SAU Community

Water Temp Real Low Alloy Rad

Hi Just trying to determine if my sensor is gone or something else is playing up.

ive noticed my water temp on the guage is very very low and seems to even go down after a 30min drive on fwy it went to a quater.

I warmed the car up for 15mins this morning with the heater on full and looked at powerfc and its sitting at 55degrees and no movement on the guage.

thermostat?sensor?bleed the system?

thoughts?

As above. In fact, I had exactly the OP problem immediately after fitting a big alloy rad. The thermostat I had was working OK(ish) against the smaller OEM rad, but the instant the big rad went it it ran cold. New thermostat fixed it pronto.

Even further to this, last weekend whilst tuning my boost controller (so the engine should have been toasty warm) I coasted down a hill and the temperature gauge fell quite low. This finally convinced me that my thermostat (in my new Neo) was not right. Had been taking a long time to warm up in the cold weather we've had lately, and when looking at the actual coolant temp in Nistune it was lower than it should have been. And the last tank of juice went about 20% faster than the recent average.

Thermostat swapped out today. The one that was in there had damage most of the way around the edge. Not possible to tell if it warms up faster until tomorrow when it is fully cold again, but on the shakedown drive I noticed that the oil temp was back up to numbers that I haven;t seen since much hotter weather, so it would seem that it was the root cause of cold running.

What are you calling lower than it should have been? On a cold night, my (rb25) will sit on 75 ish or when its like zero on highway, its just over 70-73. Oil goes down to under 50 sometimes.

Neo is about 10 degrees hotter than the old RB25. In Nistune I was only seeing 81, which is not much hotter than normal 25. Should have been higher 80s.

Oil temperature used to run up about 90 or so. Lately it has been about the same as the coolant or less.