SAU Community

Amep Secures Senate Seat!

-Boz-

No need to spill any beans, a quick Google search and it looks bad enough. Anyone who posts a video of themselves throwing roo shit at his mates should have the sense to remove it if they want to run for the Senate. He strikes me as a bogan who never considered he would actually win a seat.

He hadn't locked down or scrubbed his social media accounts before going to the polls. All the major media outlets now are having a field day with it. His list of favourite videos on YouTube is cringeworthy, he (as stated) has posted video of himself throwing shit at mates, his comments on facebook and twitter are beyond terrible (seriously, the dude thinks that George Bush was responsible for the Sept 11 attacks). The guy comes across as clueless, uneducated and a total buffoon.

This is the guy representing the community in national politics. I'd have thought the people they had chosen would have at least been smart enough to scrub their social media accounts before hand and who would have been prepared in some way for the massive media shit storm that is now in his lap. All that was needed was a simple statement expressing who he was, what he believes in and how he plans on taking the fight to the Capital. Instead he, and Keith Littler, are ducking the media and being reactionary instead of proactive and actually promoting the right sort of messages.

Here's an idea, the first BIG ticket items coming up for debate are the Carbon Tax, Education Reform, parental leave entitlements and asylum seekers. How about we put the media on alert that we are willing to sit down and negotiate with the major parties in a realistic manner? That we stand for basic Australian principles of letting people have a fair go and helping each other out? And that we will use this position to inform our decision making. And then steer the message in a way that actually benefits the car community - carbon tax, will support it being scrapped if the EPA is redirected to battle serious polluters instead of harassing car drivers. At the same time ask for concessions on the Luxury Car Tax or possibly rebates on fuel efficient, diesel and electric/hybrid vehicles. Fair go for families, makes owning fuel efficient cars more realistic for more people, gets the EPA out of the communities hair in states that need it. Education reform - get concessions for greater funding for driver training, possibly starting in high school, into the budget in exchange for support. Doesn't have to be huge, just a small pilot program for now. Parental leave - actually, I won't go there. I LIKE the coalitions idea, many people don't...

Give the media something, ANYTHING. Stonewalling now is the single worst thing that could be done.

I'm not expecting seasoned bureaucrats or lawyers with decades of experience or similar to be AMEP candidates, just not someone this bad.

Well stated Boz! It's true though, if you're in the public eye, clean up what you have depicting yourself.

If this is the guys that's stating he's a motor enthusiast standing up for and representing Motoring enthusiasts, then we're stuffed.

I don't see this ending well.

• Like 1

All Micro parties (barring the Liberal Democrats - I LOVE me some libertarian action) have pretty bullshit excuses for policies. However if they are smart they can use their position to effectively bargain for small concessions that enable the community to make the first few steps forward it needs. If they go in gangbusters demanding everything and trying to bend the majors over a barrel we will be marginalised and the Libs will find a way to work around us rather than through us. The role of a micro party/independent in the senate isn't to direct the flow of policy but to facilitate it by carefully aligning yourself with one of the majors in exchange for the initial ground work you want being laid down. The AMEP has one, tenuous chance to do this right. We f**k it up and all we have is a clown in a suit making noise and being unable to effect change as he has been marginalised in the media and in the senate.

We don't have the position the Greens did with a block of 10 seats holding sway over the senate. The libs only need some of the independants/micro's, not all of them.

Hmm... Looks like the AEMP are one step closer to securing the seat and one step closer to actually being able to influence stuff. All but one polling station and absentee votes are counted in Victoria and the AMEP still have the numbers.

However, nationwide the numbers have shifted. The Coalition now have 34 seats in the Senate and it looks likely that the leftist block (Labor/Green) will have 35. Seven other seats - Democratic Labour Party, Liberal Democrats, Nick Xenophon, Palmer United, Family First, AMEP and Australian Sports. First to four supporters wins! No way that the Coalition will give up a speakers spot unless they get 5 of the independents on board.

Because I want no part of a minor party? I may want to run for a seat with the Libs somewhere down the line :P

Liberal candidate you say? What exclusive private shcool and university did you go to!? Haha

Well anyone seen to be afilliated with the AMEP *Cough Downshift Cough* is going to be tarred with the same kangaroo shit covered brush.

When it is all said and done we as motoring enthusiasts will be set back years as a whole as perception is everything and this guy is percieved to be the bogan of the decade.

I should have run for leader over that guy, at least if nothing else I know how to bat my eyelashes and wear a skirt, he doesn't even have that going for him...

Doomed...