SAU Community

Rb26/30 Into A Gtr Query

fly510

Hi All,

I hve a quick question regarding a possible 26/30 into an r34 GTR. Assuming I was going to try using a, unopened stocko rb30 bottom end is it possible to make all the necessary changes to the bottom end while its assembled?

I spoke to the guy Im getting the adapter bracket off and he reckons its do-able with the bits required for his kit.

My understanding is Yes you can. I'm assuming you are getting the plate off the PF guy?

The issue you may have is the legality of such an old block in a new chassis

The RB26 head bolts wont fit apparently. You will either need to enlarge the rb30 block holes/thread, or run an rb25 head stud kit.

Do this so i can see if it works well so i'll know whether i should do it too :)

depends on the adapter plate kit, the one I used there is no way in hell you can do it while the engine is assembled, if you have one of the ones that just bolts on then yeah should be possible

I have just done the 2630 into my R34 GTR and my advise is this DON'T DO IT, get the BC 2.9 kit and be done with it

since your not putting in the Whole engine and are going to use all the factory emission gear, engineering shouldn't be a problem, if you use the stroker kit no engineering required

RB25 head studs is what I used with the 26 washers under the ARP washers to take up the extra length, as the nuts on mine bottomed out, and spread the load as the ARP washers are smaller the the 26 ones OD so they dont sit very nice in the head, car has made 467awkw @ 28psi so far with out any problems

My understanding is Yes you can. I'm assuming you are getting the plate off the PF guy?

The issue you may have is the legality of such an old block in a new chassis

The RB26 head bolts wont fit apparently. You will either need to enlarge the rb30 block holes/thread, or run an rb25 head stud kit.

Do this so i can see if it works well so i'll know whether i should do it too :)

Yep, I was looking at the PF one. Current status is mechanic is pulling the engine out this week (Im about to travel for 3 weeks and he already had the car) and will assess the bearing damage. He's built a few RB's in his time and will do bearings and crank grind if possible.

Otherwise I'll be looking more closely at this option :D.

depends on the adapter plate kit, the one I used there is no way in hell you can do it while the engine is assembled, if you have one of the ones that just bolts on then yeah should be possible

I have just done the 2630 into my R34 GTR and my advise is this DON'T DO IT, get the BC 2.9 kit and be done with it

since your not putting in the Whole engine and are going to use all the factory emission gear, engineering shouldn't be a problem, if you use the stroker kit no engineering required

RB25 head studs is what I used with the 26 washers under the ARP washers to take up the extra length, as the nuts on mine bottomed out, and spread the load as the ARP washers are smaller the the 26 ones OD so they dont sit very nice in the head, car has made 467awkw @ 28psi so far with out any problems

Thanks mate, thats exactly the info I was after. The BC kit sounds like a decent thing. Anyone on here done it?

The adapter plates come with a stencil that outlines where you have to grind on the block, you could seal off the crankcase and do it, but not something id feel comfortable doing.

Dont forget to weld up the rear sump to tranny holes and redrill them as the sump will sit a cm lower and need those holes relocated a little.

As usual XKLABA is spot on, a stroker is so much simpler and can keep the car legal.

• 3 weeks later...