SAU Community

New Here And Need Help

zygoma

Hey guys im new here and I dont know all that about cars but im getting there

So ill make this as easy as possible by asking everything I want to know mostly in one go.

Okay I want to buy a skyline.And im looking to get a loan and get one in the next 4 monts or so. I want to get a r34 4 door (because I have a baby and it would be easier with the car seat and more room)So yes it will be a daily driven car.(with the occasional day out on the track for some fun) But I do have a free on fuel work ute so it's not like I have to drive it everywhere.

Now I know they are pretty old cars so when I buy my 34.i want to gwt a full rebuild kit. (not for power, but to make sure it doesnt brake down anytime soon. I dont want any unexpected issues anytime soon.)

That being said. I do want to EVENTUALLY go to about 5-600hp

So I want a good base to start with. No point in doing it now and having to do it later again...

So I want to make sure how much money I will need and what things ill need to do... now I want to get a rb25det rebuild kit. (From what ive seen +/- $3,200) dunno what it includes really so I dont know if its worth it.. but id also need upgraded brakes. And id like do lower it. (But I dont want to get yellowed)

My budget is about $20 000. For car and all parts needed. Keep in mind id have to pay someone to do all the work for me too.

Ps. Does it matter if I buy a 34 with say, 200 xxx + km if im rebuilding engine?

Amd if someone could just give a rough estimate on how much it would cost for all the parts and labour.

Edited by zygoma

Just as important is who you can go to, when trouble arises or to prevent troubles from happening. So which state do you reside in?

Such a workshop might be able to check..

* VIN with history

* leakdown

* compression

* rust

* genuineness of odometer against wear and tear

...all before you hand over any dough!

• Like 1

Recipe for disaster.....This is coming from a 50 year old father.....what i would tell my own son in this case....

You dont know much about cars, fair enough, not everyone does.

You need to borrow to buy the car, now thats a worry because you may be off the road repairing it, as you said you dont know much so you will be paying for a workshop to do it while paying off the car. (unless your father is like me and will do all the work for you)

You have a baby, owning a Skyline will cost you more than providing for a kid.

You want 600Hp.....go have another 2 kids, its cheaper. :)

Recipe for disaster.....This is coming from a 50 year old father.....what i would tell my own son in this case....

You dont know much about cars, fair enough, not everyone does.

You need to borrow to buy the car, now thats a worry because you may be off the road repairing it, as you said you dont know much so you will be paying for a workshop to do it while paying off the car. (unless your father is like me and will do all the work for you)

You have a baby, owning a Skyline will cost you more than providing for a kid.

You want 600Hp.....go have another 2 kids, its cheaper. :)

I get what your saying haha and thanks for the advice, but like I said I have a free on fuel work ute. Doubble cab. Its the only car I won now anyway. So if I do breakdown and dont have the funds at the time its not a big deal. I have transport. For the whole family.

So im not too fused about that.

And saying 600hp. I didnt mean anytime soon. Im saying in years to come.

And thats why ibwanna buy a rebuild kit befor I start driving it as a daily. Too make sure its not gonna break down on me soon.

Just as important is who you can go to, when trouble arises or to prevent troubles from happening. So which state do you reside in?

Such a workshop might be able to check..

* VIN with history

* leakdown

* compression

* rust

* genuineness of odometer against wear and tear

...all before you hand over any dough!

Thanks man. Im located in perth. nor. joondalup area.

I do plan on having a michanic come out with me when I go buy the car but how much are they normally?

And how will he do compression tests etc without me sending the car in for the day?

as Terry posted above +

34GTT 4 door - $10k

Rebuild if/when it blows - NOT before

WA guys will know who is best to take with you or the car to check any prospects out

500 to 600hp - I'd give that idea away

A more realistic aim - between 400 to 450HP

Engine Rebuild - $8k to $20k

• Like 1

as Terry posted above +

34GTT 4 door - $10k

Rebuild if/when it blows - NOT before

WA guys will know who is best to take with you or the car to check any prospects out

500 to 600hp - I'd give that idea away

A more realistic aim - between 400 to 450HP

Engine Rebuild - $8k to $20k

Okay so dont worry about rebuilding it untill it breaks. Thats a relief cos that means even less money will go out my pocket.

But lets say I break it pretty bad. A engine rebuild will be between 10-20 but is that even worth it? When you can just buy and new one for 10?

And yeah 450 would be fine. Id be happy. I mean at 1st I only plan to have 300. I just want to beat some of my mates v8s hahaha :)

Thanks man. Im located in perth. nor. joondalup area.

I do plan on having a michanic come out with me when I go buy the car but how much are they normally?

And how will he do compression tests etc without me sending the car in for the day?

Pay $250 for your mechanic to get it up on a hoist and check it all. Might take a couple of hours. And you take a list to check off too (then you won't get too emotional).

VIN# can be checked here on SAU via the thread "VINS Fasted" but an importer in WA can also find out about some of the history of the car in Japan.

Make friends with the WA SAU Members (as you scroll down) and go to a few events.

• Like 1

Okay thanks for all the help guys.

Ive been talking to my step das and he said we might be able to get me a loan from our business. But then the car has to be sold at a dealership... does that make things allot harder or easier?

I can afford it. I jist dont want to wait 2 years saving up. Simple.

That means you can't afford it........

Spending money you don't have on a skyline especially to modify is not responsible.

But hey, your life. Make whatever bad decision you want.

Edited by Ben C34

Well I dont see the problem? Ill be paying off my step dad. (The business im working for)

Im getting a share in the business in the future too. So its not like paying it back will be a problem.

And as for the mods. It will be stock for a wile seeing as I dont have to do a rebuild kit till it breaks. So really all ill probably do is a respray. Service and wheels. Maybe coilovers

Price up a respray...

Here is my genuine advice.

Seeing as you don't need a car,you only want one don't be in a rush.

As you mentioned you don't know much about cars so start saving and during that time learn by reading as much on here as you can.

Look at the classifieds and buy parts when you see bargains.

You will likely find a nice shell with a popped engine and then pretty quickly a nice engine. People often sell high power turbo setups.

Before you know it you have learnt heaps,got bargains and actually own what you have.

All the best with it.

Edited by Ben C34
  • Like 1

Price up a respray...

Here is my genuine advice.

Seeing as you don't need a car,you only want one don't be in a rush.

As you mentioned you don't know much about cars so start saving and during that time learn by reading as much on here as you can.

Look at the classifieds and buy parts when you see bargains.

You will likely find a nice shell with a popped engine and then pretty quickly a nice engine. People often sell high power turbo setups.

Before you know it you have learnt heaps,got bargains and actually own what you have.

All the best with it.

Yeah see that sounds like something id prefer to do. But now here comes the catch. I live with my missus and her mum. So space is a issue. I dont just have the space to have a rolling shell standing arroumd for a couple months.

So I was also thinking of just getting a stagea.