SAU Community

Thrashed R33 S2

If you're going to drive your car hard and push a decent amount of power and occasionally see the track (where you keep the rpm needle buried into the red most of the time) you need an oil cooler. I dont think my engine would have lasted as long as it has without one. Keeps temps at a nice range even when it is hot and i am thrashing it.

I know a guy who bought a 33 at auction. It was in pretty rough shape, no service history, high kilometers etc. He got it registered and went straight to doing 7k pulls, clutch kicks and general abuse all the time - with no oil change or servicing at all. Oh and of course boost wound way up with no tune etc.

When my mate first saw the car he pulled out the dipstick and was shocked to see less than 2mm of tar-like burnt oil showing (after being wiped clean). 2 months go by of absolute torture and the engine finally starts blowing oil out the dipstick (blow-by). Still the car ran longer than that, with probably less than 2 liters of old, burnt oil in it. It finally succumbed a few weeks later.

A testament to the RB series' durability. BUT PLEASE SERVICE IT FREQUENTLY ANYWAY ;)

Edited by colourclassic