SAU Community

HELP!!! defected again and first EPA.........

pawson

Guest INASNT

LOL

Welcome to the canary club!!!! :D

As said before youe only allowed one intake mod, FMIC or Pod, and most times you need an non-oiled based paper type pod to be 100% safe when you do the test. When they do the dB test they will rev ur car to 5000rpm as thats what they are meant to coz its 75% of the power band. For the emmision test they will also stick a probe on ur cat and check its operating temperature.

Dont stress to much as the epa guys aint like cops, and they are actually preety easy to talk to and long as ur car looks preety stock they will pass you.

I think ronin09 still has his stock cat back system, which i borrowed about 1 year ago when i had my day at mcloud.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boys I'll tell you a legal loop hole.

Call the EPA and say you have sold the car. You can say the transfer papers are yet to be processed. I would say you do not have contact details of the new owner and therefore can not pass pon the message. They wont have time to follow up on your story.

If you dont like this idea I have stock front pipe and stock BOV

Adzmax: writing that on a publicly watched forum is just silly. Not all law enforcement people will know that info - you are helping spread it! Thanks :(

This guy has an R33 gtst with aftermarket hid's which are probably legal so please edit your post :D

Are you for real?? As if they don't know that already and I think you'll find they are not. Do you think the whole of the Victorian police force has nothing better to do than surf these forums to get their information?? In any case I'll edit it just for you.

Thanks for editing, but if you disagree with me then put it back. I am not the forum police.

Real Police do watch forums.

A lot of police dont have a clue about what is legal on cars and what isnt - you must know this? They just hand out fines because we are clearly not paying enough tax!

I agree they don't have clue about what is legal or not. This is the first time the cops said my brake stopper is illegal. WTF? this is for a safety stuff, not for the power performence.

Just anything they saw in the engine bay is not stock. illegal.

u cant legally sell a car with a canary as u need it to b sold with a r/w cert

i sold my vl legally without roadworthy and plates, whats the problem?

I do agree they watch us mate but I don't think they ALL see. In any case I'd prefer not to get on you bad side :D

No harm done mate, I do get a little paranoid at times :Paranoid:

I know it is strange, but when the car came from Japan, it already got PFC and the SAFC. I don't know why the Japanese owner want to do that, but good for me instead.

more question, before I go to the EPA, I just unplugged the unit of the booster and  turbo timer and leave the wiring in the car, is that possible? car still can move? I know if unplugged the SAFC the car won't start.

Well take the SAF-C right out totally, here is your chance.

No, you cant leave all the wiring in the car, and just take the screens out.

That doesnt work.

You solenoids will still be in the engine bay, and the EPA will find them.

The EPA will also go right over your car if they see you have wires floating around as then know it's then modified and you'll fail.

As everyone has said. take everything off

Right down to the wiring for SAF-C, boost solenoids, pod (just for the hassle)

absolutely everything.

Nicky: where did you get the info for EPA rules etc. Only thing i saw on their website was related to like noisy neighbours.

Pawson: " know it is strange, but when the car came from Japan, it already got PFC and the SAFC. I don't know why the Japanese owner want to do that, but good for me instead."- i was under the impression your car had to be stock to be complied.

Curious to see more information regarding pods/fmic/etc. i heard there was some issue with oily filters, but k&n are sold legally at autobarn (or so my friend who worked there said).

with the SAFC, the wires are not in the engine bay. It connects directly to the ECU hidden on the passenger side. With the wiring of the SAFC, connect the standard yellow wires (air flow) and your car should start like normal. unplug all the other wires and connect back after the EPA test.

I got done recently, Fined $500, 3rd time in 9 months.

They tested my DB at 4800 rpm. They checked my ECU, and AFM as i ran a Link ECU. They said nothing about my Profec B which was simply unplugged or my turbo timer. If you have a FMIC you cannot have a poddy as stated before by other peeps.

True the 2 guys down there are good to chat with, but it burns me when their friendly to you but at the same time dicking around with your car and hand you a $500 fine. The slim fella with short hair greying on the side, said they tend to give us these fines as to them its justifable because we spend so much money on our cars!

Basically the $500 fine was because I had been done 3 times in a year, already. when they got me the forth time in Epping, copped the fine and told me if i get a pass then change shit again i'll be going to court.

• 1 year later...

Somebody mentioned something about not having a Turbo Timer? I have an EPA test on my 32 GTST on November 10th. The car is pretty much stock apart from exhaust and frontmount. I'm not sure exactly how loud the exhaust is, but it isn't one of those 1s that rumbles all day long, pretty quiet on idle too. So basically, turbo timer must be removed for EPA testing????? :O