SAU Community

M35 Hid Ballast / Parker Bulb Replacement & Model Number

jackbh241

Hi Guys,

A few questions here regarding the headlights on the M35.

1. For a while now I've had problems with the headlights cutting out (many times every time I drive it). It used to be only the passenger side lamp and figured I could swap the ballasts over to see if that's the problem however now it's both so I guess that isn't an option any more. I am assuming it's the ballast anyway but any thoughts as to how I would tell given that both cut out (at separate intervals - not at the same time).

2. Any one know what ballasts we can use? Preferably cheap ones? Or official model numbers?

3. I personal find the lamps pretty dull (doesn't help that you can't adjust them any higher than about 2ft in front of the car), any suggestions for a brighter bulb?

4. My passenger side parker lamp is also out, does anyone know the model number or aftermarket options?

Sorry about all the questions but any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks all,

haha yeh tried that just doesn't get quite high enough imo. Might just be a preference thing or the whole unit is badly aligned. Or I was just recently in a late model RX-8 and got jealous of the perfect line those things throw across the horizon. Amazing!

You can get cheaper ballasts of eBay and xenon burners aswell both for pritty cheap I got some bulds there before had a problem with them cutting out but it generally the bulbs going not the ballasts. I got 10000k bulbs super bright great light dispersion aswell but don't last asking as OEM ones but are 1/10 the price $8 for two so I just bought 6 pairs one pair lasts about a year.

You can get cheaper ballasts of eBay and xenon burners aswell both for pritty cheap I got some bulds there before had a problem with them cutting out but it generally the bulbs going not the ballasts. I got 10000k bulbs super bright great light dispersion aswell but don't last asking as OEM ones but are 1/10 the price $8 for two so I just bought 6 pairs one pair lasts about a year.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

10000k are far too blue; even 6000k are getting too blue in my opinion.

You want 4200k for the best light dispersion. Coincidentally this is what they use from the factory.

if the switch inside is at the highest point they you will need to adjust them by screwing the plastic nut on the back of your lights( it is on the little motor attached to the rear of your headlights).

Do HID bulbs need replacing after a periosd of time? I saw on another unrelated forum a discussion about replacing HID bulbs after a few years as they begin to lose their brightness, does this sound right? Mine are fine (I think) but they are 10 years old and I will replace them if they are a consumable item. The discussion was around BMW HID bulbs in cars built around the same time as m35.

Fair enough I think mine are ok but not as powerful as I'd hoped but as you say I don't use mine much. I'm in no hurry to replace them and thought I'd ask as I hadn't heard that the lose brightness over time previously. What are new bulbs worth anyway?

• 3 weeks later...

New bulbs surely produce more light!

always running with lights on (law tells so even in shiny days)

3 month ago i replaced oem bulbs (i believe factory ones, never changed before) with Osram 66050 (d2r for OEM installation), 50USD/pair - difference is visible

6000k bulbs put out an icy white light with a hint of blue. Sunlight is typically around the 4500k (white spectra), hence why manufacturers use that figure. The higher you go in k number, light quality reduces. 8-10,000k is useless as its in the violet spectra.

Not sure why Nissan, in their wisdom went with a spread reflector instead of a projector type lense.

In saying that, I converted my R32 to HID with the projector type lense & the the light dispersion was crap, nowhere near as sharp as it was in my E30 BMW (I ran 6500k & halogen high beam on the highway was not needed!). So in saying that, the reflector setup inside the projector has alot to do with how well the transfer of light occurs.

From memory, in my C34 S2 they are D1R or D2R 6500k, bought off ebay (china) around 2yrs ago, & still going strong.

• 2 years later...
On 23/01/2014 at 0:56 PM, scotty nm35 said:

They will lose brightness over time, but seriously, how many hours a day do you use them on average? They might last years longer, and at the price of OEM burners I would keep the old ones a little longer.

Should have told richzx to replace them lol. Now i'm in charge of replacement so they lasted a further 2 years and 9 months.

Edited by stripey
update names