SAU Community

R33 Defected! Help Needed! Regency.....

ppl eatr

desperately need my car for a run around for work as money is tight and it got defected for being too low..... it was literally 1 cm to low.... damn sapol like don't they have someone else to pick on.....

so basically I've been searching the net and gathering a whole heap of info on how anal they are going to be and was wondering if I could get some first hand insight into the matter, from people that have been defected and the things that I should look for on the car before it was to go over there......

thanks heaps

each persons experience is different too, from what I have heard/read. Sometimes they will just check the offending cause, other times they will do you over.

Best bet is to get it looking as stock and clean as possible.

also, as Josh said, more info will help people offer more pointers. Otherwise we can only quote the legislation which you can find on the gov website.

99% of the time they will do a full inspection, they are not assholes they are there to do a job, if there's shit wrong with the car don't get shitty at them, it's an old car, get it fixed and you'll be fine.

Good chance you won't get through the first time, there is always something that needs changing or replacing on an old car

Basically what I have stock parts are back on the car. But worried about intercooler Idk what's the deal if allowed to havea hole cut and the piping Is through that going back into engine bay....

Also I don't have a few bits of boot trim basically the bottom and the cover for battery just so that it's not visible.

Also for suspension it's lowered springs and the boots are worn... I'm guessing they will need replacing??

Stupid defect... it's a minor for exhaust to low and that's it and it's flagged as regency... I thought it had to be 3 or more minors for regency and that.... it's stock exhaust and the guy just kinda looked at it then slapped sticker on the car....

am going to cop shop bit later to have a nice condo on this... pre sure they've done a dodgy on me

too low in the eyes of our govornment is a major defect not minor, same as exhaust too loud as it falls under the pollution laws.

Ok it has to be legal height and shockers and cannot be leaking they wont care about the boots around them, 345mm from centre of the rim to top of wheel arch in the guard and 355 rear same deal.

they dont care about trim but you need to have a calsium battery or if its lead acid it must be vented to the outside of the vehicle.

If your bushes are worn you will need to replace them worn balljoints are also a defect, click all of your seatbelts into their holders unclip them and they MUST retract all the way,

the hole for the intercooler is fine so long as it does not touch the rail,

you can only have one induction modification either a pod filter or a front mount intercooler, pick one.

Make sure the child restarint bolts are in place

They WILL perform a brake test so make sure you have some decent pads in, if yours are worn out replace them.

ANY oil leaks are defectable.

Horn must work, if you have fog lights they must work as well, steering wheel must be in good condition and if its aftermarket must be 330mm in diam and have a ADR sticker on the back

Is an approved workshop in South Aust permitted to clear a defect; or does it have to be a gov't agency?

Just asking...

Has to be either a govt. agency or a cop shop Terry.

In regards to what Mungy said, if the car has had an airbag fitted to either front passenger or drivers side, the intercooler and steering wheel needs to be standard/ and or a turn flow cooler using the standard holes.

Also one induction mod doesnt apply unless rules have changed in the last 12 months. That is just for VIC. However if you have standard intake and box i suggest using it.

Car is a s1 but has a s2 front bumper on it so it has foglights next to the indicator..... do i need these to work?

Also suspension... i have no idea what what law is on how low and that it can be.... not much help on sites and that....

Unless something has changed, it's not true at all.

I came in with the defect I had already had fixed (exhaust), and they then defected me for headlights (xenon), 'excessively blue' parkers, and movement in HICAS steering rack, and they disposed of my original JDM flare. I came back the next day with all that stuff fixed, to their surprise. Bleh.

Edit: and here's a link for legal ride-height in SA. As far as I know they only care about the 'eyebrow height' - not the lowest part of the car. http://i.imgur.com/9yWXX.jpg

Im

In w.a so not sure on differences. Ours is lowest part of car

So even if your eyebrow height is ok they can still defect you if you have a big kit on? That is harsh mate. In SA they do not care about lowest part of your car as long as the eyebrow height is with in the legal limits.

Also they can defect you as many times as they want under the word "safety"

• 4 weeks later...