SAU Community

Battery Relocation To Boot, Who Wants Cash?

FordyR31

Hi guys,

Been looking to have my forward facing plenum installed and immediately run into this potential issue. I have been looking at the cheapest possible way to do this and it seems you can buy the kits on ebay for cheapish, roughly $100 less than quoted by a shop. The battery itself I can't get away with cheaply but just seeing if anyone here is an Auto Electrician and could possibly do the work for a cheaper price.

This is the kit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-relocation-Kit-Suits-most-cars-Nissan-Holden-Toyota-Subaru-Ford-Project-/111270401141?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e83b9475&_uhb=1

It was something I had not budgeted for so trying to get as cheap as possible so I can get the car to Jez to do the rest.

Thanks

Liam

Edited by FordyR31

Hey Liam,

The first battery box you linked aren't worth is and as Braden said they don't last long. Depending on how you mount it they aren't very sturdy.

You should consider a Moroso box instead, slightly cheaper. These will bolt directly through the boot floor and are completely sealed with a rubber gasket around the lid. There's also a ventilation tube that will run through the floor (ADR friendly). Also there's a bracket to hold the battery down so it won't rattle around.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/moroso-sealed-plastic-battery-box-13-5-x-11-250-x-9-625-black-mo74051-/140804014395

I had one in my prelude for a few years. Never an issue.

Hey mate im no auto elec but i am a mechanic, have done the relocation in my 32 track car. If you want a hand im in blacktown area in sydney. Can come to you or you can come to my workshop (preferred) and we can fit it. Let me know via pm you can check my race car out and how i did that one see if that what you want :) You will also need to supply proper earth and power cable, you will need about 5-6m of positive cable and negative if you want them both connected to original position. Some U clips to secure the cable, and some short self tapping screws and 2 new battery terminals. Probably $100 worth of stuff there.

Saturdays are best for me at the shop as boss isnt in. Ill charge you a case of jack daniels and a helping hand :) will need to remove carpet, seats front and back to hide it properly :) possibly center console to.

It sounds like a bigger job than I had thought. Thanks for the offer. Let me get the gear together and we can go from there. Thanks! A case of jack and a helping hand is deffinitely a good price for labour. I'll try to organise a battery before anything. Most of the kits I have seen (for reference) have a shorter earth cable and about 5m of Power cable. Both are 32mm2. Does the Earth need to go to the original or is it just easier that way?

get one of these:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=42001

Cops cannot complain, strong and also has a vent if you're not using a deep cycle/AGM/sealed battery.

Cheapest way around it is to buy MIG cable from like BOC or so.. it's equivalent to 2GA cable and is more than enough to start your car, you can get 2GA terminals from JayCar on the cheap (those alloy ones) and get a nice 120amp ANL blade fuse holder.

I did something like that years ago, however the moroso battery box was over $200+ back in the days, they're like $115 on eBay now delivered :)

** lol Owen beat me to it

Yah its a bigger job when the car still has full interior. As you may see in my race car i had nothing lol. So was much more simple to run the cable.

This will give you an idea of what i did. Ignore the amp cable as it was the cheapest option at the time and i dont use the car every day. Just scroll down to see pics.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/395756-cals-budget-32-build/page-3

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/395756-cals-budget-32-build/page-7

The second link has the cable secured properly and shows the types of u clamps im talking about :)

I am in two minds as to wheather I should buy good box and cheaper battery that will do the job or just buy a decent battery to begin with. I have a mate getting back to me with some prices of the parts I need and seems like I will be able to buy those shortly, then work out which will be the best battery/boxed setup for me. The positive cable I am getting a price for is 0 guage and 00 for the earth.

Luke, I did click your link to the track car last night and had a look. I read somewhere in that thread a suggestion to run the cable underneath the car. Would this be the better option? Sounds quicker also?

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

This is for my HR31 Coupe. Basically whatever can do the job. I have the cash for the mods already, just not so much the battery bit. I plan on doing more track days this year so this D34 sounds ideal and cheaper than I expected for something that would do the job well, if it can be mounted sideways or upside down I'm pretty confident it shouldn't leak the right way up over a few bumps.

I am in two minds as to wheather I should buy good box and cheaper battery that will do the job or just buy a decent battery to begin with. I have a mate getting back to me with some prices of the parts I need and seems like I will be able to buy those shortly, then work out which will be the best battery/boxed setup for me. The positive cable I am getting a price for is 0 guage and 00 for the earth.

Luke, I did click your link to the track car last night and had a look. I read somewhere in that thread a suggestion to run the cable underneath the car. Would this be the better option? Sounds quicker also?

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

I would worry more about the box it's held in rather than the battery itself if you're not running a 1200 watt sound system and just need something to crank the engine over.

Also watch out for 0 guage with the battery clamps. Not many places have the clamps for that size, a few audio system places should have them though. Maybe check Carbon Car Systems in Blacktown.