SAU Community

regapping irridium spark plugs

hwystar

hi guys

just wondering if anyone would be able to help me regap my plugs which was bought and used for 5000km. i live in altona north (western suburb).

anyway i just wanna regap them cos recently after running higher boost, i noticed a lot of exhaust popping on gear changes. if someone can help me out then i would be much appreciative and will shout ya some cold heinekens for your trouble :D:D

please contact me on [email protected] if you can help! thanks

buy a gapping tool from any hardware store/autostore

tap the ground electrode (the hook thing) with the back of the gapping tool till u reach your desired gap (using the gapping took obviously)

what gap are they at now

are u sure u need to gap them, popping DURING gear changes doesnt suggest u need to regap em, popping WHILE revving out a gear on positive boost pressure suggests there a posibility u need to gap them

well some people have tried regapping irridium b4 and i think it worked for them? by the way i got mine at 13bucks each which is quite good and i hate changing plugs every 5-10000km thats y i want the irridiums. they are standard gap at 1.1mm i wanna go to 0.8mm

Nah, dont change the gap of the iridiums.

Get coppers. If you need a part number i can get it for you as i changed mine yesterday...

cost me $17.30 for the lot, and about 20 mins to change them.

My mrs lives in Altona Meadows so im down there 4-5times a week, if you order in a gapping tool, then i can show you how its done if you like?

Lemme know

you shouldn't regap iridium plugs as has been mentioned in the past - it'll destroy the very fine coating of iridium on the electrode
Hrmm I think I had my Iridiums (I think thats what I have, never checked them) regapped about 3mths ago and now only in the last 2wks im getting issues when trying to use 12psi (R33 GTS-t, pretty standard). I personally haven't ever checked the plugs in 47,000km however I got a workshop to check/regap them last time it was in there.

Maybe thats my issue and not the coilpacks. Seems I need to spend another hour or so with the bonnet popped :P