SAU Community

Can Someone Please Give Me An Explanation... Importing Exotics.

10 4

Aka

Able to import Ferrari 360s, Gallardos, Maserati 3200GT / 4200 and a few others.

Why can't we get NSXs (and/or Type R) / M3 CSL / Porsche GT3s etc.

I know if they're sold new here you can't get them but the above Ferraris etc were also sold new here?

Is it a year thing? I know you can't import 92 R32 GTRs and you could import 08 R35 GTRs etc.

It is about year range sometimes. If a car was not sold here in a certain year range then you might be able to import it for that year range only. There is also the issue of the same car but different models, for example the Forester was sold here therefore the Forester STI is not allowed because it's seen as the same car. Some exotics which appear to have been sold here were actually being imported under the CPA low volume and/or SEVS compliance schemes which means that other workshops could also get the evidence to have that model added to their schedule.

I believe those exotics you listed are low volume imports.

Cars like TypeR, Forester, evo wagon, that share a similar chassis to cars that were aleady sold here new are not allowed.

The whole system is designed so that imports have a low impact on local domestic markets.

Edited by BigWillieStyles

Depends on how the manufacturer brings it in as to whether it's classified a low volume import. And a gt2 is still a 911, it applies to the whole model line so 993, 996, 997, etc. So yeah, heaps of 911's sold each model.