SAU Community

R34 Gtr V-Spec Ii Factory Spring Rates

Hi Everyone

Can anyone confirm this:

Front 4.0 kg/mm
Rear 5.0 kg/mm
(source: GTR mag)
Usually the front is more than the rear, but in this case, it isn't?
I'm trying to choose springs to get for my new setup, and just wanted to know a few things about the factory setup.
Can any one help out?
Thanks

Yes on GTR's the Nissan/Nismo stuff is softer at the front than the rear other than the R32 Nismo which is the other way around.

Most of the other aftermarket gear isnt because they usually dont much bother with tailoring their gear to individual cars or realise that most people drive the things in a straight line anyway where you do want softer rears.

Nismo S tune:

5300S-RSR45
Nissan - Skyline GT-R - BNR34 - F:6.0 R:6.7
It is that way to help reduce understeer. Ofcourse depending on your objective/tyres/camber/sway bar/attessa/power output you may choose differently. But generally GTR's are, handling wise, horrible understeering shtboxes and you end up using every trick in the book to try and make the nose heavy buckets turn.
Edited by djr81

Thanks for the reply - I might get aftermarket gear to match the factory balance. Does anyone this this is a bad idea?

I'll either stick with 4 Front 5 Rear, or maybe 5 front 6 rear.

Its just mostly going to be a street car so I don't want it to be too rough - our roads are shit.

IIRC SK used to recommend that you match the spring rates to the weight balance, ie if its 60:40 front rear then the spring rates are also 60:40 front rear, and you fix the understeer with sway bar rates (if possible). Maybe a middle road between the two approaches using even rates would be the best compromise? The trade off is ride/handling (weight balanced spring rates) vs better front/rear grip balance (stiffer than weight balanced on the rear).

My 32 GTR is 8/6 spring rates with the front sway bar of full soft and the rear sway bar on full hard. Still understeers.....maybe i should try the Nismo understeer fix and get softer springs in the front.

I was thinking of sticking to the factory spring rates, and lowering the car. Because the car will be lower I figured it would be slightly more rough/rigid than standard anyway.

But I will look into the weight distribution of the car and see what suits it best.

Going to go for a set of Tein Monoflex, and the new G Sensor/active auto dampening. Just need to know what spring rate I want because I won't be racing it much at all and want it to have a nice ride on the street.

Does anyone have any suggestions for spring rates?

As I said, I won't be racing it much at all, its mainly for the street. And I have to be mindful about my back, as since some last retarded piece of shit ran a red light and hit me, my back isn't too flash.

I'd like a firm ride, but not rough as shit lol.

Found this:

This responsiveness is even more amazing considering the Skyline's uneven weight-distribution of 57% in front and 43% in the rear. Usually a layout like this would be expected to be dominated by understeer, but due to ATTESA's intervention, the car is given a more sportive, rather oversteering character. Be careful though, pushing the car to far to its limits may result in a sudden loss of grip at the rear wheels - partly because of the uncompromising Bridgestone tires.

Does anyone have any suggestions for spring rates?

As I said, I won't be racing it much at all, its mainly for the street. And I have to be mindful about my back, as since some last retarded piece of shit ran a red light and hit me, my back isn't too flash.

I'd like a firm ride, but not rough as shit lol.

If it is just for the road I would reckon something about 5kg/mm is of the right order.

Found this:

This responsiveness is even more amazing considering the Skyline's uneven weight-distribution of 57% in front and 43% in the rear. Usually a layout like this would be expected to be dominated by understeer, but due to ATTESA's intervention, the car is given a more sportive, rather oversteering character. Be careful though, pushing the car to far to its limits may result in a sudden loss of grip at the rear wheels - partly because of the uncompromising Bridgestone tires.

Yes alot of sh!t was written by people who dont know what they were talking about. The %'s are right but the rest is nonsense. You need to differentiate between what happens when you are off or on the throttle. Off throttle the things understeer. On power they respond to however you have set up the 4WD system.