SAU Community

SAFC and EBC or WOLF3D??

200zRRR

Hey peeps,

Im doing a r33 turbo install on my NICS Rb20det soon.

As im sure you know the NICS ECU does not handle fueling too well and almost nobody can EPROM them so....

I will be needing some form of tuning mod, so i was wondering if you think i should go the SAFC and EBC route or go for a Wolf3d V4?

Costing of the components looks to be about the same but obviously the actual wolf install is going to cost a bit more.

any comments/recommendations/opinions would be appreciated

also any suggestions on who to get to do the install of both turbo and wolf?

cheers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went the way of ebc and afc....over the wolf because i saved money on installation (myself) and got some stuff second hand....

tuning a wolf is more expensive aswell im sure....and with the boost control of a wolf i heard you cant control how the boost comes on like other boost controllers can.

does anyone have any experience with wolf controlling boost?

i went the way of ebc and afc....over the wolf because i saved money on installation (myself) and got some stuff second hand....

tuning a wolf is more expensive aswell im sure....and with the boost control of a wolf i heard you cant control how the boost comes on like other boost controllers can.

Yep, I have a Wolf.

I would recommend the Wolf, it allows fully control and customisation of the fuel, air, ignition, boost settings.

It also takes about 10 mins to install. Which ever way you go the car will need tuning (dyno time) and the Wolf is easy to tune.

I asked many about this and told a full ecu replacement is the way to go.

i have a wolf plug in on my 33 and you can control the boost every 125 rpm to what ever you want

Even if you go AFC and EBC now, you can always upgrade to Wolf if the need arises and sell the AFC/EBC, there's a good market for them.

Thought so about the wolf's boost control :D, I've only ever heard good things about them!

With the Wolf Boost control I can only find a Valve Setting, which increases the boost depending on the value value. Is there another setting to set the actual Boost (PSI) for each 125rpm??

The boost cut is in PSI but then again it only drops it back to a Boost Valve setting

Just means you need to test it out with a few trips up and down the road.

only thing that worries me is that lots of the cars that have got wolfs have blown up....

Its all to do with the tunning, if the tunning is right then your not gonna blow your engine up. Its the same with any programable management system not just wolf. I have had 3 wolfs, version 3 and version 4 on my old rb20 and now version 4 plug in on my rb25 and never had any troubles.

if they were all the same price and installation costs the same what would you choose paul?

microtech, wolf, autronics or haltech?

nothing against the wolf but everyone didnt think anything of wolf until Ant started hitting big figures with his wolf....

im not trying to say im an expert but wolf ecu seem to be in the more less hardcore category of ecus, if you want serious power on any project i have seen no one has chosen a wolf.....why is this?

On the contrary, some high-power engines have discovered the limits of a PowerFC, and switched to a Wolf :)

I'm aiming for about 340-350rwhp soon, and considering ECU choices carefully.... keep the ideas coming people!

yeh i am thinking the wolf is looking the better option, however am i better to spen the money on a 32 rb20det install?

This would be great but requires me to run a whole new loom for it :)

Plus rip out the current motor (which is running fine atm)

So...im thinking ill stick with the NICS (i know its not the best engine ever made) and run the RB25 turbo, go the wolf install and see what i get from the tune.

SST the go for the wolf install/tune? What sorta $$$ would i be looking at?

ta

Its worth considering wolf v4 doesnt have sequencial injection. Where as your powerfc, autronics and microtech ltx12 does. Of the modified rb25s that have blown up this year so far, which ones have had wolf? Im sure the mortality rate of rb25s in the eastern states is not as bad.