SAU Community

How Hard Will This Be To Respray?

hey all,

Had a scrape last year on my rear left fender (right next to the driver's door) I made a ridiculous decision and tried to fix it by sanding and touch up paint (yeh i know. stupid me!) and now it sticks out like a sore thumb. I had a look at it today again and couldn't actually see it as a separate panel to respray. It looks like it's all one part with the roof of the car and pillar coming down the front.

Is this the case, or am i blind? lol

how hard would it be to respray this section, or would i need the whole roof and stuff resprayed as well?

post-88438-0-02054800-1373086372_thumb.jpg

No you are not blind. The quarter panel is one panel that extends to the front quarter. In terms of difficulty, it was rather simple.

You do not need to paint the roof.

This is how you repair that spot.

Sand the damaged area down, make sure everything is flat. Apply your primer to the area and sand it back down ready for Colour.

Now get a scuffing pad and rub it along the WHOLE panel including the a pillar. This way you won't have any blend lines.

Apply Colour to the area and fan it out layer by later. 3-4 is enough. Get your clear and clear the whole panel and you are set. Let it cure and buff any imperfections.

Q

thanks heaps for the instructions! will do it when i get the chance. is the scuff pad just to take off the clear?

i did a spray job on a side window cover but only did half of it because that was the affected area. But when i finished with the clear and took the masking tape off, there was a line left where the newly painted area was a bit higher than the other half. Is the scuff pad used to prevent this happening?

thanks again!

Na the scuff pad (grey scotchbrite) is used to "key" the old paint (take the shine off/make it dull) without scratching it too harshly like sandpaper would so the new paint will stick to it.

Don't mean to be negative man but it looks like your car is metallic grey/black? And it also looks like those top few scratches are actually dented? I'm all for DIY but if you haven't had much experience doing this sort of work and want a decent job done then find a professional to do it.

While he's on the right track there's a fair bit more involved than what qskes has described which for any decent job that will last you cant bypass.

If you are set on doing it yourself you need to get proper step by step information on the process like what grades of paper to use, what type of filler, primer and paint you need to use otherwise you'll only be making an more ridiculous decision than last time.

A bodyworks is only going to charge you more if they have to fix a botched job. Unfortunately you cant wash it off and start again. Hope this helps.

hmmk.. note taken. its not actually dented, just looks that way because of my crap job before to mask it, but it is a metallic black im pretty sure.

Know approx how much it will cost from a body shop?

hmmk.. note taken. its not actually dented, just looks that way because of my crap job before to mask it, but it is a metallic black im pretty sure.

Know approx how much it will cost from a body shop?

Seriously; just take the car to a panel shop and TALK to them. :rolleyes:

If you think it's too expensive; go to another one. Look at the standard of workmanship on the cars they are working on, and their level of interest in your car.

An internet quote will be as good as the paper it's written on. ;)

I had some work done on my SX after some twat gently bumped into the rear quarter in a carpark, with similar damage. Was about $650, most of the cost was the paint (pearl+metallic). They will have to do the whole quarter, about halfway (or higher) up the rear pillar, and at least half the front door for a decent colour match. The side rear window will come out for that price.

You will find cheaper quotes than that though, mine was a pretty thorough job and I was happy to pay extra to have it done right