SAU Community

Getting Pulled Over For White Lights/hids?

skytan12

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what are the stats on people getting pulled over for their white/hid headlights? I've been reading about how HIDs are not legal, to be legal they must auto level or self clean so I was just wondering the people getting pulled over for it in WA because most threads I've been reading are the guys over on eastern states. Thanks guys!

If you have projector headlights, they normally dont ping you for HID, even though it is illegal

But i have heard plenty of ppl getting pulled over/yellow sticker for HIDs on normal reflective headlights as the glare is unbearable

If you have projector headlights, they normally dont ping you for HID, even though it is illegal

But i have heard plenty of ppl getting pulled over/yellow sticker for HIDs on normal reflective headlights as the glare is unbearable

so xenon headlights on r34 are good to go?

nope

nope as in r34 xenon headlights are not projector headlights or nope as in they are illegal?

did my reading up on the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002 and it mentions

Part 8 Lights and reflectors Division I General Requirements for lights

s69 Prevention of Glare

"A light, except a high-beam headlight, fitted to a vehicle must be built and adjusted to provide necessary amount of light, without dazzling the driver of another vehicle approaching, or being approached by, the vehicle."

if i understood that correctly if it doesn't dazzle anyone it should be good? i mean the "adjusted" could just mean manually adjusted?

also in s75 Performance of Headlights

it just talks about how the light should be white, project its main beam ahead of vehicle and headlights must be fitted so their lights do not reflect of the vehicle into the driver's eye

• 2 weeks later...

Fact is you're all wrong. For HID headlights to be legal in W.A, they must be a factory sealed unit. All globes that you are fitting are illegal and you can be issued with a defect. I asked about them recently when passing my r34 over the pits.

Fact is you're all wrong. For HID headlights to be legal in W.A, they must be a factory sealed unit. All globes that you are fitting are illegal and you can be issued with a defect. I asked about them recently when passing my r34 over the pits.

So as long as the HID headlights are factory OEM headlights its okay? what do you mean by all globes that i'm fitting are illegal?

• 2 weeks later...

So as long as the HID headlights are factory OEM headlights its okay? what do you mean by all globes that i'm fitting are illegal?

Nope they are not, they have to be changed over from xenon to normal ones when imported to meet Aus standards. The 4300k arent very annoying if you have them leveled right. I never had any problems with them for factory xenons even when i put 5000k globes in. aslong as you dont have a hid kit in there or replace the factory d2r globes with 6000k and over?

yeah sorry this is not correct, this is just a lazy answer from someone fobbing you off i think.

they ARE factory fit but dont comply with aust rules. which is why the ORIGIONAL globes are removed and retro fitted with halogen.

this is because they are not self leveling and self washing.

otherwise by that logic i should be able to keep or refit my factory xenon units.

you are correct that anything xenon fitted "ANYTHING XENON FITTED" to a skyline is illegal.

untill an engeneer gets your vehicle complied specifically with ADR this is the case.

i still run xenons, never given a thought to it, never been asked to remove them, still not fussed.

Edited by GH05T

Ditto - i still run xenons, never given a thought to it, never been asked to remove them, still not fussed

I think if the RTA failed you for this then they're just being kents

have heard compliance shops cutting wires and sticking standard globes in but that's a butchers job and can lead to issues down the track

• 1 month later...

Bureaucracy wins over commonsense when you notice...

* dazzle from advertising LEDs by the side of the road at night

* dazzle from Chevvydores from in front or behind

* dazzle from high beams of grog-drinking, weed-smoking coke-hitting no-hopers after dark on Fri/Sat