SAU Community

Can anyone solve my fuel problem

I was wondering if anyone out there can solve my problem.

I have an r33 gtst, and the first issue is, when i start it or when i come to a quick stop, there is a smell of raw fuel for a few seconds. its very annoying, and i belive its also got something to do with my low km / tank... i only get 250km (and thats pushing it) out of a tank. the car is pretty much stock, except exhaust and 18's.

ive been to a few mechanics who can not figure it out!!!

also this has prob got something to do with the first issue... when i give it a hit... first gear is fine, and then in second and third and so on the car ummm this is hard to explain but it "Stutters"... like it goes through the revs and at about 3K rpm it like isnt getting enough fuel or something and stutters for a sec and then continues... there is no particular pattern, it happens through all gears, but i cannot predict when. and on the odd occasion, it doesnt happen at all!!!

and all in all im not impressed with the fuel consumption. i know its not gonna be great, but for a standard r33, its gotta be better than 250km per tank.

has anyone got any solutions or know anyone that might know. im very particular about my car, and im not gonna let any dodgy person work on it. ???

im from sydney..................

I am having a similiar problem with my fuel usage. I have only had my R33 for three weeks. I will try putting injector flush in tank then see, but at the moment i am getting 75 km out off 20 lt. I spoke to a couple of people and they think it might be the coolant sensor. This will have the result of causing the motor not to know the temp of the coolant and run at what it would if the engine was cold.

I will see, I have just filled my tank up.

yeah dude... one mechanic said that... the coolant sensor... i might give it a try i think its about 100 bucks. but there was also the oxygen sensor, which is a shit load more.. or it could be the other way around! lol... either way it was a lot of money for me back then so i might go ahead and change that now....

how old are your spark plugs and has your car been tuned recently ?

my sparkies are a couple months old. put in platinum spark plugs, straight from nissan... cost me a bit too.

tuned - i havnt ahd it tuned... what exactly am i looking for when i get it tuned??

i mena its had a service and all that ... every 5000kms or so....

doing the diagnostic mode for the ECU would be a good idea to check your sensors. from there theres just alot of things it could be unfortunately :D u cant tune a stock ecu car so if its serviced and fresh plugs thats the main thing.

']doing the diagnostic mode for the ECU would be a good idea to check your sensors. from there theres just alot of things it could be unfortunately :D u cant tune a stock ecu car so if its serviced and fresh plugs thats the main thing.

do i have to go to like Nisamo (UAS) or somewhere like that to get that done? a mechanic that looks after imports... any good ones around? i hear of many butchers.

i havent had a look for that topic myself on R33 diagnostics, but its a simple process to do. If your not confident doing it yourself, id say ring a proper import type workshop and just say you want to do the diagnostic and how easy is it to do yourself or can they do it. if its easy they should let you know how to do it, or take it in and they should sort it out easily enough. its just a matter of removing the cover off the ecu and putting a meter in there somewhere and interpretting the output from the computer.

id probably prefer a proper import based workshop to test it as they most likely have more experience in these areas than any old mechanic would.

Take it down to UAS and ask John to spend an hour or 2 looking over it and see if they can find anything out of the ordinary. They work on Skylines every day of the week so their will be some quick things they can check straight up.

Take it down to UAS and ask John to spend an hour or 2 looking over it and see if they can find anything out of the ordinary. They work on Skylines every day of the week so their will be some quick things they can check straight up.

yes that sounds like my best option... thanks to all the others for ur help :D

could be a couple of things,

1) a leak where the new unleaded only filler cap got installed for compliance,

2) a leaking/cracked fuel hose

3) leaking fuel tank

i get a bit of fuel vapor out my filler through the breather hole, but i still get 500Km per tank so i havent worried about it!

just something you could have a look for!!

could be a couple of things,  

1)  a leak where the new unleaded only filler cap got installed for compliance,

2) a leaking/cracked fuel hose

3) leaking fuel tank

i get a bit of fuel vapor out my filler through the breather hole, but i still get 500Km per tank so i havent worried about it!

just something you could have a look for!!

F*ck 500kms... i dream of that day. is that what everyone averages?

I average around 400km and my exhaust tip is as black as black can be. My best is ~640 on a trip to Canberra and back for the Summernats earlier this year. That involved ~400km of hwy driving @ 110km/h :D

I average around 400km and my exhaust tip is as black as black can be. My best is ~640 on a trip to Canberra and back for the Summernats earlier this year. That involved ~400km of hwy driving @ 110km/h :D

yeah why does the tip get so black... i got that too... and not only that, sometimes i can see puffs of black smoke come out!!!

there are so many things i need to learn about my car its not funny :) it shits me that i dont know....