SAU Community

Extreme Detail - '99 Bnr34 Gt-R V-Spec

xtermin8or

Hi all , just wanted to share my detailing experience and some photos with you guys. My GT-R had foggy lights , swirl marks everywhere and I'd wanted to give it a good clean since I've never detailed it properly since i bought it .

Took it to a place called Affinesse (VIC) , Jerald the owner talked me through the processes involved and after seeing some of his previous work i quickly booked the car in for a well deserved luxurious bath.

Here are some of the pictures , most of them are of the actual detail process and then a little photo shoot that comes with the premium 3 stage detail.

Photos are taken by Affinesse and the captions are written by Jerald .

gzLsS3y.jpg
EfCBQQu.jpg
qJWJ9Yt.jpg
Wheel Woolies x Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
uXvK8mL.jpg
A8KFZE7.jpg
sPAkJIK.jpg
5jw5GI0.jpg
Optimum Car Wash x CT18
wy8cwoy.jpg
Prepping the 50/50
ZSkuAYl.jpg
HD Cut x BnS Microfibre Cutting | M205 x LC Black
eilOKab.jpg
Took out the side indicators to clean behind
fFtKM9x.jpg
Clear runs on the bumper. 1 of 3.
bZ9zwi7.jpg
Wet sanded with 1200, 2000, 4000 and then polished
j69BXRa.jpg
Before correction
0xui7rh.jpg
cBwuMEo.jpg
EZjC3a1.jpg
X6I0drf.jpg
J261oKz.jpg
K9AodY7.jpg
The BBS logo was a bit cloudy
J8FHJ8T.jpg
Polished with HD Uno x LC Black
AePygfD.jpg
The rear lights had been heavily oxidised
X6jxAGd.jpg
So they needed a bit of a wetsand. Exact same process as headlight restoration.
Eio51PO.jpg
50/5- wait...70/30?
hfItS3C.jpg
Such a little detail really adds back visual value to the car
6aNMYt7.jpg
Applying Sonax Premium Class Carnauba via Dodo Juice Finger Mitt
Mkf5HFV.jpg
Optimum Edgless - Always the MF of choice for me.
oIZ9hrR.jpg
I was stunned by the gloss and depth of the Sonax Carnauba (especially on the fender). And that was just after one coat.
jfCeZWC.jpg

And so begins the night photoshoot. I was feeling like doing something different this time. Different colour tones and more vintage effects.
JwA8pYx.jpg
2hCR9UX.jpg
2AG9mMA.jpg
Of course, as a fellow GT-R enthusiast, a tribute to Paul Walker - May he rest in peace.
RswMitq.jpg
At 5 in the morning, I became engrossed in the taillights.
juQId6R.jpg
00dPJQh.jpg
After the car meet, we recooped for a daytime shoot
BKyc2CZ.jpg
DZJbrhD.jpg
AoIX6qJ.jpg
I was surprised I was able to capture the metallic fleck on a 17-55mm Lens rather than my usual 100mm Macro. The wax just kept on impressing.
rKGKgQQ.jpg
X1P22r1.jpg
Wheels coated with Finish Kare FK1000P, Tyres with HD Tyre Gel
dFHZam7.jpg
Normally I'm a big fan of Optimum Opti-Bond due to it being water-based and low-gloss, however the HD Tyre Gel is simply amazing if you want high gloss. After very high speeds, we found absolutely zero sling on the tyres.

I was amazed at the results after seeing it in person .

Thanks everyone for reading
Edited by xtermin8or
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Epic result, I think I need to get me a tub of that Sonax wax. The wheel cleaner is excellent too, bought some a while ago, doesn't stink as bad as some other similar products

Wetsanding is basically sanding the clear coat with really fine sandpaper and water for lubrication. Works great for taking off blemishes or flattening "orange peel" that some cars either have from factory of after paint repairs. But, wouldn't recommend anyone trying it (if you haven't done it before) without some practice on scrap panels first, especially around sharp creases and edges, doesn't take much to go thru the clear if not very careful

Edited by junkie

Epic result, I think I need to get me a tub of that Sonax wax. The wheel cleaner is excellent too, bought some a while ago, doesn't stink as bad as some other similar products

Wetsanding is basically sanding the clear coat with really fine sandpaper and water for lubrication. Works great for taking off blemishes or flattening "orange peel" that some cars either have from factory of after paint repairs. But, wouldn't recommend anyone trying it (if you haven't done it before) without some practice on scrap panels first, especially around sharp creases and edges, doesn't take much to go thru the clear if not very careful

Cheers mate

So its normal sand paper just really fine grit? Does it produce a better result than using the clay bar?

fark im a noob i did two similar replies to this topic

Cheers mate

So its normal sand paper just really fine grit? Does it produce a better result than using the clay bar?

ill try explain it... claying is more of a maintenance thing, while wetsanding is defect rectification.

clay will only remove the crap thats stuck to your clear coat, stuff like brake dust, tree sap, etc but it wont fix any issues with the paint itself. its also pretty genetle on the paint, if done properly

wetsanding on the other hand, its more of an extreme method of fixing paint defects like deep scratches, clear runs and orange peel. its normally used in place of machine polishing for a smaller area to save time and effort. and since it takes off a thin layer of clear everytime, its not something you want to do often. plus, machine polishing is needed afterwards as youre left with a matte surface. if you want to try it yourself, id suggest buy a scrap panel from a wrecker, then get some 1500/2000/2500/3000 grit paper and go nuts.

fark im a noob i did two similar replies to this topic

ill try explain it... claying is more of a maintenance thing, while wetsanding is defect rectification.

clay will only remove the crap thats stuck to your clear coat, stuff like brake dust, tree sap, etc but it wont fix any issues with the paint itself. its also pretty genetle on the paint, if done properly

wetsanding on the other hand, its more of an extreme method of fixing paint defects like deep scratches, clear runs and orange peel. its normally used in place of machine polishing for a smaller area to save time and effort. and since it takes off a thin layer of clear everytime, its not something you want to do often. plus, machine polishing is needed afterwards as youre left with a matte surface. if you want to try it yourself, id suggest buy a scrap panel from a wrecker, then get some 1500/2000/2500/3000 grit paper and go nuts.

Cheer man, makes sense

• 4 weeks later...