SAU Community

Fj With Rb25Det Build Page

A vh40 in good nick with will squeeze a set of vt fronts no worries. As long as you get the appropriate disc/disc or disc/drum version.

I didn't realise about the sumps though. I suspected I guess but I was hoping it wasn't the case. I still have a bit to do before I'm up to test fitting though so I might still track down a patrol wreck.

If not I might throw a spare 186 and celica 5sp in to get me on the road and registered and take my time building the Rb.

That's what I started to do also but figured I was spending the money twice in some spots

Thought bugger it and started to go the whole hog

An rb25 is a much better choice to fit as the engine lays over about 8-10 deg and will clear the vt cylinders

Good luck with your build

You too mate.

The goal for the FJ is a to build a rat daily so a little 186 with a blower and AC might be simpler and faster to build than the big RB conversion. I haev a few other more extreme builds that serve other purposes so I think i just got a little carried away with this when I was given 2 VLs lol.

So far i have built a chev crated motored FJ47 (that doesnt have aircon)

11_zps5003282c.jpg

and a turbo chev ratrod (that doesnt have aircon)

sidefront31_zpsbdf74d36.jpg

So a RB30 FJ (WITH AIRCON!!) would have rounded out the fleet nicely, but its really too much work for not much (if any) advantages over the 186.

I still have 2 VLs that I need to use somewhere though, so I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

Today I finished tacking up the HR front end. I'll test fit tonight and get some pics, but since you have the epic sexy rodtech front, you probably don't care :P

Edited by Droopz

Wow got some cool rides there.

I used to have a fj45 ute with a cammed 350 chev and that went real well, your troopy would fly and that rat rod looks like something right out of mad max, bloody awesome!

Getting back to your FJ, I was going to go down the road if sticking in a 186 red motor and chucking on a turbo but by the time I worked everything out it was going to cost me a fortune.

If your interested have a look at a site called (turbo 202 ) they have a lot of the info you would need.

The contributing factors as to why I went for the rb25 DET and not a turbo 186 red motor

1. Easy to get a hold of

2. Compared to rebuilding a red motor it is cheaper to just go and buy another RB 25 if you blow it up

3. Twin over head cams

4. Already injected, if you run a Carby on the 186 turbo it can be a bit of a pig to drive and easy to melt things.

5. A shit load of aftermarket performance parts

6. Engine is already set up to run a turbo

7. Fairly strong bottom end good for 400 whp reliable

8. Awesome power and easy to get more

9. Newer technology, not 40-45 years old

10. Let's face it the RB engine sounds so sexy !!!

The reason I went for the Rodtech is for a similar reason, I had 2 hr front ends that I could have used but once you start looking for bigger brakes and trying to match different stub axles etc it can be a right pain in the ass, especially if you want to go front mount rack n pinion steering.

I figured $4500 delivered to my door here in Perth with new rotors, calipers, pads,adjustable coil overs and a reconditioned front mount RnP and fully engineered was not a bad deal.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people using a HR front end but I think its too much hassle.

The other thing is that the new N.C.O.P states that we can't go any bigger than 2.7L for a turbo engine in the old FJ Holden, something to check for in the NT to see if you guys have to comply to.

Have a look at the FXFJ forum, I am a member there also and there is also a lot of info on there and everyone is fairly helpful.

All the best with the build and I am looking forward to seeing and hearing how your build is progressing

Cheers

Paul

Edited by FJ RB25