SAU Community

Where Can I Find A Nismo Or Equivalent Gearbox Mount For An Automatic R33?

sonicz

oh - and I'm trying to source a gearbox mount for the transmission on the 34 as it's soft and I fairly certain that's where my issue last issue is.

(Just replaced all suspension and steering components on the 34 and I still have this annoying slight movement :( )

Without sticking my nose too far into this conversation

it may have more to do with the history of how the vehicle has been treated/driven, where it has been stored and what roads it travelled along with changes/modifications including power, rim & tire size/car height.

-----------------

Although I'd have to agree with Sonic and the saying "they don't build em like they used to"

I currently have an 89 GTSt (stock), 92GTR (built) and 2001 GTT (mild). So not a fair comparison due to models but

I have found The GTT is tinnier, interior is cheaper/tackier, steering, suspension components and mounts have worn out a lot faster, rubbers, seals and paintwork is worse for wear than the earlier models.

Absolutely. Although my particular car had 23000 genuine looking km on it when it arrived in Aus. I've driven 149000 of the 150000 that have gone on it since. Most of them commuting in the suburbs. Some quick hills driving. No drifting beyond hanging the tail out every now and then. It does get driven hard around corners and such - tyres only last 10000km at most, but I don't cane it all the time. So in terms of its treatment, it's probably just about ideal for a Skyline. Yet it still clunks when you go from trailling throttle to on throttle in 4th and 5th at 50-60 km/h. When it's warm anyway. When it's still all cold, there's nothing noticable.

makes sense^

Is there a chance a change in GB/diff fluids could help somewhat if there's a difference when hot and cold.

Outside of a rebuild of your GB I'm not sure what could help in your case.

Edit. I also agree it can be the result of the sum of all the parts.

Edited by Sinista32

Yeah, fluids might make a difference. It does has shockproof lightweight in the box because it needs it. Going thicker might mean 2 oil changes. One to the thicker oil and then one back when it won't change gears! I know this is a sign that the gearbox is probably contributing to the backlash, perhaps significantly. But here's the thing. The old RB25DE box behind the RB20 and the old viscous diff and the old axles were all swapped out for what is in there now. The old gearbox was in fine condition. The old diff whined a bit and wasn't a great LSD, but it didn't have a lot of slop. The old CVs seemed fine. The new(er) gearbox, built diff, S14 axles all felt fine when putting the car together. The driveline behaviour ended up being the same. The only parts that really haven't changed are the splines in the rear hubs and 2 out of 3 of the tailshaft joints, and they don't feel terrible either.

Oh, I absolutely agree. Car should be really tight. Just isn't. The funny thing is that the 5th gear roll on-off clunk gets worse as the car gets up to temperature. Cold gearbox and diff oil might mask it. The possibility that the helical gears in the diff are a bit worn has occurred to me, and so I'm always on the lookout for a replacement. The possibility that the gearbox needs an internal freshen up is there - but the problem there is that such freshen ups seldom include gears. Exploratory surgery would be needed.

I have driven others that are better, one or two that were a lot worse. My car isn't awful to drive, it's just annoying.

IMO if you are going to do it, its probably worth doing everything, in the sense that that gears are pretty much vital on an high km or hard driven gearbox overhaul, because like piston rings and block diameter, they wear out over time. I know its huge huge bucks, but each time the gears make contact they strip a a few atoms of metal of each other. Over all those trillions of revolutions of each gear against another, you may end up with a significant number of grams of metal missing from you gears, gone in the oil and crevices of the housing and magnet/filters etc. That said due to the soft engagement nature of automatic transmissions, I don't think any gear wear slop on an auto box would be as noticeable when it comes to feeling it as you drive (because of the soft engagement pass thru the torque converter and clutch plates), yet my auto skyline suffers the loose drive line as well that I am sure are downstream from the gearbox, so I think the problem for me at least lies elsewhere. And yes, I aware you would more than know all this already.

But you could always add some saw dust to the gearbox oil to see if the gearbox is the culpit :whistling::ban:

As for km on a car, I personally never ever trust them and only go based on the condition of the car. Unless you know the first owner of the car and know exactly when they bought and how much they drive it, how can you be sure. Every skyline still has 90,000km on the odo, and every skyline out of japan has 30k, 20+ years later. Yeah right.

Anyway, back on topic, I really wish somebody could comment on that ebay nismo mount harsteppa posted in this thread on page 1. Do you guys think thats a genuine mount?

Edited by sonicz

• 3 weeks later...

Had a feeling this seller is a bit of a dud. I ordered the part around the time we were talking about it and have patiently been waiting for weeks and weeks for it to come. There is still no sign of the item and the seller has not replied to any attempts to make communication with him over the course of the weeks. Looks like I'm going to have to paypal claim my money back and look for the part elsewhere....

Just my 2cents on JDMPlanet, I bought genuine Nissan rocker cover gasket kit through them and had no issues 100% genuine.

I too was told these outrageous lies. But I don't know what else to tell ya, I have an R33 series 2 auto, and this part
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISMO-GEARBOX-TRANSMISSION-MOUNT-NISSAN-SKYLINE-ECR33-ER34-R33-R34-RB25-RB20-RWD-/220905653678?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336f00c5ae

fits, even though it says manual only. I measured every point and couldn't find a difference.
Bought from the seller in the link too, $87 delivered and got it in like 5 days from JPN

Edited by sonicz

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks again for that info hardsteppa. Got myself a "manual only" nismo mount and it went in perfect in the auto, even though nowhere else in the world is compatibility listed (infact it was explicitly denied by some sellers), other than your info. Forums working like they should (not granny shifting).

Here is the old Auto mount if anyone is interested.

15aFIub3cfy7U4JapeZS2CsRjdkS00.jpg