SAU Community

Hyper Gear Atr43Ss2 Or Precision 5858?

s213b

Would like some opinions from people that have had one of these turbos on an rb25det.

When did you reach full boost?

How much power did you make?

What was it like to drive?

I have a r32 gts4 with fresh forged rb25det with poncams and e85 & all supporting mods.

Would like 300/330awkw with full boost BEFORE 4000rpm. Can't decide between these two turbos

Thanks

They are very different turbos.

Both turbos should do what you want them to do on E85, >300kw and 4000rpm spool target. If I was to make a determination on the final result I feel the 5858 is more likely to exceed the power you are chasing whilst the SS2 is more likely to have better delivery, particularly on the street.

Having been on this forum for years I can say be it myself I would definitely be pursuing the SS2 before the 5858. The SS2 can be supplied in a complete bolt-on package and with an off the shelf bell mouth dump will save you a LOT of cash.

I truly believe for the 5858 to exceed the potential of the 'bolt-on' SS2 it will need to be highmounted on a decent manifold and with good gate flow. The SS2 has simply been trial and errored to death by Hypergear and the result is consistent. I have spoken to local tuners and owners about the turbo and it meets expectations for power and spool in all cases I have come across.

Though if you are going to put a manifold and stuff on it I think good WG flow and a 5858 .64 could be an ultra aggressive package (read light switch on off at a decent RPM).

GL

Would like some opinions from people that have had one of these turbos on an rb25det.

When did you reach full boost?

How much power did you make?

What was it like to drive?

I have a r32 gts4 with fresh forged rb25det with poncams and e85 & all supporting mods.

Would like 300/330awkw with full boost BEFORE 4000rpm. Can't decide between these two turbos

Thanks

I have an ss2 turbo.

Make ~280rwkw with boost bleeding down till 16psi up top on pump 98. E85 will bring you to ~320rwkw

Full boost ~ 4krpm. Also made about 190rwkw at 4krpm

IMO its a great little street turbo

Thanks for your replies,

Does anyone know how much laggier the journal bearing version of the 5858 is? ($800~ price difference)

I'm thinking of either getting a steam pipe manifold made up, and going the 5858 or using the std manifold, welding an external gate to it and using the 'bolt on' ss2.

Car is street only, and cost is a factor so I think I'm leaning towards the latter option.

Will the std exhaust manifold flow enough for 300awkw? (336rwkw before 12% lost through front diff)

I truly believe for the 5858 to exceed the potential of the 'bolt-on' SS2 it will need to be highmounted on a decent manifold and with good gate flow.

GL

I want to keep it low mount (street car & want to keep things looking as stealthy as possible) does this mean the 5858 is to big to have low mounted?

I have an ss2 turbo.

Make ~280rwkw with boost bleeding down till 16psi up top on pump 98. E85 will bring you to ~320rwkw

Full boost ~ 4krpm. Also made about 190rwkw at 4krpm

IMO its a great little street turbo

Do you have std cams?

Is that the internal ss2 or external ss2? I read that hyper gear got some decent gains in hp from going from int gate to ext gate on stock manifold

Do you have std cams?

Is that the internal ss2 or external ss2? I read that hyper gear got some decent gains in hp from going from int gate to ext gate on stock manifold

Hey Josh

Standard cams and internal gate

I want to keep it low mount (street car & want to keep things looking as stealthy as possible) does this mean the 5858 is to big to have low mounted?

Rondofj did an external gate 5558 off the stock manifold and TBH the result was not as stellar as we had hoped. There was no issue with tuning etc, just simply a less desirable result with the stock manifold.. However another member used the exact same turbo in BB form and got fantastic results, but that was a fantastic build too... Full flex tune E85, hypertune plenum and quality exhaust manifold.

Regarding the results on the stock manifold, even as an IWG Hypergear can supply the turbo with a 38mm flapper which works quite well. A member named Mick_O put a GTX3071R on his stock manifold IWG and got 335rwkw on E85 (caltex flex). In terms of outright power results tend to favour the SS2 from my experience. As many people have seen 270-280kw on 98 for both (thats what Mick_O had, too), and Stao has shown the SS2 achieving upper 300s on ethanol where another member achieved 350 on the GTX3071, I believe they use the same dyno (Scotty correct me if I am wrong?).

