SAU Community

Air Intake

On the air intake on my R34 Neo there is a large plastic box attached to the throttle body and then to the filter housing outlet pipe.

post-114090-0-42035600-1377755589_thumb.jpg

Am presuming its an air baffle or dampener of some kind. What are the consequences of its removal? Just wanted to tidy up that area cause it looks cluttered and poxy. There is also a small one hanging below the pipe from the air box too. Thought or suggestions please?

Neil

Interesting. Haven't seen that before. Possibly a dampener as you said, most likely for noise reduction.

In any case, when my car was NA it didn't have that. So I'd say no consequences in terms of how the car runs.

Thanks fellas. Was thinking same. @ Martin yours could have already been removed before you got the car possibly. @ Andrew yep can see the honeycomb moulding on the outside of the box. Have some assorted silicone bends laying around the shed so will remove and see what happens.

Thanks fellas. Was thinking same. @ Martin yours could have already been removed before you got the car possibly. @ Andrew yep can see the honeycomb moulding on the outside of the box. Have some assorted silicone bends laying around the shed so will remove and see what happens.

Yes, no doubt. So I'd say you will be fine removing it :thumbsup:

the smaller box, hanging lower towards the airbox is a Helmholtz resonator, leave that on otherwise the intake is going to hum a very annoying note, it sounds shit without it.

you can remove the larger box, replace with a 3 inch 90 degree silicon joiner.

you'll need a bit of 3inch tube to sit inside the remaining plastic intake as a solid base to clamp onto (like a solid joiner between the silicon 90degree and the plastic intake)

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/machine-design/84316-how-intake-resonators-improve-volumetric-efficiency/

the smaller box, hanging lower towards the airbox is a Helmholtz resonator, leave that on otherwise the intake is going to hum a very annoying note, it sounds shit without it.

you can remove the larger box, replace with a 3 inch 90 degree silicon joiner.
you'll need a bit of 3inch tube to sit inside the remaining plastic intake as a solid base to clamp onto (like a solid joiner between the silicon 90degree and the plastic intake)

#@iseekool

thanks - the link is a good read, i'll be reinstalling the larger box tomorrow to see if it does increase the torque slightly (or my help with fuel economy, which is fkucing shirthouse for an NA) as i too ripped that large box out to clean up the engine bay.

• 2 months later...

when i got my r34 I replaced my big box with a 90 degree pipe as it has a crack in it and was leaking, the smaller box had a crack in it aswell so I closed that off. Although my car got slightly more responsive and slightly better on fuel. I also had to replace the radiator and couldnt fit the 'cold air snorkel' as it didnt fit in between the radiator and the bonnet. So with all of that combined it sounds like a vaccum cleaner at idle and sounds like ITB's at 4-5krpm WOT.