SAU Community

Permits

20det

Where in Perth can i get permits for my mods, and because i have permits does that mean its foolproof for when cops decide to pull me up and try and give me a yellow, please bear with me as i dont know much about about Perth laws as back in NZ you can put pretty much anything on your car and get away with it,..I cant afford to be yellowed as it will f**k me up for work

The Pits/Licensing Centres can issue permits for small things like coilovers etc.

Anything crazy (brakes, cams, turbo etc.) would have to be done by an Automotive Engineer.

depends what it is,

i am going through engineering for my build at the moment, but its a 2.8 with a big single, half cage, suspension & brake mods.

but

you need to submit the paperwork to DOT and they will respond with approval in principal. then you engage and auto engineer who sorts it all our for you.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_F_VS_ModificationLightVehicles.pdf

depends what it is,

i am going through engineering for my build at the moment, but its a 2.8 with a big single, half cage, suspension & brake mods.

but

you need to submit the paperwork to DOT and they will respond with approval in principal. then you engage and auto engineer who sorts it all our for you.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_F_VS_ModificationLightVehicles.pdf

Would DOT really approve of this, street driven?

My 32 is not running and I'm scared of even letting the rego run out haha

Edited by Zrobe

The mods i have carried out so far, are 3'' turbo back exhaust with hi-flow cat, adjustable coilovers, front mount intercooler, BOV, Pod filter and 18'' rims.. I just want permits foir those mods to prevent a yellow sticker, or do you guys think i can still get one even with permits?

The mods i have carried out so far, are 3'' turbo back exhaust with hi-flow cat, adjustable coilovers, front mount intercooler, BOV, Pod filter and 18'' rims.. I just want permits foir those mods to prevent a yellow sticker, or do you guys think i can still get one even with permits?

Well I'm in QLD and when I transferred the my r32 gtst into my name, pretty much same mods as yours

They didn't look over the car or anything.. But I wasn't re-registering.. So yeah different ha..

I can say no to pod filter.. That won't pass. (Unless its secured??) but stock air box is better anyway..

Edited by Zrobe

Would DOT really approve of this, street driven?

My 32 is not running and I'm scared of even letting the rego run out haha

they have sent me a letter for approval in principal, so yes

i just need to pass an emissions test, noise test, brake test (E85 and a "custom exhaust" will take care of that ;) cant have an external gate

and f**k yes it will be street driven, i am not paying xx,xxx to modify a car to leave in a shed or carry on a trailor

drive to the mother f**king office

Haha good to hear! I think I'll be going down the E85 path also.

they have sent me a letter for approval in principal, so yes

i just need to pass an emissions test, noise test, brake test (E85 and a "custom exhaust" will take care of that ;) cant have an external gate

Do you mean can't have an external gate venting to atmosphere? Or no external gate at all?

Cant have external gate venting to atmo, untreated exhaust gas = big no no

Yeh this is obvious; Hattori didn't specify though. Just said no external gate. I was quite sure a plumbed in external wastegate is fine, though I haven't been through the process myself, so just wanted to clarify.

I bought my skyline over from NZ and it had pretty much the same mods. It passed the pits, I got the permits and havent had any problems.

I bought my skyline over from NZ and it had pretty much the same mods. It passed the pits, I got the permits and havent had any problems.

have you been pulled by cops yet?.. i wish i brought old skyline over from NZ, i spent thousands on it but didnt realise i could.

You need to get a copy of the rules from DOT for modifications that are legal. Some people mistake permits or engineering certificates for a "do what I like and get away with it" permit. For example, if you lower your car to 2cm off the ground, you will never get a permit or engineers certificate. You need to mod within the rules as well. Just something to keep in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

How have you got a permit for your adjustable suspension? i got a letter of approval in principal but its saying I need to have 1/3 of the original suspension travel and a engineers report. There is no way the BC coilovers are going to have 1/3 of the original travel. I've started the hunt for standard suspension to get over the pits