SAU Community

Rb30/25 Head Bolt Problem

JRC

Hey all. I just filled my 30 with oil found a leak at the front cam seals. Then noticed one of the head bolts were missing. I'm currently in the process of removing the head because I believe theres a snapped bolt already in there. My question is is this bolt needed The bolt is the m6 one at the front of the engine. Also is it fine to reuse arp studs and nuts.

I did not assemble this engine first.

post-92679-13939898125867_thumb.jpg

I am not using that bolt cos I am lazy. Means if I have to take head off I can leave the intake manifold on.

I have no leaks, using fibre gasket is probably helping.

What gasket is in there?

Is it leaking from there?

Yes you can reuse arp studs.

Edited by superben

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't leaking from there Just the cam seal. I was more concerned when the engine is under pressure. It Hasn't been started yet. Just don't wanna find a milk shake in my sump when I do.

It's a metal gasket I think 1.3mm thick. I pulled the engine out this arvo anyway. I'm gonna take the intake off first and then consider my options if there's a snapped stud.

I'd use it on a MLS head gasket. But if you have been running the engine with it like this for a while now then chances are the damage is either already done, or you wont have a problem

Seriously.... the bolt is not that hard to put in, just do it

89cal likes using the bolt, I dont! :)

With an mls gasket I would use it. And obviously Nissan put it there for a reason.

So it was leaking from the cam seal with the engine not running? That seal must be totally stuffed!

All right sorry for the late reply. Just clear to up so confusion. The engine has never been started full bottom end rebuild and freshened head. The timing belt and gears and all the covers were on the engine when filled with oil. the cam seal was not put on by the previous owner I dunno why. The main head studs under the rocker covers are fine Duncan it was just the m6 bolt at the front of the engine that wasn't put in.

Anyway luckily the bolt went straight in after I removed the plenum so glad there wasn't a snapped bolt in there like I thought.

Thanks for the input

post-92679-13941062931364_thumb.jpg

Obviously its not holding the head on the block, but as far as I'm concerned, if its their you may as well use it.

MLS gaskets need a good seal, every little bit helps :thumbsup:

Are the other 2 installed? I can't remember which way around it is but there is either 2 at the rear and 1 at the front or vise-versa