SAU Community

I'm On A Boat And I Say No To Rice!

toppertee

Forgot about this thread!

Sucks to hear about the problems but massive kudos to you to keeping at it! You got skillz!

I'm looking to sell my 5 and get into an s14 and follow a similar path

• Like 1

^^^^

Once you have boost, you can't go back!

Really starting to like the car. I've got a practice day out at QR on Friday so I'm looking forward to that.

The problems, with the car, It's the price you play for having a bad a$$ RB on boost.

As in fixing it, you could call it skillz if you like, It's more like, I'm a tight a$$. :wacko:

Going to start on the MS3 pro stand alone ECU, with Grant this weekend, if I don't blow up or wreak the boat. I've think I've/we have, worked out a way to use all the factory harness, with out having to chop the loom at all. 100% plug and play.

We really f'd up, the first time, with the MS3. I have no idea what we were smoking, must have been good.

MX5s are cool, track cars that is for sure, but if you want to go quicker, you need more HP, I was 7 seconds a lap quicker in the boat, on the national circuit, than in the MX5 and driving no where near as hard! So I'm happy

Hi All,

Well I took the boat to QR on Friday, to get a little seat time for the up coming QR300.

After the car made and lasted the day, I entered the car in Outlaw sports and sedans. I figured I needed to get use to getting passed by much faster better drivers. Lets just say R1,R2,R3 I got my a$$ handed to me. Then the rain came down, I was lucky enough to have a mate who leant me a set of tires with some tread on them.

I went from 2nd to last to 2nd in about 2 laps. I've never had so much fun!

Edited by toppertee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Long time no updates, I've been getting my racing on, I've been enjoying it.... Bank account has not, I'm sure a crack habit would be cheaper!

I was lucky enough to get a gentleman racer seat with Targa racing the QR300, had a great time in the new (now slightly use) Toyota 86. We ended up getting 3rd in class, because of a massive effort of my co-driver, doing 50 laps with no clutch and a broken steering wheel adjuster!!!! We beat the hell out of the 86, the motor never skipped a beat!

I wanted to run the skyline, but she was just not ready, I need to add a second fuel tank and new turbo too make her more reliable..... Maybe next year. Targa racing was quite affordable as long as you don't bin the car..... I was very well looked after and I think they are looking at running more cars at next years event.

Also thanks for Dale FZ1popping out a catching up.

Heres a couple of pic from the weekend.

QR300race_zpsdc039795.jpg

QRbumperoff_zps638d28d5.jpg

Thanks to my co driver I got something to hang in the shed.

86bumper_zpsf6c0fd17.jpg

Start back with some work on the boat.

New W7 pads in, I ate a set of Project MU club racer pads in one meeting at QR. 60 laps and they where done.

win7_zps08a0cac8.jpg

I've got massive over steer problems ATM, I've tried soft'n the rear, remove the rear sway bar. So I've switched the front springs from 8kg to 10 kg. I'm really lucky that a mate of mine has been racing a r33 for about 10 years, so there is always cheap parts around :no:

springs1_zps8d1595ce.jpg

springs_zps7ed890ee.jpg

I'm wondering at which point it starts oversteering, high speed sweeping bends, slow speed corners off exit etc. What throttle is being used prior to oversteer, and how it's responding to inputs.

There's got to be a few pearls of setup wisdom from your mate's race car as well as the parts... :yes:

That 86 looked like a lot of fun even in cold wet conditions. But I maintain it needed 100mm higher ride height and some gravel rally tyres. It would be at home in the forest.

I'm wondering at which point it starts oversteering, high speed sweeping bends, slow speed corners off exit etc

Yes, yes and yes

What throttle is being used prior to oversteer

All of it!!!!

how it's responding to inputs

Getting it's drift on!!!!

I'm hopeful with a stiffer spring in the front will help balance up the car.

On the 86, seems bloody good in the wet, another 100mm and trees wizzing may work quite well.

You weren't wrong about the faster cars. That yellow s13 was very quick!

Very quick car, but Sam can drive!

Worst of all he's a really nice bloke, so you can't hate on him either. There is a couple of guys that run with outlaws that can really pedal there cars. I was just getting some seat time before the QR300. I really enjoy driving and been on the track, I understand that red bull won't be knocking on my door any time soon.

• 2 months later...

Well,

The car started to miss, more so than normal. Ended up getting the s#its, started to take a look at the loom. Fair to say it looks like someone has taken to it in the past and dropped a big turd on it. Plus, Grant and I where having big problems getting the MS3 to work.

IMG_5484_zps4d091117.jpg

IMG_5485_zps7cedb1bf.jpg

So F#ck it, pull the loom and get my peg board on. This way, we can set up the MS3 pro ECU and test it on the bench, remove sensor not needed and repair the loom.

IMG_5486_zpsb821769c.jpg

I've also ordered a new coil, injector and knock sensor looms. from this company http://www.wiringspecialties.com/wsprrbs1inrh1.html

i would have made my own looms but the JDM plugs are blood hard to get hold of.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, we using that term loosely.... I.E. got the MS 3 up and running with all sensor running on the bench!!!! Bloody yeah!

I've re-fitted a good second hand s2 loom in my car. Fired her up again so she's all running again...... Much to the neighbours delight!!!

I.E. ( nothing says get your Bogan on, to your neighbours, like a straight through rb25.... Yes that's right, it's got a rev limiter mother f**ker... What's that can't hear you... More boost... Thats right 2 way kazz.... Nice to be liked in your street!)

So to get the Ms3 running, I'm going to test run the boat on the track in a couple of weeks to make sure I've fixed the miss. Then I can take the extra sensors to run the MS3 off the peg board then fit and hopefully test fire the ecu in the car.... Grant will do a write up and steps DIY so if you want to fit one to your car.