SAU Community

R34 Xanavi Screen Mechanism

NeilC

For those of you who have the Pop Up xanavi screen still in place and have wondered if it can be put to some use. (Other than a paperweight or door stop)

Have just reconfigured mine as follows. Firstly we need to remove the mechanism from the dash.

1. Remove centre air vents

2. Remove the two screws retaining the cover and pop it up and remove it.

3. Remove the four screws holding the mechanism in place and the two wiring plugs at the rear.

Now the next step is to make the screen raise and lower when needed. Remove the cover from the circuit board where the loom plugs into. You are looking for M- and M+ which are on your left hand side. These two are the motor up/down control points. Carefully solder two wires to these points ( ordinary thin type speaker wire is fine for this as the current draw to raise and lower the screen is not high.)

Apply 12v to them as below.

M- Screen Up

M+ Screen Down

Frame to earth.

To get the screen to go up and down as required we need to put a changeover relay in the circuit as follows

Pin 30 Acc +

Pin87 M+

Pin 87a M-

Pin 85 Will depend on what you want to use the screen for. I am mounting a 5" TFT LCD Screen in the gutted out frame and will be using the feed from the reversing camera.

post-114090-0-91050400-1374243764_thumb.jpg

Into reverse the screen pops up out of reverse the screen goes down. My unit has limit switches on both up and down so that the screen stops at the correct place. Am presuming they are all the same. Other uses could be sat/nav or an aux screen from a double din H/U

I do have some pictures of the circuit board mods but cant upload for some reason. Keep getting an Error 403 msg????????

Ok finally the picture of the board and the relay to operate the screen.

post-114090-0-65223000-1374740663_thumb.jpg

Although I have used a micro relay to do this you can use a standard changeover relay and mount it elsewhere.

Closeup of micro relay. I ratted an old remote central locking module I had laying around.

post-114090-0-02084100-1374740894_thumb.jpg

My dvd screen has been ordered and when I get it I will post up some more pictures of my project. Chris you posted up some pic ages ago of the board but I npw cant find them. At least not without trawling through a whole pile of old posts :-)

Thanks Chris. Like probably so many others my whole system was shot. The screen would only open when it felt like it. The dvd/camera screen I have coming is self contained and my plan is to use the mechanism and original screen frame to mount it into if you follow me. Most people probably wouldnt bother and would either fit up the later system or the gauge pod in its place. Me I am a tinkerer and this is more for myself than anything else but I thought I would post it up in case it was useful to someone else as well.

Thanks Chris. Like probably so many others my whole system was shot. The screen would only open when it felt like it. The dvd/camera screen I have coming is self contained and my plan is to use the mechanism and original screen frame to mount it into if you follow me. Most people probably wouldnt bother and would either fit up the later system or the gauge pod in its place. Me I am a tinkerer and this is more for myself than anything else but I thought I would post it up in case it was useful to someone else as well.

For anyone who removes the original screen from the xanavi frame, I'll buy it from you.

Wouldnt mind having a play...

• 2 weeks later...

So my monitor arrived yesterday.

post-114090-0-78424700-1376098994_thumb.jpg

Fitted into the Navi frame

post-114090-0-67134400-1376099058_thumb.jpg

Trial fitup

post-114090-0-05114700-1376099101_thumb.jpg

Finished

post-114090-0-07542000-1376099152_thumb.jpg

For now its only hooked up to the reversing camera. If I can find a way to output the satnav to one of the video outputs i will be doing that also. Somehow I dont think its possible to replicate the main screen except for video output unless I can hack into the windows CE that drives the unit if that is at all possible.

Sorry Chris original screen is gonsky. I have the DVD player, radio and the unit out of the boot. Didnt think any one would want a screen that didnt work. If you know of anyone that wants the other bits let me know as they are of no use to me at all. Free to good home or in the bin they go.

Cheap shit chinese head unit. Cant re direct the satnav to anything other than the main screen. Should have left it in the Prado when I sold it. Oh well tough titty.