SAU Community

Polishing stuff

rob77

Guys,

My missus has a silver nova and for christmas a couple of years ago she got some turtlewax colour cure car polish. Anyway I decided to give it a try on her car to see if it was any good before trying some on mine :P Her front bonnet was replaced a few years ago when she had a prang but it wasnt sprayed properly and has faded over the years, so I gave it a coat of this polish stuff (its a liquid thats the same colour as your finish, ie: black, red, silver etc) and after the first coat had dried I buffed it off, it wasnt perfect but you could see the difference. So I gave it another coat and buffed it back and it was getting better. So I went and picked some of it up for my black r33 today and I've just finished applying one coat and I must say thats the best non-professional polish I have seen. It could do with another coat, but it got dark too quickly and I dont have a garage otherwise I'd be out there giving it a 2nd going over. It also comes with a chip stick for doing stone chips, it didnt work too well, but you are meant to use the chipstick when the cars in direct sunlight and hot to touch, I guess so that the stick can go a bit soft and get into the deep scratches better, I'll give that a go next weekend if its sunny. But I have to say give this stuff a go, I've only seen it in black, red, silver and blue and its only around $19/bottle. My front mount cooler should be here next week, so hopefully by the end of the following week its in and I'll have some pics to post! :uh-huh:

Rob

Hi Guys and Girls - my first post finally

I have been using the Turtle Wax Colour polish for a number of years when they first released it as something else - it is also really good at removing marks and small scratches although haven't tried the chip stick.

I haven't actually got my Skyline yet but am waiting for it to arrive from Japan in about 2 weeks time and then to get it complied. Will be a big step up from the Celica that's for sure.

This will be my first turbo car although not my first import as I used to have a Mazda 626 coupe and a Mirage in the early nineties before compliance was required.

Being new to all this I suspect there will be quite a few questions, etc from me.

Cheers, Al

Originally posted by skyzerr33

yeah but what polish or color do u use for a burgandy skyline with a faint gold pearl through it?

Thats a tough one although all I could suggest is trying it somewhere hidden and see what it does, the polish is supposed to use the car's own colours but the gold could be difficult

Al

Yeah I use that Turtlewax stuff and it is pretty good, but not as good as the bottle or TV ads say it is. I found that adding a some to a medium abrasive rubbing compound when removing any marks, light scratching or paint faiding on the car works an absolute treat, I had to polish my entire sisters eunos 30x like this when it's paint had faided terribly, it took me a day but in the end it looked better than new, like a show car.

Greg. :devfu:

Ps the chip stick is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen, I advice no one uses it on their car.

Originally posted by Kyles

i found it quite funny you tryed it out on your wifes car first!

That way he can say: look honey i made ure car look all nice and shiny arnt i a good boy:D (extra brownie points)

And if it didnt work he can say: Who made this dam polish, i wanted to make it all nice for u and look what happend blah blah (while hes really thinkin "dam, glad i didnt try it on mine:D")

ive actually heard that this stuff isn't good for your paintwork!

there was a thread about polishes etc and some people had proof that over time it deteriorated the paintwork... i used to use it but being paranoid about my car have now stopped.

i use meguliars gold class wax, it takes a while to do 1 coat (which means it only happens once every 2 months!) but the finish on that is excellent. pity it doesnt last too long on the black car!

Guest KILLER-T

Meguiars Gold Class, Meguiars scratch-x are good they are about the only ones that dont make swirl marks on black paint and another good one is eagle one wet look spray on wax its good if you are too lazy to polish it just spray it on and wipe it off :P