SAU Community

370 Gt P Sway Bar

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of asking a stupid question, should sway bars be replaced using a platform style hoist so that the vehicle is still resting on its wheels or can it be done with the wheels removed and suspended from the chassis? I'm guessing the former would make more sense for ease of installation given what its purpose is.

Not a stupid question at all. As I understand it, both methods of lifting the car will result in some tension on the bars.

In the past when changing them I have undone the nuts on the sway bar links, jacked the car up, then gently let each lower control arm down on bricks until the end link bolts are loose and just slide out. Then you can unbolt the main sway bar U brackets, remove sway bar and replace.

The only time away bars are under tension is when one wheel is higher it lower than the other.

So whether you lift it on a hoist or use ramps makes no difference when installing.

• 1 month later...

Just installed the Whiteline 370Z swaybars front and rear on my 370GT sedan...

Could not believe the weight difference between OEM and aftermarket... Also noticed that I will have to get back under the car to replace the rear links.. I knew I should have ordered the whole set... Once it stops raining, will go out and see how much difference it makes...