SAU Community

Rb20Det - Forward Facing Plenum

Hey guys,

I really want to run a forward facing (not even for the performance gain, but for the fact that changing plugs and setting timing become a harder task with the piping running it's current course).
Just wondering who has used what plenum? and a link to purchase.
Pro's and cons of said plenum?
What you've had to move in the engine bay to run the plenum?
Have you had to modify the plenum itself to fit?
If the throttle cable didn't reach, which cable did you use?
Did the tps wiring reach or did it need extending?

Any other valuable information is appreciated.

Cheers, Cameron.

I agree with the comment above... in most cases going for a front facing plenum is going to be a performance loss, not a gain. This is due to the shorter runner length robbing you of torque low in the rev range. Due to the smaller capacity this will be very apparent with the RB20 engine and make it a pig for day to day driving.

You can get cheap copies of the Plazmaman style plenum top on eBay, this will retain your lower runners which is probably the best compromise.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/All-New-POLISHED-Nissan-R32-Skyline-RB20DET-RB20-GTS-Intake-Manifold-Plenum-/121040978566?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2e9ac286

Keep the stock one, unless you just want your bay to look 'neater'

I was going to get the plazmaman rb20 plenum, but after reading a lot of info about these going onto rb20det it's a loss in power.

Also supposably it bolts straight on BUT other things will get in the way, battery ect.

So I'm sticking with stock, good for 270kw or more. An rb20 probably won't see much more than that anyway..

This was one of the plenums that caught my eye as it looks relatively standard to someone (ie: a cop) who doesn't know much about plenums and would only be looking for shiny chrome.

Anyone on here used it and has some feedback?

I simply wouldn't do this to any RB engine unless I was putting a high mount turbo on and there was simply no hope of keeping the inlet pipe running across the engine toward the turbo. All other reasons (appearance, accessibility of coils/plugs) are insufficient for the compromises and arse pain involved.

I simply wouldn't do this to any RB engine unless I was putting a high mount turbo on and there was simply no hope of keeping the inlet pipe running across the engine toward the turbo. All other reasons (appearance, accessibility of coils/plugs) are insufficient for the compromises and arse pain involved.

I have a t04e high mount using a stock plenum.. Still not changing though.. :) ..the plenum that is.

My t04e can get farrrrked

Edited by Zrobe

I've actually ordered a plazmaman plenum for mine to simply clean up the engine bay and make everything easier to get to, I'm just waiting for it to turn up. So far I'll have to extend the tps wires and I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with the coolant pipes yet but I'll let you know how I go.

Footnah - That plenum is a copy of the Greddy plenum designed for RB25. Due to its short runners, you will be very disappointed with the loss of torque if you go with that plenum.

Just do it like the pic that johnnilicte posted. All the money you will spend on this could go to another turbo, or tune, or injectors, or guages or anything else you want. You will spend the money then regret it like i did on my RB25 when i bought a china front mount and all i had was issues, and for what? Nothing.

That's definitely going to be plan B, but it's only solving one problem..

I'm still going to do more research until I can completely rule out a forward facing, then I will retreat to Plan B.

I make money to spend it, and it's not really that much. I see it as more of a gain than a waste so I'm happy to justify a few hundred on a new plenum if it makes my life easier down the track.

Also, I don't want another turbo or any other mods to this engine along those lines. I'm keeping the car the way it is (to a certain extent) so I can enter it in the AS class for nationals and still have a car that's happy to be street driven. My extra cash goes into the track car which is where I want the power.

It's not a gain. It is a waste. And no, there are no options for bolting anything onto the standard runners that are as good as the standard plenum. Those options are only the least worst.

Big FFPs are for motors making massive power that need a big increase in plenum volume (and a suitable increase in TB size and so on). There's no need at all at anything up to quite unstreetable power levels.

Edited by GTSBoy