SAU Community

Remote Starter For V36 Query

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone here has a remote starter on their vehicle as I'm having a little difficulty in trying to get mine to behave. I recently installed an alarm along with the XpressKit DB-ALL. On paper, it seemed the goods, just like the Clifford Avantguard G4 I once had in my Maxima - remote start, ability to take over with the engine still running and errand/pit-stop mode to allow the vehicle to run, remain armed and hop back in again to drive away.

The problem with the XpressKit solution is that the remote start doesn't allow me to then take over. According to the manual, I should be able to just enter the vehicle with the OEM remote, close the door, press the brake pedal and then it hands control over to the OEM system before disabling the remote start on the alarm. What it also says in the manual, though, is "Get In and Go connections required" but the damn manual doesn't say what those connections are and whether or not they're in addition to the connections showing in the wiring diagram earlier in the manual. I've connected everything as per that wiring diagram but I can't help thinking that DEI have intentionally left out that one bit of detail to annoy people like me who have taken the DIY path rather than through one of their authorised dealers. Several emails to Directed's tech support in Canada have gone unanswered beyond their response to my initial pre-sales enquiry when I was ready to purchase the unit.

Has anyone tried this brand of remote start bypass module before and if so, what are your experiences with it? All other functions seem normal and compatible with the exception of the door lock actuation via the BCM. It seems there may be a difference in the JDM Siemens VDO BCM as grounding the supposed unterminated lock/unlock pins on the BCM have no effect. I ended up having to make a relay board consisting of 3 relays allowing me to safely and harmoniously interface the alarm together with the BCM.

Edited by The Max

I know that the CANbus plays up with ANY variety of alarm or any sort of introduced electronics on the V36. I am sure Chris will harp in soon and let you know the (presumably bad) news.

Just to add some detail to that last message, as it was the result of speaking to DEI's tech support in Canada, here's what the current (and seemingly final) situation is with the DEI install I performed on my V36:

1) Vehicle remote starts fine, Viper reports "Disarm" on the remote but does not alter the state of the door locks. In other words, if the doors are already locked, they remain so and likewise if they're already unlocked.

2) Viper then reports "Armed" on the remote but again, no change to the door locks.

3) Upon entering the vehicle as per the DB-ALL's instructions for the Get in and Go functionality, the moment I touch the foot brake, the remote start is deactivated and the vehicle stops running. I then have to manually start the vehicle. This is something I have to live with, it seems. After discussing the problem with DEI's technical phone support staff last night, they tried their best to analyse what was going on as their belief was that it should just work. We both agreed, on my suggestion, that this must be an issue of different programming between the USDM and JDM spec of these vehicles, highlighted by the fact the lock/unlock pins on the USDM vehicles' BCM don't seem to exist/function on the JDM BCM, as one example.

4) I found that the remote start was intermittent after having successfully used it for over a fortnight now. What I came to discover was that in my laziness and not setting up any Engine Checking Mode (left it off with cranking time set to the maximum 4.0 seconds), the brake switch was only actuating for about 2 seconds sometimes and therefore not in time for the DB-ALL to do its thing, leaving my vehicle with the ignition on but not started and all the while, the Viper thinking everything was running just fine. I pulled my finger (and Bitwriter) out, set up Engine Checking Mode to Tachometer, started the vehicle manually and programmed the tach speed while the vehicle was idling. We'll see if that's resolved the issue as I'm confident it should now hang onto the brake switch signal until it's at least cranking. Serves me right for being lazy!

So with all that said, I basically just have to live with a vehicle that needs to be restarted every time I hop in. In the grand scheme of things, though it means I'm doubling the use of my starter motor, at least the engine is warmed up and the cabin temp is where it should be by the time I hop into it. Have to take the good with the bad on this one, which is a shame but it's better than not having it at all. More importantly, at least the rest of the vehicle is unaffected and I have a clean bill of health according to my Consult III+ diagnostics unit.

Thank you most kindly. Let me know if they need any further information from me or even bits like the NATS module or BCM from my vehicle for analysis. I've also got my CAN bus logger if they need me to extract any data that could help them out.

I have to go to Dallas Tx for business. the makers of that unit will be there as well. it will be easier to talk face to face rather than bounce emails.

if I resolve your issue then you owe me $$ :) deal?

• 7 months later...

Ok Chris, so how much do I owe you? :)

I'm finally back home and flashed the newer v2.16 NISS3HT firmware in my DB-ALL yesterday. The problem is finally resolved. Takeover works as intended.

I forgot to mention that this also means that their EIPS feature finally works too. I never liked the idea of the car still running without the key. I understand the merits but I prefer anti-carjacking in its roundabout kind of way.