SAU Community

DECA - The Aftermath

Al

Just wanted to let everyone know that I saw my grandma this morning and she heard on the news(radio) that the "Nissan boys from Melbourne" (thats a quote), cleaned up in Shepparton on the weekend.

Not sure what station - but it must have been ABC or sumthing, just letting y'all know that you got recognition!!!! - How goods that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROUND 2, Their response and my reply :(

Posted on Fordmods:

I think you are missing the point here. After I re-read it again, cant say there is much if any BS in there. I know I make reference to Rice this and Rice that, but its more in jest and joke than anything...  

I do respect the indiviual cars, etc, however in my opinion the badge does have alot to do with it. You guys are driving cars that are designed primarily as sports cars. No room for baby seats here.... turbos... all wheel drive and more. We're all driving in most cases bog stock Falcons. Family cars designed to be big and comfortable. No where near sports orientated. We will put an exhaust or a cam or lower suspension in, but unless you spend big bucks, it wont meet something that is purpose built. I'm just wondering, when you did take on the black AU, did you have a high respect for it, or were you pretty confident you were gonna take it. I guess you already knew it was a stock AU... Company car if I what I was told is true.  

I didnt see any of the skylines, etc wtih burnout rubber on them (unless they had some cheap 17/18's on), but still they were 17/18's with low profile rubber. Not the wrecker bought and second hand 15/16's with much higher profile (read worse handling) tyres that the fords and holdens were using.  

As for the GTT with the claimed $30K of mods. I know I was speaking to someone who claimed that. Whether he was BSing me or not, I dont know. But it was said.  

All I am saying that considering what you guys were driving, I would have thought some better results. At the end of the day, it was all fun. But I did see an number of guys where the fun evaporated when they saw they were beaten by something "inferior". And I do have their faces and reactions on tape, after I watched the thing again last night. I suppose the driver does make a big difference, but the car does as well.  

Alot of this stems from where I live. Im my area you are frowned upon if you drive a Ford, and not an import or holden. It was just nice to see that the Fords managed to hold their own on the day.  

Cant see where I've made any pityful excuses for any short comings. Maybe you can tell me where. But I will be on the track next time, financial reasons kept me off it this time.

MY REPLY:

Don't take my previous post entirely directed at you personally. I quoted your post because it allowed me to highlight some untruths. There have been a couple of other users that think Nissan-Jap crap, Ricers, rice burners, etc.  

I myself can respect the effort a person has put into his/her car and appreciate all their hard work. For example; the orange '70's Holden Ute, that was one neat looking car and to see it on the track rather than being towed on a trailer was great.  

I have known Andrew for many years and when I lined up against him, the first thing I told him was "Oh shit!". Nothing to do with the car, but his ability to drive and considering he had ABS and possibly traction control (things that I do not have on my car) I knew it was going to be close. When I lost, I left with a burn-out and a big smile on my face, then congratulated Andrew on his win.  

I also am an active member or Northern Street Cruizers and attend most Ford and Holden events. B4 my skyline I owned an XF falcon, when it came time for a change I was considering buying an XM coupe and dropping in an XR8 engine. When it came to it though, I decided I wanted a performance car and could not go past the skyline for bang for bux.  

At the beginning of the day I put my 16" stockies with cheap rubber that was used to pass compliance. I had absolutely no traction and was understeering round every corner. So I fitted my 19" rims at the front, this helped, but 19" are NOT good for handling, especially when using the 16's on the rear.  

In all I had a great time and really don't mind some friendly rivalry .  

PS: All Skylines are designed on a 4 door chassis. They are available in 4-door, coupes, station wagons, twin turbo, single turbo, and naturally aspirated. So what do you call a 4-door station wagon with the GTR running gear? Is it a family car, no different to a Falcon station wagon or is it a purposely built performance car? Basically it is no different to the Ford's FPV or Holden's HSV. Skylines can almost be viewed as Japan's locally built family car, with the option of coming as a coupe'. The turbo only compensates for the lack of torque produced by the 2.5ltr engine. Considering the price of fuel in Japan a 4.0ltr 6-cylinder or a 5ltr V8 is not feasible.  

Well all the best, and hope to see you all at the next Northern Street Cruizers event.

Well done Al,

I love your polite but hard response and effort to be diplomatic. I'm sure you will have converted a few hard core Ford fans with that reply and we shall see them driving Skylines at the next DECA day.