So, all in all the SS2 will be fine on internal gate on the stock manifold for your power goal on E85. You should be very happy.

Check the HG thread as there is a guy with a recently finished SS2 kit and he sounds over the moon.

Rondofj did an external gate 5558 off the stock manifold and TBH the result was not as stellar as we had hoped. There was no issue with tuning etc, just simply a less desirable result with the stock manifold.. However another member used the exact same turbo in BB form and got fantastic results, but that was a fantastic build too... Full flex tune E85, hypertune plenum and quality exhaust manifold.

Regarding the results on the stock manifold, even as an IWG Hypergear can supply the turbo with a 38mm flapper which works quite well. A member named Mick_O put a GTX3071R on his stock manifold IWG and got 335rwkw on E85 (caltex flex). In terms of outright power results tend to favour the SS2 from my experience. As many people have seen 270-280kw on 98 for both (thats what Mick_O had, too), and Stao has shown the SS2 achieving upper 300s on ethanol where another member achieved 350 on the GTX3071, I believe they use the same dyno (Scotty correct me if I am wrong?).

So, all in all the SS2 will be fine on internal gate on the stock manifold for your power goal on E85. You should be very happy.

Check the HG thread as there is a guy with a recently finished SS2 kit and he sounds over the moon.

Is that me? :P

I actually have to ask Stao about the turbo, because it was a bit of a prototype turbo when I first got it and then it was sent back and modded with billet wheel and different comp cover. So it might be a slightly larger SS2, I'm not real sure. Also my tuner seems to think its easily over 300rwkw and probably around 320 or slightly more. (Mine is ext gate + 256 poncams)

So I'll have to talk to stao about it, but for OP the thing feels amazing. It's laggier then my HKS 2835 for sure but that is a much smaller turbo

Having not had much experience with the precision turbos, I'm not going to bag them or say they are awesome. But can say I'm very happy with the Hypergear and the customer service you get from Stao puts the icing on the cake for me. Having come from the HKS turbo that didnt perform as planned, and then getting no support at all for it, one of the big things with my new setup was getting a turbo with good customer support

This is mine FYI:

20130827_195141_zpsd7a3b7d0.jpg

Ok I think the ss2 has won me over.

Ideally I'd like the ext gate with gate welded onto std manifold, but there's a ss2 internal gate for sale which would be ok I guess too.

Hopefully cams and e85 bring the boost on early, I've got 8:1 compression forgies :/

Mine is ext gate with the wastegate off the turbine housing, works well, it just gets a bit tight there. But if you are on stock manifold the wastegate can probably point straight up which will make it easy. Mine has a 6boost low mount manifold, which is a bit of a headache when trying to fit everything in there lol

8:1 is rather low... mine is 8.9:1

Ok I think the ss2 has won me over.

Ideally I'd like the ext gate with gate welded onto std manifold, but there's a ss2 internal gate for sale which would be ok I guess too.

Hopefully cams and e85 bring the boost on early, I've got 8:1 compression forgies :/

8:1 and e85? Boost the crap out of it

Have you measured the comp ratio or just going off the pistons? The deck height and head gasket will make a difference in what the actual CR is compared to what it says on the box for the pistons

Have you measured the comp ratio or just going off the pistons? The deck height and head gasket will make a difference in what the actual CR is compared to what it says on the box for the pistons

Just going off what I remember on the box, doesn't make a difference anyway really, their not coming out.

LOL thats the spirit, get it together and make some power :)

8.5 is fine, the effective CR after HG and machine allowances will be SFA different, maybe 0.2 or something like that. It's not data your tuner needs to get the most from your car, and probably a redundant concern on E85 anyway.

• Like 1

SS2 ftw, cant beat tao customer service always helps and answers any questions you have and happy to help figure out any issues. Ive upgraded to the ss2 from the old tr43i and will have it on the dyno on wed so will have some results of my own.

SS2 ftw, cant beat tao customer service always helps and answers any questions you have and happy to help figure out any issues. Ive upgraded to the ss2 from the old tr43i and will have it on the dyno on wed so will have some results of my own.

Whos tuning it? Ill also be on the dyno on Wednesday