SAU Community

Nistune Ecu Gains

White_33

I recently had a Nistune ECU (w/ Z32) tuned on my R33 S2. Mods are minor: 3" TB exhaust, FMIC and r32 actuator (11psi).

From drive in to drive out I gained a measly 10kw atw. Does this sound about right to anyone who has similar mods? I'm not concerned with the overall power output as I understand every engine is different, but I thought the gain would've been closer to 20kw. Would it be worth chasing another tuner to look at it again or hope that Toshi comes down to Melbourne to have a look? ;)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. Depends on what your mixtures and timing were like before, and what they're like now. If your fuel pump is not real good, and so your high load/rev mixtures were not as rich as the factory maps wanted them to be, then it would have been making more power than a std R33 should straight off. Also means that the available gains from tuning are eroded. If your tuner has not leaned on the timing as hard as he could (safely) do, then you might not have gained as much from extra timing in the top end as you might either.

You did not provide enough information in your post to be able to get much more specific than that. There are probably also a few other reasons why it didn't get better, from a collapsed cat to a rag in the intercooler pipe or weak coils, etc etc.

I recently had a Nistune ECU (w/ Z32) tuned on my R33 S2. Mods are minor: 3" TB exhaust, FMIC and r32 actuator (11psi).

From drive in to drive out I gained a measly 10kw atw. Does this sound about right to anyone who has similar mods? I'm not concerned with the overall power output as I understand every engine is different, but I thought the gain would've been closer to 20kw. Would it be worth chasing another tuner to look at it again or hope that Toshi comes down to Melbourne to have a look? ;)

sounds bout right to me, with same mods as you, I had a power fc installed and it made bout 10-15kw's more, and it was running very rich with stock computer..

Wouldn't expect too much from just a tune. But scope is there now for boost increase and further mods down the track.

Agree with this^

For a budget upgrade Add -> Injectors, Fuel Pump and High flow Turbo. Should net another 50+ rwkws

Edited by Sinista32

DO you honesty think Nissan f**ked the factory tune up so bad that you could make more than a few killerwasps extra?

Well, depending on which engine and ECU we're talking about.....yeah. R33 RB25DET ECU is so full of ghey in the upper right corner of the fuel and timing maps that just getting rid of all the extra fuel and putting some timing in it can be worth 20 rwkW at more or less the same boost. More or less the same with Neo. In both cases, you get a double benefit from being able to push the boost up a pound or two more than you can even think about running on the standard tune. So there's even more power available from that, and that is a direct response to the "Nissan f**ked factory tune" in both cases. Nissan went very conservative on those tunes. On an RB20 it wasn't quite so severe. You could run them at 13 or 14 psi on the standard tune and so you only gain a bit of extra power from leaning them out a little and adding timing, both of which were not quite as conservative on the factory tune as the later engines.

You still haven't told us what it made?

The biggest thing I noticed about getting my car tuned for the first time wasn't the power, it was the drive-ability. The car was a lot smoother and nippier than it was with the factory tune. I wouldn't get too hung up about the number, especially when it's dyno vs dyno and only 10kw difference.

Before tune it made 170kw and after it was 180kw. As I said I'm not fussed about the final output, I was more interested in the overall gain. This figure was made on the same dyno so it wasn't a dyno vs dyno comparison.

I was a bit annoyed about spending $1k = 10kw :P But I do agree with you, the car does feel a bit sharper.

Mine made 184kW after the tune (not sure what it was before tbh). Only mods are pod, exhaust from turbo back, and R34 SMIC, 9psi. So pretty much in line with yours really.

Oh, also seem to be getting much better fuel economy now. A welcome side benefit.