SAU Community

Twin Fuel Pump setup

Hey guys

Its late and im playing around with some ideas for fuel pump setups on my 33 before i goto bed.

was thinking of running the stock fuel pump into a surge tank. So using it as a filler pump just to keep the tank full. With outlets for 2 pumps. From there running 2 of the standard r33 fuel pumps. At the moment its working in my head. I think it would work a lot better.

Comments please guys..

Thanks

but that wouldn't really increase the pressure would it?

plus for the price of the 2 extra pumps you could get a bigger bosch one, and not have to worry about the twin exit and double the adapter costs for connections etc..

nice idea but would end up cheaper to buy a bigger pump IMHO

Yeah I'm not sure why you want to go all the expense of adding a surge tank, then running 2 cheapass old GTS-t pumps off it. You're also halving the life of your fuel system by using 2 pumps. You'll probably find that a brand new Bosch pump probably costs around the same as 2xGTS-t pumps anyway. Assuming you need to buy 2 and use your original one to fill the surge tank.

im after 300 - 350rwkw's

A nice hopefully relible 12 second maby high 11 car.

mods to go onto the car are

Parts i have (not installed on the car yet)

frount mount custom plenum - ford throtle body - gtr intercooler (using the intercooler piping specs you sent me sydneykid) - Rb30 radiator (using stock radiator oil cooler as a fuel cooler)

Still to come

3inch dump pipe - high flow cat 3.5inch from there back - power fc - rising rate regulator - q45 afm - oil air seperator - Adjustable cam gears - thermo fans - stronger clutch

I'm waiting to get everything I want before I put it all on the car so I only have to get one good tune. Not have 3 or 4 tunes due to new parts.

its already got whats listed below.

The original reason for running a surge tank was because in the future im hoping to use the car for some track work. Nothing extreamly serious.. just go out to the drift zone days maby some track days and of cause a bit of Drags.. Do I really need a tank for this?

is this possible? any more info please ask :D thanks guys

im after 300 - 350rwkw's

Simple, a single Bosch 044 will handle that easily. Much simpler than running 2 sets of fuel supply lines and increasing the return line. Plus give you another 5 psi of fuel pressure to play with.

just go out to the drift zone days maby some track days and of cause a bit of Drags.. Do I really need a tank for this?

No, not really, just make sure the fuel tank never gets below 1/3. You carry a bit of extra weight, but that's about it.

Hey thanks for that man

So the 044 is an external pump according to the bosh website.. how would I mount this?

as for the turbo.. not to sure trying to keep it on the small side as i want respone beacuse it is a street car.

So the 044 is an external pump according to the bosh website.. how would I mount this?

Hi ricleine, we mount them in tank all the time, never had a problem. The alternative is to mount it in series with the standard pump ie; the supply line from the standard pump to the engine comes out of the top of the tank and then dips down around the rear subframe. There is a join in the pipework, we put the external pump there. It is under the car so the noise is OK, out of harm's way and only a short run for the wiring. We always use a relay, 044's draw heaps of current and the standard wiring is too small.

Just in case you haven't heard of using series fuel pumps. The idea is you remove the resistance from the standard pump, so it pumps more. Heaps more in fact. This is then supplied to the larger pump which gets all the fuel it needs. So basially all you are doing is taking the surge tank out of the system, otherwise it is exactly the same in function.

Hope that helps

The bonus with R33's is the battery is in the boot, so its not all the hard to source power for your relay from the battery. How much worse off are you if you install the fuel pump externally? Too much noise? Not Practicle? Dangerous if invovled in an accident?

Sumo

I've had a 910 mounted next to the battery, very noisy the buzzing is a bit unbearable. Interested in trying to mount it like SK advised there, not sure about the relay though, does a fuel pump work by simply turning on/off the voltage or does the electrical current play a difference? how much current does a fuel pump draw anyway?

how much current does a fuel pump draw anyway?

Best way to find out how much the standard pump draws is to look a the size of the fuse. We use a 30 amp fuse for the 044.

SK

do you run a delay for the second pump so the original primes itself up to the external pump? or running them both at the same time keep the pressure up to both pumps and the rail...?

plus do the 044 pumps have -12 in and -10 out? what is the size of the original fuel lines in an r33gtst? you would have to run new fuel line from tank to ext pump wouldn't you?

Simple, a single Bosch 044 will handle that easily.  Much simpler than running 2 sets of fuel supply lines and increasing the return line.   Plus give you another 5 psi of fuel pressure to play with.

No, not really, just make sure the fuel tank never gets below 1/3.   You carry a bit of extra weight, but that's about it.

hi sydney kid,

curious, i have tried to mount 044s in gtst a few times and i have never been able to fit the o44 in the gtst cavity, i can do it ,but the pump sits on an angle with only 1 of the 2 x hooks that support the fuel sender to the inside of the tank.

i even had a fuel tank on the ground and a 044 and still couldnt get it in the cavity.

am i missing something.

thanks

Dean

Yep it's not easy, the diameter (50 mm versus 62 mm) and the extra length (110 mm versus 130 mm) makes it a tricky fit. Our race team fabricator has a design of bracket/adaptor that works pretty well. He made the original up because we were worried about the extra weight, the 044 weighs a bit over twice what the standard pump does (550g versus 1250g). Next time we do one, I will take some photos.

photos would be good, we generally use the factory bracket and mod it to fit the pump, length isnt a major problem as u can shorter the pipe and or hose to slide the pump up, but with the pump mounted to the original bracket with a fair bit of fab, it wont go in.the pump fits without the bracket , but not with the factory bracket.

ive actually had to fix a few where they are fitted to the factory bracket and in the tank on an angle with the filter sitting hard against the bottom of the tank, this actually caused a blow up on a customers car who tried to fit himslef.

thanks dean