for which I've heard is VERY likely to be steering angle sensor related). It could also be the speedometer as it's reading incorrectly, but I don't know. I just wanted to see how different the wiring is between the two, because I've heard (and also seen first hand) that the GTS-4 and GTS-T use the same HICAS system, while the GTR had "Super HICAS".

I'm just trying to ensure I'm shooting the correct wires before I start ordering more useless parts and wasting my money. I've already ordered a speed sensor only to find out it didn't help at all.

Jiffo, I'm not looking at 4WD, I'm looking at HICAS which are two completely different systems. 4WD is the engine power going to all four tires, HICAS is four wheel steering. I know I'm fairly new to the Skyline, but I'm not a complete idiot considering I read wiring diagrams and shoot wires every day for my job (using PDF files, ironically).

Right now, I'm thinking it's 75% chance of steering angle sensor and 25% speed inputs being jacked up. I want to make sure it's 100% of one and 0% the other.

Appreciate that, but if you look at the wiring diagram mentioned, it shows the HICAS computer and wiring, all on the same diagram.

when i got my gtst the hicas light was on constantly

fixed by taking the steering wheel off and lining up the dot on the inside of the wheel with the one on the column (werent aligned before) when i reconnected the battery no more constant hicas light!

Jiffo, besides the fact that those diagrams were scanned horribly, it still doesn't show me pins on the steering angle sensor. Again, they are different in the other diagrams I've used from the GTR manual than on my car. Besides the fact that in the diagrams it shows eight pins (mine has 6, which I cannot be for sure, but maybe those were airbag wires or something), I've confirmed two of the wires are switched from the GTR manual to my car. From what I've gathered, the GTS-T and GTS-4 used a slightly different HICAS system than the GTR. This is why I want to acquire one of the other manuals to be sure. Considering the strange readings I've been getting, I think the wiring is different. It's just a way of being redundant and making sure everything is right before I waste more money chasing problems that might not actually exist.

Hicas light comes on maybe five minutes after I start driving, which is also when the power steering gets heavy. It's almost the exact same place every day. It's one reason I originally thought the speedometer. The strange thing is I don't remember having this problem when I got it, and the speed has always been wrong. So now I'm leaning towards steering angle sensor, considering I can't enter diagnostic mode, and I'm getting such strange readings. Again, I'm just trying to be redundant and verify before wasting time and money on nonexistent problems.