SAU Community

5 Stud Adapters?

Gw2

So i went to a wheel store today that recently opened, i saw these deep dish 5 stud 18 x 8.5 rims.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6983/d86l.jpg

The guy offered me $950 for all 4 rims + 4 new tyres, problem is that its a 5 stud pattern, i drive a 97 r33 gts-4, they have a 4 stud pattern. The guy said he would fit in adapters so that the rims would fit on the car. Has anyone heard of these adapters or know what they are? Ill try describe what they looked like, it was a circle silver disk that had a 5 stud pattern on it.

Ive never used adapters before so if any of you have or know anything about them tell me. Most important question is, are they roadworthy, is a p plater allowed to have them, would you get them etc etc, i just want to know about these before i purchase anything.

I got no idea what the hell happened with that link... it was just a imageshack link 0.o

anyways heres a pic of the rims, there not really that much of a deep dish, just have a silver lining around the rim

d86l.jpg

Walk away from that tyre shop. You can buy 4 stud wheels that fit brand new for similar price.

If you really want to go down that path, the 4 to 5 stud converter spacers will require lots of work to fit. Looking at about 3 hours labour. Factor that in as well.

No they are not roadworthy.

Rims are actually 8 inch not 8.5, i see many of you guys telling people to get spacers, if there not roadworthy does that mean i can get defected for them? If i ever did get pulled over would the cops be able to tell its got the spacer installed?

Guy quoted me 1,500 for the rims, spacers, new tyres 255 in the back 235 in the front, and lowering the car as much as i want with king springs, so far these guys have been the best price so i might do it.

I went back to the tyre store today and asked about these spacers if there illegal or what the deal is. He pulled them out and showed me, they are actually adapters not spacers, but yeah i think your right there probably illegal so im not going down that road, thanks for the help.

One of the workers at this tyre shop said its possible to take the rims to a professional shop which will actually drill in holes to make the rims fit as an alternative to adapters. Once again i have no idea if this is legal or not, i asked the guy at the shop and i didnt exactly get a yes or no answer, do you know if its legal/illegal to turn these 5 stud rims into a multi stud pattern? If so would you recommend it or know any place in melbourne or around it that does?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, i just really want rims similar to these but its so dam hard to find good looking rims with a 4 stud pattern =[