SAU Community

Prospective Gtr Owner Questions

Hi Everyone

Since the release of the R35 GT-R I have always wanted to own one of these beasts.

Being of the playstation1/gran tourismo generation I have always held a fascination with the GTR and am lucky enough to now be in a position to afford one.

In doing my research I come across a lot of GTR haters and lots of commentary on "glass gearboxes" and Nissan voiding warranties for very little reason.

These seem to be related typically to earlier model R35's but not always.

So I have a few questions I would love to get your views on.

1. Are these gearbox issues sorted with newer model 2012 and 2013 R35's ?

2. Do Nissan after 3 years offer extended warranties ?

3. The stock sound seems a little tame. Do australian dealers have issues with adding somethng like willall mid pipes to give it a better sound ?

4. Whats options are available after warranty expires to harden gearboxes in Australia and what do these cost ?

Do dealers negotiate at all on price from the quoted list pirce of $188k

Thanks to everyone who responds. feel free to answer any or all of these questions.

1.2011 models and up are suppose to be better although the 2011 model is know to have a tortional dampener issue

2.From what I hear they don't

3.No this does not void warranty on the car unless a fault occurs due to the performance mod also depends on your GTR dealer

4.Willall racing do a lot of things to strengthen them and sort out old issues

I got mine second hand and there was pretty much no negotiating. Mine was owned by a bloke that is on his 4th one and gets a new one every 6months he buys his from WA they are cheaper there and gets it delivered to him. I hope this helps and please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these but this is what I have heard.

Hope this helps mate

• Like 1

1. Gearbox issues exist across the range, although with the 2012 and 2013 there have been very slight modifications along the way (strengthened shift forks, circlip redesign, solenoid manufacturer changes, etc. The 2008/2009's are the worst, I have a 2010 and no issues, although the 2011's and up have revised LC software that does smoothen things out. Nissan wont flash the latest LC software on the older models, so we have to use a COBB AP to get that (if we need). I've found with my 2010 that Nissan can tweak a few things to iron out some of the jerkyness (probably just touch points), although I have to admit that the recent trans and diff oil change (first one since purchase), this has made a MASSIVE difference to driveability.

2. No extended warranties offered in Australia thru Nissan (Allianz). There are aftermarket warranty extensions, but these are dealer specific.

3. Midpipe changes are not known to cause Warranty issues. I got this in writing from my dealer in Brisbane prior to having the willall titanium midpipe installed (by my dealer) during the replacement bellhousing warranty repair.

4. Depending on where you live, what year GTR you buy, Willall is the beez kneez. I wish they were based in Brisbane (they're in SA :( ), but not to be. If I go down the route to make any major mods to my GTR, I'll be shipping mine interstate to get the best people working on it.

5. Price Negotiation, well this really depends on the dealer. I actually bought my new 2010 (last of the new 2010's left in Australia at the time) from Magic Nissan, WA in November 2011. It had been sitting in their showroom for 12 months and only 43kms on the clock. Price started out at $150k, but then negotiated down to $138k including CEVAs shipping to me in Brisbane. They also gave me a great deal on my 09 Subaru STi Spec R which I owned 100% outright and in showroom condition. AFAIK, they were keen to sell as the 2012's were on the way and needed to make room for them. They also had a new 2011 (blue) in the showroom at the time, which sold about 6 months later for $159k to an interstate buyer.

Edited by Wardski
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Very informative. Appreciate the info.

How did you find the Brisbane dealers responded to you after buying car from WA ?

So it's does seem like list price is negotiable depending on stock and time of year.

Moorooka Nissan had no issues. The boys down there have looked after me very well, although not the cheapest dealer in Aus.

Some dealers will negotiate. To be honest, sales have been slow this year with a lot of uncertainty in mining/oil/gas jobs. So, you can always try.

Thanks guys. Very informative. Appreciate the info.

How did you find the Brisbane dealers responded to you after buying car from WA ?

So it's does seem like list price is negotiable depending on stock and time of year.

Buy a Porsche.

In Gran Turismo, there was a plethora of R-35 GTR's to chose from, but... unfortunately, there was not an array of Porsches to really delve upon. You were restricted to a few offerings from RUF. Maybe that is clouding your decision?

In the real world, Porsches don't break, whereas... GTR's do. Porsches are build to be thrashed - they are built for motorsport. Spend your $180-190K on a low km GT3 or 911 Turbo. Further, think about all the slarts you'll get! There's a lot I would rather spend my 200 large on, and it is surely not something that comes equipped with a Nissan badge as standard. :yes:

Buy a Porsche.

Spend your $180-190K on a low km GT3...

Wait.. what?? Any decent secondhander GT3's are well into the 200's... After driving both, I think I'd take my chances with the GTR. At least I can have my track days, and throw 2 kids in the back comfortably.. Family SuperCar FTMFW! :yes:

Edited by Wardski

Wait.. what?? Any decent secondhander GT3's are well into the 200's... After driving both, I think I'd take my chances with the GTR. At least I can have my track days, and throw 2 kids in the back comfortably.. Family SuperCar FTMFW! :yes:

Get your hand off it mate.

There's a nice example of a 25K km 997 GT3 right here: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2008/SSE-AD-162999/?Cr=6

With the change, you could even buy wifey a proper family car. :)

With the Porsche, you won't even have to ship it down to Adelaide everytime you have a part failure (common in GTR's) or need an oil change. Willall has got you boys all sewn up. Martin is quite a good salesman. Pity he couldn't even pass his uni degree lol

Edited by TOMMI MAKINEN

Ohhh yeaahhhh

305kw......that's so cute!

ROFL!!

• Like 1

Thanks for input gents. Always interesting to see different perspectives.

Dealers are currently advertising 2013 GTR's for 198k drive away. Ridiculous. They must be expecting a decent drop when negotiating if that's the starting rrp price.

I'm not too keen on 2nd hand but at those prices I may need to think a bit longer.

There are some great bargains to be had with 2nd hand ones - with 50K depreciation already gone you really can't go wrong if you get a nice one with full service history.

If you plan on modifying it.........and trust me you won't want it stock for too long........then 2nd hand is the perfect choice - nice 2011 or 2012 is a very nice car.

• 2 weeks later...