SAU Community

Can anyone solve my fuel problem

Kako si :D

Give us a call on 9631 2470 after 6:30pm tonight and we can book you in to look at your car.

It sounds like your oxy sensor is shot and just needs to be replaced. The cost of the sensor is around $100 (bosch not nissan) and around $70 to install/wire in.

Valent

If you pop the hood, and check out the pipe heading off the rear of the turbo you'll see a plug like thing sticking out of the pipe. That's your O2 sensor.

I'm getting about 320km's to a tank (down to 1/4) and that is driving "sanely" (only occasionally giving it a quick squirt), and my car (white) is always covered in black soot. I reckon it's running rich. What does everyone else think?

wil..

I've got exactly the same problem CroatianDlite. I'm going to get my o2 sensor changed first I think.

where are you going to get your part from? nissan or bosch? or other? please tell me... when are you going to do it?

see i still get the worst fuel economy... its such BS. if i didnt just respray my car i swear i would of traded it in by now... but i just love the rest of the car... haha.

could be a couple of things,  

1)  a leak where the new unleaded only filler cap got installed for compliance,

2) a leaking/cracked fuel hose

3) leaking fuel tank

i get a bit of fuel vapor out my filler through the breather hole, but i still get 500Km per tank so i havent worried about it!

just something you could have a look for!!

I am thinking that Craved breathes that 'bit of vapour' in through his nose!! :cheers: 500 km per tank(?)....have u got the 4 banger version engine? :wave:

no disrespect intended friend, but I would be proud of that!!

Spit.

ps.I too get that smell,at those times, and always seems to be when my girlfwend gets in the car

I had petrol smell in my GTR when I first got it and found the problem to be the first option in what craved said, the unleaded only filler cap was not installed correctly and the whole thing just popped out. As for your "Stuttering" problem....it could be two things.. 1) faulty fuel pump or 2) faulty turbo. My brother had this exact problem on his 180SX...turned out being the turbo...

I had petrol smell in my GTR when I first got it and found the problem to be the first option in what craved said, the unleaded only filler cap was not  installed correctly and the whole thing just popped out. As for your "Stuttering" problem....it could be two things.. 1) faulty fuel pump or 2) faulty turbo. My brother had this exact problem on his 180SX...turned out being the turbo...

i have noticed that the fuel filler thing is kinda loose.

as for ur second answer... all i can say is DAMN lol... hmmm im geting the O2 sensor done tomorrow - so ill see how it goes. then get back to you all ok :cheers:

• 2 years later...

i had an issue, where in one car it had a bosch fuel pump installed and where the cap on tod of the tank screws down to hold the pump, the rubber seal bit up there was leaking, very much the same thing, really crap economy, very familure smell of fuel... i just replaced the rubber bit & re tightened it up and hey presto... i also was noticing a small puddle when i filled that car right up... just a thought

Has anyone actually had a look for a leak in the fuel system?

Leaks in the intake pipwork or manifold?

Cleaned the MAF?

Has anyone TESTED your purge canister?

Has anyone TESTED the coolant temp sensor?

Has anyone TESTED the O2 sensor?

Has anyone TESTED the coil packs?

Why start replacing parts if these items haven't been tested or checked?

Most regular mechanics would have no bloody idea of where to start. The first step to solving a problem is identifying the syptoms, second step is understanding the system.

Goodluck....and if you need to know how to test any of the sensors or perform any of the checks, PM me and I'll run through them with you.

sounds like every r33 has fuel consumption issues

i too get the smell of fuel vapours and can see them when reversing on a hot day

apparnlety its the seal of the fuel cap to tank

ive replaced my o2 sensor (bosch) made only a small difference

not sure what else to try fixing

have even adjusted my tune for better economy

can manage 350/370 around town

not sure on the highway

my sparkies are a couple months old. put in platinum spark plugs, straight from nissan... cost me a bit too.

tuned - i havnt ahd it tuned... what exactly am i looking for when i get it tuned??

i mena its had a service and all that ... every 5000kms or so....

That's your problem.

Nissan give out the wrong plugs.