SAU Community

Interior Lighting Help

Hi guys!

This is my first post on SAU, so if I'm doing something wrong, that's why.

I purchased my first ever Skyline yesterday, an R34, 2000 model with 72xxx km's on the clock for 8500.

I'm very happy with the car so far, although, as I went for my first drive at night last night, I discovered the lighting in the cab is not very good.

In most cars I have driven, the gear area is lit, so you can clearly see your gear selection. Last night, I could definitely not see my gears, apart from the

dashboard icons.

Was wondering if this is how it is intended to be? Or have i blown a fuse/globe somewhere? Or is there even a lighting selector knob in the cabin I am oblivious to?

Also, the man i bought the car from repainted the left side mirror, so i assume he removed it to paint it.

The motorised folding action doesn't work, although the right one will. It makes a loud whirring sound, but doesn't move.

Another issue is the factory cd player. It is hooked up to a 6 stacker Nissan branded box in the boot, but i can't seem to get either of them to play. The factory unit in the dash just spits cds back out and turns off, and the stacker states an error. Not that big of an issue, as i will have to replace it anyway, but i just want some good driving tunes. Haha

Thanks for your help!

And again. First post. First Skyline. Haha. No hate.

Well, firstly welcome to SAU,
Now regarding the cd player, i'm afraid i can't shed much light there, as my R34 had a replaced headunit when i bought it.
But as far as the lighting goes, there isn't supposed to be any "ambient" lighting to show off the gear stick/surround, dare i say it would be assumed that if you can drive a manual, you can do so without looking down at the stick?
If however, you have an auto, i believe the gear selector should light up at the selected gear, although i could be mistaken.

More info on whether auto/manual would have helped - though it sounds like it's an auto, especially for that price an r34 for 8500 is either an auto or a nugget manual....Oh and also because you mentioned dashboard icons, which means it's an auto (right?) because only autos have icons for gears in the dash.

For the mirror you could try removing it and seeing if something is loose inside..otherwise bring it to someone who knows electronics or just buy another mirror they're about 50$ give or take, off a wreck!

Yeah it's an Auto, thanks guys.

Yeah im a bit of a perfectionist, so im interested in restoring the functionality of the folding mirror.

Ive got several LED conversion kits coming in the mail from ebay, which I hope provides way more lighting inside the cabin.

The kits will change my speedo cluster area from the factory globes, which some are actually blown, the AC unit will be changed too, and my parker lights are currently a dull yellow colour,

which doesn't match my Xenon headlights - very very white.

Anyone else done this to their skyline? Ive seen the threads, but just wondering how long it should take an inexperienced person like myself to swap them over.

Is there a likelihood of breaking anything major in the process of removing the cluster?

• Like 1

the first time i took out my cluster to replace the lights i ended up spending 3 hrs on it from start to finish. i took it real slow and just made sure i knew my way around the deconstructing/constructing. now it takes me 5mins to take it apart. just be gentle, if you think you're pulling on something too hard and it's bending..then you are.

Oh cool. Thanks for the info!

I was wondering, when I go to take my AC unit out, you take your vents out which are above the unit.

Now, I saw it in a step by step process with images, but I'm not very confident when it comes to prying those vents out. They look like they are really solid in the dash.

Im scared ill end up scratching and ruining that plastic surround with my flat head screwdriver - Although ill be doing everything in my power to prevent it!

People have also been saying to use a cloth, when removing trim. Do they mean place the cloth between the surface and your screwdriver, as to not scratch it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

All done!

Turned out awesome! Didn't even break a single clip or scratch my interior.

Getting really motivated now to try other small mods to improve my new skyline.

Thanks!

Thanks man.

Is there any other mods you would consider worthwhile to do to a stock r34, cosmetically, to make it look better?

Im almost positive that i will repaint the infamous interior paint with a brushed metal look.

And possibly paint the brake calipers red.

Any mods you consider douchey?

Thanks man.

Is there any other mods you would consider worthwhile to do to a stock r34, cosmetically, to make it look better?

Im almost positive that i will repaint the infamous interior paint with a brushed metal look.

And possibly paint the brake calipers red.

Any mods you consider douchey?

Yeah...red calipers? Depends on the colour of your car though, and personal taste of course. I'll be doing mine some time soon, fresh coat of satin black and that's it! Simple, slick, and looks great.

As for cosmetics: change the lights to LEDs, different set of rims (if you have stockies now), bit of carbon fibre vinyl wrapping, decals etc...you can also add random parts like side skirts, body kits, what about valve caps? lots of stuff to do pick and choose =)

And yeah the centre console definitely will be getting a new coat of paint from me too. I'm going with an all black interior.